Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

‘New Riddler Content’

I’d be more willing to pay for less Riddler content.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So disappointing how generic this looks when Arkham Asylum at the time felt so innovative and new to the point that "Arkham-style combat" became a selling point for a lot of games after it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah WB waiting until release day to give review codes is mental. I know people say don't ever preorder but people can do what they want but i really hope people give this a wife berth, unless of course you've loved everything you've seen so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Amazing how this should have been a home run. A Suicide Squad game, from Rocksteady, set in the Arkhamverse, with the Justice League as the villains. Home f*cking run.

Instead.... looter-shooter live-service "Roadmap of Seasons" bullsh*t. And now trying to make sure reviewers can't get reviews out for launch. It's like the ball hit the batter in the face, then the ball bounced off the ground and then hit the batter in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's not all bad news guys... They've apparently "listened to the fans" and will be cleaning up the My Little Pony diarrhea inspired HUD. That'll win everyone over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm a complete Arkham man but I haven't even checked out Arkham Knights.

The Suicide Squad is a weird one. It's an interesting idea but I'm haven't been sold on any Suicide Squad content.

It'd be a funny one to pull off but they should just have given the people a Superman "Arkham".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The cancelled Arkham have rumour about checking Damien Wayne sounded cool. Unfortunately WB are brain-dead and ignorant when it comes to games she just can't help themselves.

I must go back to Gotham Knights, it was actually enjoyable of every i played but i can definitely see the repetitiveness kicking in. Saying that, it looks like a masterpiece compared to Suicide squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It'll be interesting to see how WB **** up Wonder Woman next. 😒

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The buzz around the game is so toxic - has there been any major AAA game that’s arrived with vibes this bad? - that I almost wouldn’t be surprised if it overperformed sales wise, relative to audience expectation, just because anything other than ‘catastrophic flop’ would be considered overperforming at this rate 😂

I will say though, even if the game was a big, acclaimed single player release, I just don’t think Suicide Squad have anywhere near the wide appeal of Batman. Those films have done OK, but not Earth-shatteringly so (granted the second one was a weird hybrid pandemic release). Given Avengers and GotG games have struggled, I definitely reckon this would have an uphill battle by brand alone even if the game wasn’t a cursed live service play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But the brand would only be a bonus as it would be about it being Rocksteady's next game. People were looking forward to their next game not just because it would be another DC game, but because of how good their previous games were.

Same as with any other popular dev like Rockstar or From.

Avengers failed due to being live service and reviewing bad. I think GotG failed due to people thinking it was like Avengers.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it probably would have done pretty well had it been ‘Arkham, but Suicide Squad’ (though not sure that mashup works without bigggchanges anyway 😅). But I also reckon that outside of Batman and Spider-Man games superhero games have traditionally struggled. Something like Midnight Suns - granted, a new property - didn’t do great despite being a well reviewed title from a major studio with a track record in the genre and Marvel’s best known characters being front and centre.

That said, we have a few big tests coming up with plenty of single player superhero games on the way. I do agree with you in the sense that Wolverine will probably get a boost simply by association with Insomniac and Spider-Man. But yeah, would stand by thinking Suicide Squad would be a tough sell even in ideal circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GotG failed because Square Enix had no faith in the game because Mankind Divided flopped and sent it out to do with zero marketing. I didn't even know it was out and a lot of big media sites didn't even review it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd imagine it failed because it wasn't MCU Guardians for a lot of people. I found it jarring, but eventually got sick of the constant banter which was mostly inaudible due to gunfights, or cut off due to out of nowhere cutscenes. I don't usually comment on the banter between characters in games, I just usually go with the flow. But it was even too much for me, and in only the few hours I played...

This is just destined to fail. I'm not a fan of 4 player character games (I can just about stomach 2 and GTAV somehow managed to make 3 good). I loved the Arkham games because you mainly played as Batman. Whereas these other games I feel are trying to let you do whatever you want to try and cash in on this streamer ADHD attention span. Bright explosions, quips galore, messy madness of dopamine hits all attached to a sparsely held together story. Arkham: Strong story and performances. Just what I like maybe. I love being brought along on a story/journey. I don't get that from these 4 player option games.

I'll probably give this a go when it gets added to Gamepass/Plus, save for a sudden overwhelmingly positive reception on release, which I doubt. Then again, there's not much out before Banishers of New Eden I'm interested in, so I might pick it up to try it for a couple of weeks, but I'm still gonna wait for reviews at least. I wanted punchy face kicking like Batman. Guns... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For games I'm tempted to try but not willing to spend much on them, I wait for them to be heavily discounted, added to Plus/Gamepass or I keep note and add to the Santa list in December. Never in a rush anyway since have loads of unplayed games as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Second comment on the original post. Here we are four years later. Poor rocksteady working this long on a turkey

SSKTJL went live in New Zealand for those with early access.

Game had to be brought offline after about an hour because a bug pretty much auto-completed the main story mode for some players.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I was really surprised they went with the choice to locate this within the Arkhamverse. Arkham Knight, for all its many faults, at least provided a definitive conclusion for their Batman.

A more positive take.

Still manages to sound like videogame poison to me.

Yeah most seem to say the gameplay is okay-to-good, and the traversal can be good (though some are saying Harley's traversal is pretty awful to use), but that ultimately the missions are very samey, the gear/builds are fairly pointless, and it's a waste of the license and just feels soulless most of the time. That a lot of the detail and environments in some of the areas such as the Hall of Justice, Daily Planet etc are among Rocksteady's best, but once you go outside you're just jumping rooftop to rooftop killing purple goons.

Even if it's ok there's just been so many great games released that I could t in good conscience waste time on a game like this.

Yeah even when it (inevitably quite quickly) goes on sale, it seems the main campaign is only around 10 hours long, which is probably a blessing if the missions are all repetitive, but it just doesn't seem worth the bother. I might just watch the story on Youtube, see the end of the Arkhamverse as I think it's unlikely we'll ever see it again now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

People need to realise this is not a typical rocksteady game and was never intended to be.

Solid FPS on twitch amongst other well known looter shooter creators and fans have it down as an S-tier looter shooter yet theres so many reviewers who simply dont understand the concept of the genre.

Upper Echelon gaming who is a well regarded youtuber spent the majority of his review crying over a green ring or some rubbish falling into the wrong hands all the while not once did he seem to grasp what a looter shooter grindathon actually is.

The guy is totally missing the point of the genre and is crying about a lore aspect that nobody who is buying this game to spend hundreds of hours grinding will honestly give a toss about.

I havent played it yet but as a looter shooter and arpg nerd any sources i trust really rate the game as looter shooter.

Personally im torn between this and Granblue fantasy relink.

Eventually ill get both but which one first is the question.

Most people entirely understand the concept of a looter shooter and that’s precisely why many of them have zero interest in this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Then reviewers should review it as the game is intended.

Thats like saying the Irish Rugby team are rubbish [which they are clearly not because the person saying so was watching them play hurling] :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement