Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

GoMo is more of a bill-pay type of thing, than a pay as you go/pre-pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Postmobile is 31 days. Tesco, Vodafone, three are all 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

28 days is indeed 7x4 so that actually is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tweet says no change for existing (pre July 5th) customers.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

No, it says any memberships that begin before 4th July will run on the monthly cycle, but after that they all revert to 28 day cycle. The excuse from 48 that all other prepay operators run a 28 day billing cycle is pathetic, why not just say we have to put our prices up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Yes it's a blatant breach of their widely advertised offer of a price guaranteed for life. It also devalues customers' credit.

No-one I know has received this notice yet. Anyone who does should lodge an email complaint with 48 and Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

Assuming you have auto-renew turned on, that tweet suggests there's no change i.e. it will remain monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

Just got the email announcing this price increase.

Any renewals paid before 5th July will get a calendar month, any paid on or after 5th will be 28 days only. So everyone on 48 will be affected, depending on renewal date.

Bit of a sneaky trick, IMO.

PS Clear mobile billing cycle is 30 days, per their T&Cs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

So it's basically adding on another month.

As per the terms it stated 7.99 for life. I couldn't give a shite really as what's 7.99 over a year about .60 cent or something a month.

But everyone should be emailing them and comreg to complain just for being sneaky bastards.

If they want to bring it in it should be for new customers from this date only.

You can email comreg all you want but this is a notified contract change so you'll get nowhere other than wasting your time.

Same with emailing them. You are still getting the price for life, just the definition of the month is changing.

I'd recommend social media bombardment.

• Advertisement

Social media bombardment can easily be ignored. The only power you have to influence their conduct is with your wallet and the courts. Don't like the conditions of the service, switch to a competitor with better conditions. If you can prove they are breaching their contract with you, you can sue. Look at Eir recently.

If keeping you and others on the exact same tariff under the exact same conditions "for life" is starting to cost them money then the business shuts down for everyone if they don't change things around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's still false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

They have this at the top of their Terms and Conditions page - https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions

* From 5th July 2023, 48 plan allowances will expire after 4 weeks and references to “monthly memberships” shall be replaced by “4 week plans” with effect from 5th July 2023.​

And then there is this nugget covering themselves as well:

2. Changes to the Terms and Conditions

2.1 We may make changes to the Terms and Conditions (including changes to price and tariff details and rules) at any time. We may stop providing certain price plans and tariffs and replace them with new price plans and tariffs at any time. We may make changes to the 48 Services or withdraw certain parts of the 48 Services at any time and we can introduce new terms to the Terms and Conditions at any time.

2.2 We will let you know at least 1 month in advance of changes we make to the Terms and Conditions by contacting you directly in the ways allowed by Section 16 below. If you do not agree with any changes we make then you are free to stop using the 48 Services. If you do not contact us telling us that you do not agree to the change within 30 days of the date we notify you then your continued use of the 48 Services as changed by us indicates to us that you agree to the change.

2.3 We may need to change your phone number or other numbers and access details we provide to you as part of the 48 Services. We will let you know if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not in regards to price it isn't. And they can change their advertising now to suit this change. Any previous advertising refers to a time before this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

No it is clearly false advertising. It's surprising they're trying it on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My wife got the email this morning. I didn’t yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It represents an 8.3% rise in price, unless they reduce the cost of renewal by the 8.3%.

Of course, Vodafone have the condition that their prices will increase annually by 3% plus the consumer price increase. Much more significant at the current inflation rate.

I suppose I will just suck it up.

I got two identical emails in a row - you can have one of mine, if you like. 😋

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t worry, I got it in the afternoon 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ECookie13

Three started this I think - not sure how there is not some legislation for this carry-on as it's not as advertised. They advertise it as a month.

I think Lycamobile still is 30/31 days per period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

New website says 6.50 now for first 3 plans every 28 days then 12.99 after.

Didn't see anything about existing plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great to hear that Comreg are investigating.

We all need to complain to put maximum pressure on 48/Three.

1. Raise a complaint with customer care. They will just give you copy and paste replies.
    2. Email complaints@48months.zendesk.com and ask for a complaint ID.
    3. Contact Comreg.

Let's try to stop this increase.

Thanks.

4. Switch to a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's no cheaper offer on the market, for anyone on 7.99 or 10.99, as far as I can see so that would seem a pointless endeavour.

Other prepay don't specify a fixed price, you simply have a price for the coming month and with notice, they can change it which you can accept or refuse.

With 48 and gomo, for life is interesting. What's to stop them doing 7.99 for 2 weeks as a month is a calendar month, not 28 days.

It'll be interesting. Obv comreg got enough complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"What's to stop them doing 7.99 for 2 weeks as a month is a calendar month, not 28 days."

Eir did this with the €10 payg calls plan and got away with it so doubt Comreg can do much when the precedent has been set. It was set anyway when the month became 4 weeks across all payg plans from Eir, 3 and VF a few years ago.

It'll be out of character for Comreg to do anything about the 48 month shortening. It has all the hallmarks of  looking like they're batting for the consumer when the reality is different.

I mean even people getting a "life sentence" in prison get a release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a new offer on this looking at the homepage? Seems to be now €6.50 a month for your first 3 plans and €12.99 after.

Assume this means €6.50 a month (aware of the 28 days change) if I just want one plan?

• Advertisement

Yes but the difference is that no other company promises a "for life" price. Eir only offered a current month price and didn't promise beyond that. So it'll be interesting for the legal minds to work through this. Not changing price but changing duration could be seen as price changing overall

Advertisement