Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

briany wrote: »
    I'm trying to do a flight following historic Route 66 in the Cessna 152 at the moment. One problem I'm having is that I can't seem to save flight progress. I start off from Chicago and fly for an hour or two, find a little municipal airport to land at, refuel, park up for the night, go to Save>Save as 'Route66.FLT'.

Reload the next day and it just puts me at the airport I originally started out from. This is from a flight plan that is simply a direct VFR from Chicago to Cali. How do I save the flight so that it puts me back exactly where I left off?

Have you tried saving in flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you tried saving in flight?

No, I land at an airport, park it up and then save. I don't see why the FLT shouldn't put my plane right back in that spot when I go to load the file.

No, I land at an airport, park it up and then save. I don't see why the FLT shouldn't put my plane right back in that spot when I go to load the file.

Some of the tutorials I have seen show them saving in flight, just thought it might be a workaround.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I have been using the save feature plenty (in flight) and have had no issues. So I think saving at the airport could be bugged? Haven't tried saving at an airport midflight but will try later and see!

If anyone lands at the Waynesville-St. Robert Regional airport between St. Louis and Springfield, Missouri, and sees a Cessna 152 parked obnoxiously close to the fuel pump, that'll be me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Downloaded driver 20.8.3 for my 5700XT and it seems to be behaving a bit better in terms of temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I thought the update was out on the 28th, that was just the announcement that it's coming next week?

79GB patch on the way in the next day or so.

79 GB? Is that a hyperbolic riff on the size of the game's original download size?

STABILITY ISSUES

The title will no longer crash when different input devices/peripherals are disconnected
    The title will no longer crash when the TBM 930 package is deleted

INSTALLATION ISSUES

The install process will no longer be blocked after a partial decompression of a package
    The install process will no longer be blocked when a local user account includes non-ASCII characters
    The install process will no longer be blocked after a failed connection to servers
    The install process will no longer display an empty onboarding screen under certain conditions
    The title will download a critical missing/deleted package to access the main menu even if the save data preference is set to offline (when an internet connection is available)

CONTENT MANAGER

The title will no longer automatically download packages that have been deleted through the content manager
    The content manager will no longer get stuck in an infinite loading state when checked offline
    The Creator name of the packages should now be properly updated

SIMCONNECT

Significant FPS drop when using Simconnect should no longer affect the experience

OPTIMIZATION

The performance of the title has been improved when the Display name plate option is set to active

MARKETPLACE

The correct currency is now properly updated in the marketplace

Nothing here that really constitutes a game overhaul. It'll be interesting to see what is included in ongoing updates vs. what the make you pay more for with DLC.

79 GB? Is that a hyperbolic riff on the size of the game's original download size?

Nothing here that really constitutes a game overhaul. It'll be interesting to see what is included in ongoing updates vs. what the make you pay more for with DLC.

It's in the content manager now but not downloading yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

It's in the content manager now but not downloading yet.
    I've seen it in the content manager for days now. Doesn't mean it's nearly ready though.

• Advertisement

What's the attraction of flying a 737 for flight simmers? I can see how it's good to be behind the console of a big plane like that, but doesn't the novelty wear off when you're cruising steady at 30,000 feet, well above the clouds, and not having much to see or do? At least with the little single props you can stay low and explore the land.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I've seen it in the content manager for days now. Doesn't mean it's nearly ready though.

Doesn't mean it's not either given the time frame given by MS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm having issues with nose trim buttons on my joystick , I'm a noob yes but it feels poorly implemented.
    When I want to use trim it's a click and hold scenario and then just seems to accelerate the input and not very precise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

What's the attraction of flying a 737 for flight simmers? I can see how it's good to be behind the console of a big plane like that, but doesn't the novelty wear off when you're cruising steady at 30,000 feet, well above the clouds, and not having much to see or do? At least with the little single props you can stay low and explore the land.

for me its going through the checklists and seeing the time put into programming the FMC paying off. I guess thats the realism kicking in. Its not all thrills :)

Throw in the odd engine fire to keep it interesting. Really miss the 737 Zibo from Xplane. So much more to do in it. Including playing the cabin announcements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone have any suggestions on how to go from casual flying starting at the runway to going into the checklist stuff, pushback, ATC communication etc?

Should I jump right in and learn by doing or is it worth checking out videos on how it's done first? Sticking with the smaller planes for now.

Now that I've got the hang of the flying basics I'd like to add the airport itself to the experience.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to go from casual flying starting at the runway to going into the checklist stuff, pushback, ATC communication etc?

Should I jump right in and learn by doing or is it worth checking out videos on how it's done first? Sticking with the smaller planes for now.

Now that I've got the hang of the flying basics I'd like to add the airport itself to the experience.

Checklists are seemingly pretty good in game. For everything else there's YouTube :pac:

Landed at a municipal airport outside Joplin, Missouri of code name H20. Was a little miffed to see that the runway was intersected right through by a busy road!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You will all be flying with Ryanair soon
    Ryanair loves free. Training all you need to learn is to sell those lucky scratch off tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I'd advise against Orbix London Landmarks. I got it and it froze at the very end and then i had to quit. FS froze then on the update screen every time and the only solution was to reinstall. Appears to be a common problem.

I'd advise against Orbix London Landmarks. I got it and it froze at the very end and then i had to quit. FS froze then on the update screen every time and the only solution was to reinstall. Appears to be a common problem.

Did you see this review?
    https://youtu.be/iIyZw39ZiX8

• Advertisement

I could have sworn that back in FSX, you could radio in and switch from VFR to IFR. No such option in FS2020, yet, that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

The liveries pack has now reached over 300, including an old Aer Lingus one 11 seconds in:

One of these for the 747 would be fantastic: https://travelupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Aer-Lingus-747-Steve-Williams-1103x640.jpg

Only installed megapack 7 lastnight.

New nVidia cards look very promising. 3070 will be offering 2080ti like performance at less than half the cost. Can't wait to see what AMD bring.

Might actually have a reason to upgrade from my 1080TI, i knew the 20 series would be short lived and glad i skipped it.

New nVidia cards look very promising. 3070 will be offering 2080ti like performance at less than half the cost. Can't wait to see what AMD bring.

They better bring something as good or better and a better price or they will find it hard going.
    I wouldn't like to be someone that just bought a 2080 in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I have a 2070 Super. Its fantastic!

There is a few things that bugs me with FS. the lack op options while flying such as Slew(Maybe i cant find it) replay, tower view, being able to toggle view with one button and increase simulation rate. Also, when moving around the aircraft, if you are looking down, the horizon gets this weird perspective. Almost like you are wearing glasses. But aside from that the graphics are amazing and it has massive potential. Also if the player tags could be decreased in size it would be great too.

I never flew GA before because the ground terrain was aful, only started in P3D lately after Orbix Ireland came out. Ill stick with P3D for the Aerosoft A320 and PMDG 747 most likely until next year when a few addons arrive. But i will be doing a nice bit of VFR in the C172 on FS.

It really is the future but i dont think they will have it mastered until late next year. Plus i dont think we will see any major additional content this year. I Know Aerosoft have the A320 first on the list of Airliners but 4th overall but i think when they start coming we will see a lot of stuff starting to arrive together as i imagine everyone is racing to get their Airports/Airliners out there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

There is a few things that bugs me with FS. the lack op options while flying such as Slew(Maybe i cant find it)
    Y on the keyboard, numpad arrows to move, Num7/9 to roll, Num1/3 to Yaw
    and increase simulation rate.
    Num + and -

Any other controls you're missing you can find like this:
    • Go into the Controls menu
    • Change the filter from "Assigned" to "All" (has to be done every time)
    • In the search bar, you have 2 options:
      • Search by name. Want to assign something like "Pitch trim increase"? Type "trim" and it will show you all the options you can choose, then
      • Search by input. Want to see what controls are bound to a particular key/button? Click in the box, then press key/button you want to check. Any controls bound to it will appear in the list on the right.

DaveyDave wrote: »

If you get satisfaction from doing the checks and ATC stuff, most of that can easily be accessed once your flight is loaded and you're sitting in parking or on the runway.

Sometimes I can't be bothered with that stuff, though. It depends on what the objective of the flight is. If I wanted to try out VOR navigation, I'd just spawn it on the runway and take off, or even better than that, spawn mid-air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How much data is this pulling down for you guys?

Advertisement