Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker season 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Rothko wrote: »
    About the match tomorrow, I've obviously heard of Selt but I've never actually seen him play. Surprised to see that he's ranked at 35.

He won the Indian Open a few years ago , handy player. He's quite friendly with Hendry but will be out to nail him tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Remember selt from a few years ago when he was on twitter half the night getting involved in slanging matches with punters, including on occasion barry hearn himself. Was mad stuff, sometimes entertaining. Always thought decent player, if he expended as much energy practising as he did on twitter, he could be going places. Saw a clip of him at one of the recent tournaments, having a strop and throwing a rest around. Expect he'll be on best behaviour for Stephen tomorrow, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I wonder will Eurosport show the Hendry match live? 3 other matches on at the same time. Hawkins is playing and Gould is playing a match so it would probably be unfair to show the Hendry match ahead of those high ranked players?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Glenman wrote: »
    I wonder will Eurosport show the Hendry match live? 3 other matches on at the same time. Hawkins is playing and Gould is playing a match so it would probably be unfair to show the Hendry match ahead of those high ranked players?

If they show Martin Gould vs David Grace instead of Stephen Hendry Ill be flying over to Eurosport HQ with a bag of explosive weapons in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

They've already confirmed they're showing Hendry.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    They've already confirmed they're showing Hendry.

Wonder what odds the bookies are giving on Hendry v Selt ? Selt must be firm favourite to win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hendry was 11/5 when last I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ken vs Matthew Stephens is on at 16:30 and Hendry vs Selt scheduled for 19:00

Brandon Sargeant vs Aaron Hill at 9:00 on Thursday.

https://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Sessions/Tournament/14183/betvictor-gibraltar-open-2021

Congrats to James White Esq, 4-3 v Joe O'Connor, second victory of the season if you discount the w/os. Life in the old dog yet, perhaps.

And Nigel Bond taking it to a decider against Wakelin. Is it to be a day for the oldies, i wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Predictions for Hendry's match? I think Selt will go a few frames ahead and then Hendry will pull a few back but not enough to catch him. 4-2 or 4-3 to Selt.

• Advertisement

Good battle here for ken. Looks like might be heading for a decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ken vs Matthew Stephens is on at 16:30 and Hendry vs Selt scheduled for 19:00

Brandon Sargeant vs Aaron Hill at 9:00 on Thursday.

https://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Sessions/Tournament/14183/betvictor-gibraltar-open-2021
    Was thinking that is crazy late for a last 128 match. When the tournament finishes on Sunday. But now I see all matches are best of 7 in this. Even the final.:eek:

Means Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be hectic.

Hendry looking old now under the full lights.

A win for ken and a ton for hendry. Just like old times.

Was thinking that is crazy late for a last 128 match. When the tournament finishes on Sunday. But now I see all matches are best of 7 in this. Even the final.:eek:

Means Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be hectic.

Not 100% but think qf, sf and final all on sunday.

Century. Good lord above.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Ffs - Selt the boll0x is playing out of his skin!

So Hendry is competative and can win with a better draw. But it's tough on the tour now. As expected.

The Selt era has begun

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Remember selt from a few years ago when he was on twitter half the night getting involved in slanging matches with punters, including on occasion barry hearn himself. Was mad stuff, sometimes entertaining. Always thought decent player, if he expended as much energy practising as he did on twitter, he could be going places. Saw a clip of him at one of the recent tournaments, having a strop and throwing a rest around. Expect he'll be on best behaviour for Stephen tomorrow, though.

He has a bit of a mad look about him alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hendry can't complain too much. Selt played very well and needed a fluke to get through that last frame. Plus, Hendry had that century which wasn't straightforward. Overall, more positives than negatives to be taken from that match.

It was alright, as good as anyone could have anticipated i think. Selt was clinical, neither made any real glaring errors. There's a fair few players hendry could beat playing like that.

Selt seems to me indicative of the type of player you see basically marooned in the 30s and 40s on the ranking, struggling to make the big breakthrough, likes of milkins, woollaston etc. Plenty of ability but no consistency, as liable to stink the gaff out any night as turn it on. Tonight was the turn of the latter selt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/gibraltar-open/2020-2021/gibraltar-open-2021-i-m-32-points-ahead-why-s-the-onus-on-me-shaun-murphy-challenges-referee_sto8155402/story.shtml
    Shaun Murphy had a stand-off with referee Ben Williams at the Gibraltar Open after enquiring why the onus was on him to end a deadlock during his match with Ashley Hugill. The Eurosport commentary box concurred with Williams and, eventually, play continued at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes. Watch the Gibraltar Open live on eurosport.co.uk and the Eurosport app.

Referee quite rightly intervenes to let the players know there will be a re-rack in 5 strokes each if the deadlock isn't broken. Murphy acting like an entitled ass as usual.

weemcd wrote: »
    https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/gibraltar-open/2020-2021/gibraltar-open-2021-i-m-32-points-ahead-why-s-the-onus-on-me-shaun-murphy-challenges-referee_sto8155402/story.shtml

Referee quite rightly intervenes to let the players know there will be a re-rack in 5 strokes each if the deadlock isn't broken. Murphy acting like an entitled ass as usual.

I did have to laugh at that. "The onus is on Ashley to play a positive shot." In fairness, i think murphy was accepting a bit of good natured ribbing over it on twitter last night.

Hendry looking old now under the full lights.

He IS old , 52 . only Jimmy is older but you gotta admire his bottle for coming back . Jimmy is 58 and still battling on against guys less than half his age, He played Fruggin well against Joe O connor and some lovely fluid breaks full of confidence and a spark of what he once was. Fruckin delighted for him . Ken is tremendous too for the old guys brigade. Lovely to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭con747

52 IS old now yeah :rolleyes: :pac:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Dont forget Nigel Bond, in his 32nd consecutive year on tour and on target to retain his place next year too at 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

It would be a miracle for Hendry to qualify for the crucible, he might have a better chance in the first to 10 matches but the standard is high now and he is not match sharp. He is obviously putting in a lot of hard work.

• Advertisement

Glenman wrote: »
    It would be a miracle for Hendry to qualify for the crucible, he might have a better chance in the first to 10 matches but the standard is high now and he is not match sharp. He is obviously putting in a lot of hard work.

Yes , it would take a miracle probably , still interesting to see can he win any matches on the way

Advertisement