Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job was Misleading

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Danni21

But you are finding drama that isn't needed. You knew immediately that they had misrepresented your agreed terms, you had no obligation to stay or give any notice, and once you had quit you have no obligation to chase them or to worry about their shifts or equipment.

The job wasn't what you were told, you quit, move on. There is no need to be sending emails to all and sundry.

Read my thread. No I didn't. I found after two weeks into the job when we finally got our written contract and we were shown the roster. I raised my concerns immediately. When no one would respond I quit. No drama. Just removed myself from the situation. I sent emails to HR and my team leaders. At the end of the day I have over $1000 worth of equipment I need them to take back. So yes I do need to get hold of someone unfortunately. Nothing to do with drama

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Danni21 wrote: »
    Read my thread. No I didn't. I found after two weeks into the job when we finally got our written contract and we were shown the roster. I raised my concerns immediately. When no one would respond I quit. No drama. Just removed myself from the situation. I sent emails to HR and my team leaders. At the end of the day I have over $1000 worth of equipment I need them to take back. So yes I do need to get hold of someone unfortunately. Nothing to do with drama

You don't need anything, if they want their equipment they need to do the chasing.

And with respect, this is drama:
    So Monday I quit in writing and detailed why. I then emailed a couple of team leaders to let them know I wouldn't be working that evening.

Nothing back. I then sent emails to a couple of other HR contacts.

Nothing. I emailed my trainer who couldn't give a phone number for someone. He gave me a couple more email contacts and said he will get in touch with them.

Emailed again. I still haven't heard anything back.
    Just how many people have you emailed at this stage?

You have quit a job you had for a matter of weeks, just move on. Its your call though.

You don't need anything, if they want their equipment they need to do the chasing.

And with respect, this is drama:

Just how many people have you emailed at this stage?

You have quit a job you had for a matter of weeks, just move on. Its your call though.

Not drama. Not sure how you conduct your business, but I wanted to reach my TLs to make sure the others weren't left covering my share of the work because they didn't arrange cover. The management my be aholes but my team mates were lovely and I don't like letting people take the slack.

Also if you don't show up for work 3 days in a row with no contact it can be seen as an abandonment of employment so I wanted to make sure it could not be said that I did not make reasonable steps to make contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

But you are finding drama that isn't needed. You knew immediately that they had misrepresented your agreed terms, you had no obligation to stay or give any notice, and once you had quit you have no obligation to chase them or to worry about their shifts or equipment.

The job wasn't what you were told, you quit, move on. There is no need to be sending emails to all and sundry.

its called taking responsibility. OP was ensuring that they werent walking out and leaving somebody else in a hole. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

daheff wrote: »
    its called taking responsibility. OP was ensuring that they werent walking out and leaving somebody else in a hole. Fair play.

I manage 61 people, I'm not blind to responsibility. But let's be honest, the company isn't going to collapse because the guy who was there two weeks decided to leave.

He didn't just email his supervisor to make sure they knew he was gone so that they could make plans, he emailed all and sundry looking for responses when he had little place or reason to do so. Does it not say something that all the people emailed all decided no reply was needed?

• Advertisement

I manage 61 people, I'm not blind to responsibility. But let's be honest, the company isn't going to collapse because the guy who was there two weeks decided to leave.

He didn't just email his supervisor to make sure they knew he was gone so that they could make plans, he emailed all and sundry looking for responses when he had little place or reason to do so. Does it not say something that all the people emailed all decided no reply was needed?

Just to put things into perspective there would have been two other people working my shift. I emailed the HR department and the 2 TLs. Hardly all and sundry.

So as someone who manages 61 people you wouldn't expect someone to make contact if they quit their job.

Are you familiar with abandonment of employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Danni21 wrote: »
    Just to put things into perspective there would have been two other people working my shift. I emailed the HR department and the 2 TLs. Hardly all and sundry.

So as someone who manages 61 people you wouldn't expect someone to make contact if they quit their job.

Are you familiar with abandonment of employment?

I doubt that term means anything from a legal or employment law perspective.

The result of walking out without giving notice may be Breach of Contract.

However your contract was breached by the employer. So, you "abandoned your employment" because you felt the contract was "null and void".

So why play their game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

For what it’s worth OP, I didn’t think you were being dramatic at all. If I was resigning, and had company equipment, I would want my email to be acknowledged. I’d keep following up until it was acknowledged.

I’d feel the same as you re not want to see your team leader or team mates stuck - and I’d want HR or whoever to advise re the hardware and software that you have.

The best of luck in your future employment

Advertisement