Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guard, de Jag has hands-free! Liveline 25/8 going forward.

Options
1290291292293294296»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There are only certain topics he wants to talk about - otherwise he takes his football and runs off.

He doesn't want to know about Mary Boyle. Why Joe?

FF bigwigs involved there. Allegedly.

What's lost in all of this is the the fact that there was a plan to import arms, what was contested by Haughey and Blaney was that they were not acting without cabinet approval, but there most definitely was a plan to import arms.
    That knuckle headed plan, had it come to fruition would have resulted in a blood bath comparable to Rwanda.
    Haughey traded on that notoriety throughout his career to appeal to barstool republicans for electoral gain.

Yep, all that was my childhood intro to politics. Parents had taken me, aunt & grandmother for a trip to Belfast very shortly before the commencement of trouble. It was a big shock & horror to me at the time when it all erupted, then the Arms Trial was the first major issue in Irish Republic politics that I took notice of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

dvcireland wrote: »

Joe: and what type of shaving appartus was your fadder using Eamon?

A 'cut-throat' Joe, they were still very fashionable at the time. There were cut-throats everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

What's lost in all of this is the the fact that there was a plan to import arms, what was contested by Haughey and Blaney was that they were not acting without cabinet approval, but there most definitely was a plan to import arms.
    That knuckle headed plan, had it come to fruition would have resulted in a blood bath comparable to Rwanda.
    Haughey traded on that notoriety throughout his career to appeal to barstool republicans for electoral gain and it delayed any chance of peace for a long time.

It was the basis of the show.

How people's lives were ruined because they were doing their job as directed by ministers.

Haughey was Taoiseach at the time of the Hunger Strikes, it cost his party seats in the June 1981 election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

imme wrote: »
    It was the basis of the show.

How people's lives were ruined because they were doing their job as directed by ministers.

Haughey was Taoiseach at the time of the Hunger Strikes, it cost his party seats in the June 1981 election.

You are being very disingenuous if you are trying to say that show was a forensic and balanced discussion.
    The 'basis' of the show was Michael Heneghan's book which has been promoted endlessly by his former RTE colleagues since its release.
    The main thrust has always been to emphasise how wronged Haughey was. What has not happened is a discussion on the consequences of the successful importation of arms, and a diversion of funds to do so. You would almost think this plan did not actually exist. It did.
    Haughey used the notoriety to appeal to the republican elements that was his modus operandi, he opposed the anglo irish forum and was obstructive.
    It did ultimately cost him middle class votes, but his strategy was to speak out of both sides of his mouth.
    The basis of the show was to rehabilitate Haughey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Where are de Mater hotspittle ads I wonder ;);)

New ones on the way I believe......I also hear they're sponsoring Pat Kenny's show now.

Wonder what that conman and convicted criminal Ivor Callally is up to lately? Duffy's pathetic chat with him live on air was possibly the worst abuse of his privilege to date. Any small bit of respect he had disappeared after that.

I actually think the time Mr. Duffy had Ivan Calroie's solicitor on for 45mins doing a puff piece on Ivan when he was in prison was worse, adn a far greater abuse of power.
    leath_dub wrote: »
    The same Callelly that was lucky to be able to (barely) walk and hadn't worn a pair of laced shoes since the tree landed on him?

The same Callelly that is regularly seen out and about in Clontarf and Killester walking around without a bother and who goes to the local gym about 6 days a week?

Still struggling to understand find out what the angle was with that slot. if Ivor was planning a compo claim he obviously doesn't have the cop-on to pull it off

A couple of days after being on with Mr. Duffy talking about his crippling back injuries and life changing spinal operation he was photographed by The Sun doing sit ups (on a concret wall no less!) in Clontarf so to speak. You couldn't make this sh*t up.

NINTCHDBPICT000585659324.jpg?w=620
    gmisk wrote: »
    That was shocking...he literally fell of his bike...it was the most craven attempt to rehabilitate that crook.

Perhaps he did crash, but I have my suspicions.

I actually think the time Mr. Duffy had Ivan Calroie's solicitor on for 45mins doing a puff piece on Ivan when he was in prison was worse, adn a far greater abuse of power.

A couple of days after being on with Mr. Duffy talking about his crippling back injuries and life changing spinal operation he was photographed by The Sun doing sit ups (on a concret wall no less!) in Clontarf so to speak. You couldn't make this sh*t up.

NINTCHDBPICT000585659324.jpg?w=620

Perhaps he did crash, but I have my suspicions.

Lucky he was discovered helpless by the side of the road, seeing that he was all by himself when the unfortunate accident happened unseen by anyone else.

New ones on the way I believe......I also hear they're sponsoring Pat Kenny's show now.

I must check up on any pictures of two lookalikes on a sofa ;)

Lucky he was discovered helpless by the side of the road, seeing that he was all by himself when the unfortunate accident happened unseen by anyone else.

Unfortunate there were no witnesses alright...............:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Ye can have Boland, but ye can’t have Fianna Fáil.

Oh wait ye can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

You are being very disingenuous if you are trying to say that show was a forensic and balanced discussion.
    The 'basis' of the show was Michael Heneghan's book which has been promoted endlessly by his former RTE colleagues since its release.
    The main thrust has always been to emphasise how wronged Haughey was. What has not happened is a discussion on the consequences of the successful importation of arms, and a diversion of funds to do so. You would almost think this plan did not actually exist. It did.
    Haughey used the notoriety to appeal to the republican elements that was his modus operandi, he opposed the anglo irish forum and was obstructive.
    It did ultimately cost him middle class votes, but his strategy was to speak out of both sides of his mouth.
    The basis of the show was to rehabilitate Haughey.

Michael Heney, I got his name wrong in an earlier post, where I called him, Michael Heaney.

I don't believe I said the show was balanced, it was looking at the children of the principals, how their fathers' actions impacted on their lives.

Haughey was leader of a party that styled itself The Republican Party. So not too surprising that he would try to make the most of his 'suffering' for the nation.

It was the New Ireland Forum.

The planning, Suzanne Kelly raised that, she said that plans were made (governments are always making plans, doesn't mean that any of them will ever see the light of day).

The planning however wasn't the subject matter of the show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,823 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Was he not in terrible danger of being pinned down by a tree that fell hundreds of yards away and hours before?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Was he not in terrible danger of being pinned down by a tree that fell hundreds of yards away and hours before?

Was any wood axe ever found nearby?
    Or maybe de fallen tree gave him inspiration.

Oh Yay! Oh Yay! Thread Title Creators and Voters get busy as a new thread is imminent.

=> https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058076426/13

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Liveline - caller driven show
    RTe - Truth matters

Me hole in both cases

(and Joe's heavy breathing....)

Kat-trine Thomasssssssessses mudder also had a lucky escape that day, having been in that part of West Cork a mere 37 years earlier.

If a tree fell and hit Ivan Calorie in the neck he would walk away unscathed, as solid wood we be no match for pure brass.

When Mr. Duffy no doubt drags the arse out of De Arms Trial again today I'd encourage you to listen to Dara who called Bryan Turdriddy this morning so to speak as they say with some shall we say, tall tales. Pure GOLD.

Right folks, ahead of a potential mid-Gold interruption I give you a new thread this way, title courtesy of BS

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058115834/1/#post114703617

• Advertisement

If a tree fell and hit Ivan Calorie in the neck he would walk away unscathed, as solid wood we be no match for pure brass.

If Ivan Calories fell in de woods, would anyone hear him scream, an' dat?

Nobody who knows what he's like, dat's for sure.

Better close this thread off now, or there will be people adding to it when the show starts and it be like throwing their seed upon stony ground an' dat.

Better close this thread off now, or there will be people adding to it when the show starts and it be like throwing their seed upon stony ground an' dat.

Ubi semen, ibi messis. My old school motto. Honest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement