Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

Was there a blowout sale at the scumbag shop or something because yeah. They have been going off here in Bray for the last 2 weeks.

1 young lad, son of a local drug dealer has had the bright idea to shoot them horizontally down the road during the evenings.

They are even going off pretty early in the day too as kids get home from school. Like I aint no expert but setting off a firework at 4:30pm in bright daylight seems dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Was there a blowout sale at the scumbag shop or something because yeah. They have been going off here in Bray for the last 2 weeks.

One line of thinking is that they were fireworks destined for 12th July up north but because of lockdown, they didn't get sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

There coming from the north as do most of the fireworks do every year. The fact is somebody is making a fortune in selling them illegally. They have been going off in my area for maybe the last month, which they do every year. They'll die off around the first week in november, until a few days before New years eve. I'm just surprised that there hasn't been more kids losing digits over these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

blue_blue wrote: »
    One line of thinking is that they were fireworks destined for 12th July up north but because of lockdown, they didn't get sold.

Hands across the border?

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, with each day in Dublin city sounding like when the New year comes along, it seems to be the case that the Gardai are more interested in the €9 Bangers n'Mash you had at the local pub than they are at stopping those who are supplying and selling these fireworks:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/garda%C3%AD-less-concerned-with-bangers-being-thrown-than-bangers-being-eaten-in-pubs-1.4354336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Walking home past a load of lads down by the DART station letting off fireworks, they were having a great time... at 5pm when it was still light out. Made me think of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Allinall

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, with each day in Dublin city sounding like when the New year comes along, it seems to be the case that the Gardai are more interested in the €9 Bangers n'Mash you had at the local pub than they are at stopping those who are supplying and selling these fireworks:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/garda%C3%AD-less-concerned-with-bangers-being-thrown-than-bangers-being-eaten-in-pubs-1.4354336

Totally unfounded claim by the SF guy.

Why am I not surprised.

Allinall wrote: »
    Totally unfounded claim by the SF guy.

Why am I not surprised.

Unfounded? That's a pretty strong word when you look at the scale of the issue this year... There seems to have been a flood of these fireworks into the city since August, so someone is bringing in massive amounts and selling them off cheaply...

Unfounded? That's a pretty strong word when you look at the scale of the issue this year... There seems to have been a flood of these fireworks into the city since August, so someone is bringing in massive amounts and selling them off cheaply...

I was talking about the claim that the gardai are more interested in €9 burgers.

I was talking about the claim that the gardai are more interested in €9 burgers.

Have you tried calling the Gardai about the Fireworks problems? I have and the attitude seems to be "Well, we can't do anything about it"

And I've not seen any patrols coming around or stopping anyone...
    Makes me feel that there's little or no visible interest in tackling this issue.

This is why people feel like the Gards have no interest in the Fireworks issue, and see more action on them inspecting Pubs..

• Advertisement

Have you tried calling the Gardai about the Fireworks problems? I have and the attitude seems to be "Well, we can't do anything about it"

And I've not seen any patrols coming around or stopping anyone...
    Makes me feel that there's little or no visible interest in tackling this issue.

This is why people feel like the Gards have no interest in the Fireworks issue, and see more action on them inspecting Pubs..

I haven't seen ( or heard ) of any action by the guards inspecting pubs, other than normal patrols.
    Certainly not instead of doing anything about fireworks.

Where i am there are regular patrols, and it seems that the fireworks have lessened, but this could be just that the scrotes have run out of them.

It's just blatant populism by Mark Ward, with nothing to back it up.

I haven't seen ( or heard ) of any action by the guards inspecting pubs, other than normal patrols.
    Certainly not instead of doing anything about fireworks.Where i am there are regular patrols, and it seems that the fireworks have lessened, but this could be just that the scrotes have run out of them.
    It's just blatant populism by Mark Ward, with nothing to back it up.

He's not my TD but I reckon he's just reflecting the anger and frustration of his constituents who live in one of the biggest areas for anti-social behavior such as the fireworks, and when they see so much publicity about Garda checks on pubs it makes people angry as you would expect..not just in his area but everywhere...

He's not my TD but I reckon he's just reflecting the anger and frustration of his constituents who live in one of the biggest areas for anti-social behavior such as the fireworks, and when they see so much publicity about Garda checks on pubs it makes people angry as you would expect..not just in his area but everywhere...

Where is the publicity about Garda checks on pubs?

I haven't seen any, or heard anyone complaining about it.

Where is the publicity about Garda checks on pubs?
    I haven't seen any, or heard anyone complaining about it.

Well if you haven't heard about all the Garda checks on pubs it mustn't be true...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40017815.html

The problem with this sort of stuff (as I've said on here many times) is that there is no punishment. The judiciary don't care, and won't punish the scum. The Gardai know this, so they don't want the hassle of having to deal with them.

As a Garda, you're much less likely to be assaulted or have any issues by spending your time catching people speeding, or hanging around a car crash a lot longer than you need to, than you are if you attend to calls about scumbags that will happily aim fireworks at your face and laugh at you, because they know you can't do anything to them.

So I can understand why the Gardai couldn't be bothered their hole getting off their ass and doing something.

The issue of anti-social behaviour in Ireland has skyrocketed in recent years. The "ah he's only having a laugh" teenager that gets away with everything today, will not suddenly become a hard-working contributor to society as he grows up - he will grow into more serious crime.

Whereas if there was a proper, legitimate punishment for these people from early years, then they'd be much more likely to get on the right path (or at least quieten down and not draw attention to themselves) going forward. For some reason, the thought of dealing with anti-social behaviour in Ireland is something that just never, ever, seems to gain any traction at all with those in power (presumably as it's all a bit of a laugh and sounds like a non-issue when you don't have to live with it, yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Can we get the SF quote without having to go to the newspaper website.

I'm quite sure without going there that it's Dathai Doolan, who has gotten incredible coverage on the matter.

If it is said Doolan he's pushing for yet more money to be spent on his area, his constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem with this sort of stuff (as I've said on here many times) is that there is no punishment. The judiciary don't care, and won't punish the scum. The Gardai know this, so they don't want the hassle of having to deal with them.

So I can understand why the Gardai couldn't be bothered their hole getting off their ass and doing something.

The issue of anti-social behaviour in Ireland has skyrocketed in recent years. The "ah he's only having a laugh" teenager that gets away with everything today, will not suddenly become a hard-working contributor to society as he grows up - he will grow into more serious crime.

Whereas if there was a proper, legitimate punishment for these people from early years, then they'd be much more likely to get on the right path (or at least quieten down and not draw attention to themselves) going forward. For some reason, the thought of dealing with anti-social behaviour in Ireland is something that just never, ever, seems to gain any traction at all with those in power (presumably as it's all a bit of a laugh and sounds like a non-issue when you don't have to live with it, yourself).

Truth. The judges and judiciary don’t. If in any job if those up the food chain don’t back you and enable you to do your job in terms of resources and results you just think ‘why bother going over and above’.

If a burglar tonight with a list of convictions as long as your arm has been seen breaking into houses. You and your colleague are due to finish at 2am... you see the fûcker running away through fields at 01.50 as you make your way back to the station to knock off at 2am.. you are probably thinking... “fûck, they’ll have this twat back out on bail again, going to be stuck here until 3.30am at least between arrest, paperwork, booking in etc... Fûck that...”

On the other hand, if those Gardai know the justice system and judges would back them, and protect law abiding citizens and a conviction and appropriate sentence was likely... “come on, it’s worth our while, let’s get this guy”... the citizens benefit, society, fellow Gardai, society.

We’ve all had jobs where we wanted to put in the best shift, do our best, from time to time go over and above to achieve our goals but that all stops and it certainly did in my case, when those above you don’t and won’t back you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Rezident

And these disgraceful fireworks sellers, do they still hang around the Henry St. area? I just want to tell them that they should stop selling these illegal fireworks. Or is it Moore Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rezident wrote: »
    And these disgraceful fireworks sellers, do they still hang around the Henry St. area? I just want to tell them that they should stop selling these illegal fireworks. Or is it Moore Street?

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Caquas

Flouting the law is a way of life in many parts of Dublin but I don't think there is any law which is flouted more conspicuously than the ban on fireworks.
    It is illegal to import, hold, sell or use any other fireworks without a licence.

It is an offence to:

Light an unlicensed firework
    Throw a lit firework at a person or property, except for low-hazard (F1) fireworks
    Have an unlicensed firework
    Have an unlicensed firework with the intention of selling it or giving it to someone else
    These offences are specified in Section 80 of the Explosives Act 1875, as amended by the Section 68 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006. These are arrestable offences. The Gardaí can arrest you without a warrant if they suspect you of having committed an offence under this Act.

If you are found guilty of any of the above offences:

On summary conviction (in the District Court), you are liable to a class C fine or to imprisonment for up to 6 months, or to both.
    On conviction on indictment (in the Circuit Court), you are liable to a maximum fine of €10,000 or to imprisonment for up to 5 years, or to both.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/the_law_on_fireworks.html

The non-enforcement of any law tends to bring the justice system into disrepute, especially at a time when the Gardai are given extraordinary powers. Imagine the Gardai coming to breakup a peaceful gathering in someone's home, threating fines of €1,000 but turning a blind eye (and deaf ear!) to the neighbours setting of fireworks!

Here's some advice to dogowners for dealing with Halloween fireworks. Mostly, keep the dog indoors and stay calm. But also:
    The charity is urging the public to contact their local Garda station to report any instances of illegal fireworks being set off in their area.

Good luck with that!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dogs-trust-record-358-increase-in-owners-seeking-fireworks-advice-1025472.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

I'm starting to fear that they will not stop after halloween. Considering how consistently they have been going off I am dreading the thought of them continuing past this weekend.

Every time we try to take the dog out for a toilet break after 7pm he is too afraid to go outside and even if he has gone recently before it means either forcing him out and trying to coax him to go while terrified and risk one going off while he is outside - or get waken up at 2am to let him out then. Sometimes both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

zedhead wrote: »
    I'm starting to fear that they will not stop after halloween. Considering how consistently they have been going off I am dreading the thought of them continuing past this weekend.

Every time we try to take the dog out for a toilet break after 7pm he is too afraid to go outside and even if he has gone recently before it means either forcing him out and trying to coax him to go while terrified and risk one going off while he is outside - or get waken up at 2am to let him out then. Sometimes both.

Like evey past Halloween they'll come to a complete stop and by Monday you won't hear a peep til new year.

Regarding the dog we found by increasing the walks to two an evening gets in their toilet breaks. The dog is a lot braver on the lead:) so we just have two short walks a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Like evey past Halloween they'll come to a complete stop and by Monday you won't hear a peep til new year.

Regarding the dog we found by increasing the walks to two an evening gets in their toilet breaks. The dog is a lot braver on the lead:) so we just have two short walks a night.

Ours won't leave the driveway after 9am and its a struggle to get him to leave the house at all after about 5pm. He has been caught a few times with them going off when he was out on a walk and he is not taking any chances. We've tried driving him further a field to get a short one in but he starts to get visibly nervous within a few minutes and pulls back to the car.

So we are stuck with just the 6am walks for the moment which for some reason he is still fine with. Hopefully within a few weeks he will have his routine back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Rezident

Why are fireworks illegal here? They have been easily available in markets and in Dublin for the last 20+ years, it is basically millions of Euro that could go to Ireland and the Revenue that goes North and to criminals instead.

Is there any reason? About 15 injuries per year in N.I, and presumably similar or more here since they are openly available anyway. Why are they illegal here? Makes a mockery of our legal system, although that is getting common here nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’d bring in revenue but when you factor in the cost to the state, to license and audit sellers, manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Rezident wrote: »
    Why are fireworks illegal here? They have been easily available in markets and in Dublin for the last 20+ years, it is basically millions of Euro that could go to Ireland and the Revenue that goes North and to criminals instead.

Is there any reason? About 15 injuries per year in N.I, and presumably similar or more here since they are openly available anyway. Why are they illegal here? Makes a mockery of our legal system, although that is getting common here nowadays.

They are explosives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

is Rep of Ire outliers on this?
    why do other states think it's okay and we don't?
    anyone know the background to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

is Rep of Ire outliers on this?
    why do other states think it's okay and we don't?
    anyone know the background to this?

One of only two countries in the world according to this https://www.pierse.ie/2014/10/10/law-fireworks/

Lots of reasons to ban them. Not so many reasons for not enforcing the laws. Restricting access fireworks to trained professionals is a good thing IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Halloween night here in Dublin 7 and it’s like Beirut Out there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im up high in an apt with a pretty good view over Dublin 8 and northwards towards finglas - its been pretty epic since 6pm

Advertisement