Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

We've been enjoying the fireworks and banger festival here in East Wall since July! Do we win a prize? :D
    It's all the same 'uniformed' grey tracksuit toe rags.. kids as young as 10 at it.
    Come on down to Fairview park any Tues or Thurs evening when it is packed with all sorts of sports and fitness going on..dog walkers.. families strolling..cyclists etc.
    The scrotes set off the bangers right at the playground. Imagine!!
    Then they like to set the rockets off into the middle of GAA under age games and soccer games. When finished there, it's over to the DART maintenance garage part to launch a few in there.
    I've seen all the above on many occasions with my own eyes.
    The future is bright for Dublin's NE Inner City.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

De kids, god luv dem, dey got no faciliteeeeees.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,943 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder what this Halloween will be like for the Gardai and in turn every normal, caring and law abiding community minded person... these scrotes having extra cash, extra time for destruction and antisocial scheananigans....

Strumms wrote: »
    I wonder what this Halloween will be like for the Gardai and in turn every normal, caring and law abiding community minded person... these scrotes having extra cash, extra time for destruction and antisocial scheananigans....

For the last month or so around my area I've seen little scumba... little kids I mean, dragging around pallets and tyres.

Little to do and no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Alicano wrote: »
    We've been enjoying the fireworks and banger festival here in East Wall since July! Do we win a prize? :D
    It's all the same 'uniformed' grey tracksuit toe rags.. kids as young as 10 at it.
    Come on down to Fairview park any Tues or Thurs evening when it is packed with all sorts of sports and fitness going on..dog walkers.. families strolling..cyclists etc.
    The scrotes set off the bangers right at the playground. Imagine!!
    Then they like to set the rockets off into the middle of GAA under age games and soccer games. When finished there, it's over to the DART maintenance garage part to launch a few in there.
    I've seen all the above on many occasions with my own eyes.
    The future is bright for Dublin's NE Inner City.. :rolleyes:

Irish society accepts this type of behaviour, no one else to blame.

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »
    Irish society accepts this type of behaviour, no one else to blame.

Irish society doesn't accept it, though. Irish society is aware, however, that it's every man for themselves. The Gardai have no interest, the judges have no interest, the politicians have no interest, and if your windows get put in in the middle of the night, your neighbours won't be seen giving you a shoulder to cry on.

Policing, as seems to regularly be the case, is the issue.

That said, these things should be illegal up north, anyway. Most of them sold up there are most likely thrown at the PSNI anyway, so i've no idea why they are legal there. Banning them there would help eliminate them down here, too.

Irish society doesn't accept it, though. Irish society is aware, however, that it's every man for themselves. The Gardai have no interest, the judges have no interest, the politicians have no interest, and if your windows get put in in the middle of the night, your neighbours won't be seen giving you a shoulder to cry on.

Policing, as seems to regularly be the case, is the issue.

That said, these things should be illegal up north, anyway. Most of them sold up there are most likely thrown at the PSNI anyway, so i've no idea why they are legal there. Banning them there would help eliminate them down here, too.

I don't think the one are 'used' down south don't come from NI.
    I think they come in from abroad.

Restrictions have been put in place in NI in recent years following what you describe, fireworks being used as missiles, to attack police.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/fireworks

I think there are people in society, down south, who don't accept this, why would you.

But overall it continues to happen, therefore society accepts it.

imme wrote: »
    I don't think the one are 'used' down south don't come from NI.

Ah, they definitely are. I live in Louth and cross the border regularly on my way to Monaghan and further afield. Big containers with huge 'fireworks on sale' signs and truck trailers parked with directions, all placed comically close to the border.

There's no difficulty whatsoever in getting them. Not that I buy them myself, of course, but they're really shoved in your face when you're driving through border towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Welfare progeny at its finest

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Ah, they definitely are. I live in Louth and cross the border regularly on my way to Monaghan and further afield. Big containers with huge 'fireworks on sale' signs and truck trailers parked with directions, all placed comically close to the border.

There's no difficulty whatsoever in getting them. Not that I buy them myself, of course, but they're really shoved in your face when you're driving through border towns.

Definitely, from east down to south fermanagh a ton of crossings have shipping containers packed full of fireworks placed almost on the border. Must be good money in them as always have been expensive . Don't know what the price is when they hit the streets in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

St Anne's Park tonight. Clontarf side. The fireworks don't seem to do anything this year only sound really loud. The cats are terrified.

According to a friend of mine, the fireworks are being used for the purposes of finding dogs that are outside.

Firework -> Dog barking -> Dog found -> Dog kidnapped -> ??? -> profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

According to a friend of mine, the fireworks are being used for the purposes of finding dogs that are outside.

Sounds like an oul wives tale so to speak. How could you tell what was a good dog to rob and what was worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's the facebookpanickiest thing I've read in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It doesn't really add up though...

Fireworks in council estates and dog barks how do you distinguish what house in the terrace the barks are coming from.

I call shenanigans on that theory.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It doesn't really add up though...

Fireworks in council estates and dog barks how do you distinguish what house in the terrace the barks are coming from.

I call shenanigans on that theory.

Im just saying what I heard tonight.

Facebook conspiracy theory / old wives tale / whatever.

Maybe / possibly / probably / I dunno

I'm just relaying what someone told me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

It's going to get worse until they run out in Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Im just saying what I heard tonight.

Facebook conspiracy theory / old wives tale / whatever.

Maybe / possibly / probably / I dunno

I'm just relaying what someone told me.

Why though?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This has been the worst year for it that I can remember. To have them going off as early as August and in broad daylight is an absolute joke.

Seems likely they were brought from north of the border as they aren't illegal up there. I'd say there were a good few left over from events that were cancelled due to the pandemic. Eleventh Night celebrations and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    It's going to get worse until they run out in Halloween

Certainly will.

I wonder with Covid will they make Trick Or Treat a crime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Certainly will.

Would save me turning off all the lights at the front of the house and ignoring the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's absolutely hilarious.

Imagine the scenario:

Scumbag 1: "I want to steal some dogs to sell, do you think we should just grab them from people's gardens?'

Scumbag 2: "no, no, I've a great idea! I bought in a load of fireworks for Halloween. Rather than using them to attack people and annoy the general populace, let's use them as a kind of crude dog location device!'

Dog wardens all over Ireland will soon be buying fireworks and crowbangers, will make their jobs so much easier.

Jesus the crap people will believe! I'm cracking up laughing here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wants to try my area, the dogs don't need an excuse to bark their stupid fecking heads off. What does make me laugh is the same people who just feck the dogs outside to bark and bark are some of the people complaining about the little knackers noise pollution with fireworks.

Certainly will.

It’s a difficult enough night for Gardai, hospitals, fire and ambulance crews as it is.....

We need the Taoiseach front and center with a hospital consultant, nurse, fireman, Garda and a&e doctor (all suitably distant) at a press conference.

“The Health services cannot afford a usual Halloween influx of injuries to hospitals, last few years have averaged x hundred admissions across the country due to specific Halloween related injuries and accidents, the health services and their staff and families have been through unprecedented stress, strain and difficult time as a result of covid. When we as a society needed them, they’ve been there. NOW we need to be there for THEM... Parents, please parent, know where your kids are and impart and ensure they are not partaking in behavior that is dangerous, illegal or bound to cause distress or worry to people in the community, covid isn’t over, so ‘in this together’ until it is”.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a difficult enough night for Gardai, hospitals, fire and ambulance crews as it is.....

We need the Taoiseach front and center with a hospital consultant, nurse, fireman, Garda and a&e doctor (all suitably distant) at a press conference.
    This won't make a jot of a difference to the little gurriers who do these things. They'd pay no heed. They just don't care.

ixoy wrote: »
    This won't make a jot of a difference to the little gurriers who do these things. They'd pay no heed. They just don't care.

Truth, I’m loathed to be suggesting pressuring parents to... well, parent but they ultimately are the ones responsible.

ixoy wrote: »

The parents of kids with the type of fireworks going off for the past month don't give a damn, they don't understand their role as a parent/parents.

They wouldn't be swayed by anyone pleading with them for them to teach/control their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

These poxy things are going every night for ages in Dublin 14. Sometimes it's like the spanish firecrackers, loads of them together. But it's definitely not a "working class" area thing. I never noticed so many this far away from halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Cienciano wrote: »
    These poxy things are going every night for ages in Dublin 14. Sometimes it's like the spanish firecrackers, loads of them together. But it's definitely not a "working class" area thing. I never noticed so many this far away from halloween

Think they're all those 'Roman Candles'. Usually has 5 - 10 shots that are fired every few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

blue_blue wrote: »
    Think they're all those 'Roman Candles'. Usually has 5 - 10 shots that are fired every few seconds.

Some little pr!cks shooting them off from their hands in my area yesterday. I had such awful thoughts.

Advertisement