Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Exactly. The Phoenix Park, for example, has been bang-on average for daily max this month so far, going by the daily datapoints on the lower graph below. Some days above the average, some below.

Rain has been well below average from the 3rd of the month onwards. Today's been another lovely day, sunny and currently 19 degrees (i.e. around 2 above average). People really do need a reality check sometimes.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

527016.png

527017.png

Would you have stats on sunshine?

For me personally I prefer sun over anything else. I think the majority would too. We've one of the dullest climates in the world and cloudy days can be depressing. And lack of sunshine has been linked to several health conditions.

Also extended dry periods (7 to 10 days) aren't that uncommon in Ireland - in the East at least. I'm not saying it's a regular occurrence but I wouldn't necessarily say that just because it's been dry that it must therefore be called a great September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Stunning weather down here again today, and I'm not sweating at all like I was all summer.

Will be sad to see it go, but looking forward to crisp autumn days.

Yeah, another incredible day, completely cloudless. We hit the beach with the kids after school (working from home is great!) and the water was the warmest I felt it all summer. Sorry to see this spell end. In the round, 2020 has been fantastic for beach days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Really was a great day in Cork City, was warm, but not humid. About 20 degrees and totally clear skies. Amazing

Started relatively cool and cloudy in Dublin. But began to really brighten up from around 1.30.

Temp got to a very pleasant 19 degrees between 3 and 6pm.

Went for a swim in Seapoint during my lunch break. Was lovely. Hopefully I’ll get one or two more days in the sea before autumn really arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

compsys wrote: »
    Started relatively cool and cloudy in Dublin. But began to really brighten up from around 1.30.

Temp got to a very pleasant 19 degrees between 3 and 6pm.

Went for a swim in Seapoint during my lunch break. Was lovely. Hopefully I’ll get one or two more days in the sea before autumn really arrives.

It honestly wasn't cloudy at all today over in sunny D5! I sat out from about 1130 till 1300 and got a decent colour off the sun. I think this misty seaside cloud can linger in one part of the city and not the other. Or something.

• Advertisement

It honestly wasn't cloudy at all today over in sunny D5! I sat out from about 1130 till 1300 and got a decent colour off the sun. I think this misty seaside cloud can linger in one part of the city and not the other. Or something.

Yeah, I'm in Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown so literally right beside the coast.

Don't get me wrong there was some sun up until 1.30 or so, just not quite the very clear skies that had been forecast.

It really cleared up from the early afternoon onwards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very dark with heavy cloud cover in Galway from dawn to dusk. Looked quite ominous at times in fact so this added some interest. Also, that sickening humid feel we had for much of this month so far seems to have waned a lot in recent days so no complaints.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Dublin Airport's sun total so far this month is running near or just slightly below normal at 98%

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

For me personally I prefer sun over anything else. I think the majority would too. We've one of the dullest climates in the world and cloudy days can be depressing. And lack of sunshine has been linked to several health conditions.

Also extended dry periods (7 to 10 days) aren't that uncommon in Ireland - in the East at least. I'm not saying it's a regular occurrence but I wouldn't necessarily say that just because it's been dry that it must therefore be called a great September.

Global solar radiation is running well compared to the last few Septembers. For the first 20 days it's at 20,600 J/cm², and today will have added to that.

Year | September J/cm²
    2020 | 20600*
    2019 | 31873
    2018 | 29890
    2017 | 29118

* Up to 20th September

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloudy and dark here in Castlebar. Holding dry for about another hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Unpleasant morning in South Dublin thanks to this:

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1308300964449775617

The clear skies were a deep yellow and the rain clouds were green. Poor air quality. Thankfully it seems as though the winds have shifted direction and it's off bothering some other part of Dublin now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy today in cork city, slightly misty at times. Big change from the last few days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy and feeling cool here in Meath, temperatures lowering more over next few days. Temperatures also beginning to lower over a large part of western Europe including northern half of Spain. By Thursday many places not getting above 8 or 9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Was the weather not meant to turn awful today? Not a bad day at all in Dublin 5, not that cold either. I was expecting a huge turn in the weather today with rain for rest of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Was the weather not meant to turn awful today? Not a bad day at all in Dublin 5, not that cold either. I was expecting a huge turn in the weather today with rain for rest of the week

Later on, yes. The rain was only forecast in the west this morning, moving eastwards.

Lovely here for now.

My weather app now only giving some rain this evening and Thursday for Dublin but dry for the rest of the week. Thought the outlook was much worse but tomorrow, Friday and weekend looks dry. Whether that transpires of course is another matter.

Kind of ready for Autumn and winter now, don’t mind the colder weather now as long as it’s dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Currently dull and wet and windy, which is normal in County Wexford while most of the country gets the nice weather :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd love an almost entirely dry Autumn, we need a serious break after almost a year of deluges with Spring the only real break we've had from it and the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

So far September has been better than the period of June 3-August 31 2020. Even today it's a bit overcast and cool in South Kildare but not as miserable as most days in July and August. I hope we get a dryish Autumn and good weather for farmers, they've had a really rough summer of it.

Dry autumn and then a November / December 2010 followed by repeat of winter storm Emma in February / March. Is that too much to ask? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thats too much to ask

Dry autumn and then a November / December 2010 followed by repeat of winter storm Emma in February / March. Is that too much to ask? :-)

It's too much to ask but I want it.

In all seriousness while I don't think this winter will be anything special, I think we may do better than the past 2 winters which wouldn't be difficult.

Snowmageddon is coming. Believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wrong thread. [Changing post]

Seems to be northern blocking at the moment, lets hope its a trend for winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain at the moment. It started about 3.30pm.

Co.Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I really hope we have a really mild winter. Those of us working from home will spend a fortune on heating bills otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I really hope we have a really mild winter. Those of us working from home will spend a fortune on heating bills otherwise.

I wouldn't notice any difference. I keep the house at a fairly steady temperature all the time. It's easier to keep the house at around the desired temperature rather than let it cool right down and then have the heating running at full blast for long periods of time to try increase the temperature by many degrees celsius.

Similarly, I never have no hot water. Water is heated every night. As it's almost always very close to the desired temperature, very little energy is required to bring it up by a few degrees celsius. Trying to increase the temperature in a cylinder from ambient (quite often in single digits degrees celsius in winter) to safely heated @60/70c requires massive amounts of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

highdef wrote: »
    I wouldn't notice any difference. I keep the house at a fairly steady temperature all the time. It's easier to keep the house at around the desired temperature rather than let it cool right down and then have the heating running at full blast for long periods of time to try increase the temperature by many degrees celsius.

Similarly, I never have no hot water. Water is heated every night. As it's almost always very close to the desired temperature, very little energy is required to bring it up by a few degrees celsius. Trying to increase the temperature in a cylinder from ambient (quite often in single digits degrees celsius in winter) to safely heated @60/70c requires massive amounts of energy.

Depends on the house I'd say, I live in a NE facing semi-d built in the 70s or 80s with crap insulation so it gets little sun and cools down really quick, I've never actually tried it permanently but assume it would cost a fortune trying to keep it around 20C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Advertisement