Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The world when this is over

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mean gene wrote: »
    I reckon it'll be over in less than a year from now
    Every langer has an opinion

have some respect for yourself, theres no need to be calling yourself such things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Will people start travelling again in 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gael23 wrote: »

probably, some probably havent stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

Handshakes are finished forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Aside from the worries about health, the economy,job security and mental health (all very real and relevant concerns) I find it a very interesting time to be experiencing. To see how people have reacted at every level is interesting and I would not have expected it to showcase division in such obvious ways.

I had hoped for a period that the world would take it as a warning sign of the seriousness of things when unprepared and that this would lead to more sensible governments and policies but I am not so confidence that this will be the case.

The following is a very stunning image.

AP20232111894684.jpg?w=1024&h=681&crop=1

The climate crisis, a contributory factor for devastating wildfires, is still building and while Covid has enforced the belief for many to listen to the science, it unfortunately has also shown that many have no interest in such an approach.

That picture is amazing, perfectly sums up how I feel about the current situation.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Gael23 wrote: »

Why have you stopped? The WHO has said that travelling does not cause the spread of the virus, more so the behaviour of individuals on either end of that journey.

The government advice is advisory at best and can’t be enforced. Europe is open has commenced the new normal until this is sorted out.

And to answer the OP - we will go back to as before with hopefully some better cleaning and hygiene (badly needed imo). Humans are creatures of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Why have you stopped? The WHO has said that travelling does not cause the spread of the virus, more so the behaviour of individuals on either end of that journey.

The government advice is advisory at best and can’t be enforced. Europe is open has commenced the new normal until this is sorted out.

And to answer the OP - we will go back to as before with hopefully some better cleaning and hygiene (badly needed imo). Humans are creatures of habit.
    That some people are already beginning to let their guard down is a clear sign that we are keen to return to a real normal as soon as we can.

The places I was supposed to go this year are on the green list but then there’s no guarantee they will still be next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I genuinely fear for the prospects of the millions of epidemiologists and virologists that have come on stream since February, what will they do when the pandemics ends?

They’ll go back to whatever their job was before? You don’t become an epidemiologist or a virologist in 6 months. It takes years of study and research. Some of these people have been working in the field for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MadYaker wrote: »
    They’ll go back to whatever their job was before? You don’t become an epidemiologist or a virologist in 6 months. It takes years of study and research. Some of these people have been working in the field for decades.
    And some of them should stay away from mics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Another issue is everyone is saying how great working from home is. Why will companies hire people in countries with high pay if all they need are people with internet access and low wages? Companies are already saying why do we need to pay so much if people aren't commuting or have to live in expensive areas. Manufacturing has left lots of countries for lower wages why wouldn't services follow.

WFH could be the biggest race to the bottom ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It will never really go back to how it was before, some things will go back to normal, but, others like wearing masks, no handshakes, large crowds without some kind of restrictions will remain to some extent. Also there's too much money to be made and too many vested interests to allow things to go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Aside from the worries about health, the economy,job security and mental health (all very real and relevant concerns) I find it a very interesting time to be experiencing. To see how people have reacted at every level is interesting and I would not have expected it to showcase division in such obvious ways.

I had hoped for a period that the world would take it as a warning sign of the seriousness of things when unprepared and that this would lead to more sensible governments and policies but I am not so confidence that this will be the case.

The following is a very stunning image.

AP20232111894684.jpg?w=1024&h=681&crop=1

The climate crisis, a contributory factor for devastating wildfires, is still building and while Covid has enforced the belief for many to listen to the science, it unfortunately has also shown that many have no interest in such an approach.

I’m totally with you. If I was cynical before this, I’m even more convinced now we are even more disconnected from our environment then I could of imagined.

Very few lessons will be learned and very shortly after this pandemic had moved on, life will go back to ignorant bliss. Many people can’t even plan for retirement because it’s such an abstract concept. As a species we struggle to see more then a couple of years into the future. King of like the term of the average western democracy government, we find it very hard to think further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I didn't think I'd have to state that i was of course being sarcastic and was actually referring to how so many of the general public have no hesitation in offering opinion on matters epidemiological since February despite having zero qualifications in a related area in most cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I didn't think I'd have to state that i was of course being sarcastic and was actually referring to how so many of the general public have no hesitation in offering opinion on matters epidemiological since February despite having zero qualifications in a related area in most cases

We have too much information now

Everyone is an expert, guilty of it myself

Funny thing is we wouldn't even have noticed Covid if not for all the media information ( don't lie now, we wouldnt have noticed all the people over 70 who died, dieing is what you do that age )

If China or an other country hadn't blown the whistle we'd all have been living normal all year, wouldn't have noticed a thing

Ignorance is bliss, that's all I know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The biggest thing that will change is the greater rise in far right nationalism. The economy globally is on life support. 40% unemployment by the end of these 2 years is not unlikely. There will be no money for public health services, health, education. There will be no jobs. There will be repossessions.

The impact of WW1 and Spanish flu was Hitler, Mussolini and friends. Right wing nationalism is in charge in the US and UK already, Poland and Hungary the same, the impact of this will fuel it further.

40% unemployment?!?!? I expect a recession but not that, maybe 20% max.

Might be a good thing really, a nice spate of foreclosures to finally give the millenials a chance to get their foot on the ladder. Of course going by usual government policy led by the us, they will save failing business and save defaulting home owners, the youth will still be priced out and will be taxed more to save the over extended homeowners and keep themselves renting. I have no idea why we accept this, we are all free market until the old and/or wealthy are effected, them we are happy to break the invisible hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I wouldn't question their subject matter expertise but I'd question their expertise in data analysis.

A lot of fields - including climate modelling - don't have enough data to make accurate predictions or can't analyse what they have correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It will never really go back to how it was before, some things will go back to normal, but, others like wearing masks, no handshakes, large crowds without some kind of restrictions will remain to some extent. Also there's too much money to be made and too many vested interests to allow things to go back to normal.

Handshakes maybe but large scale wearing of masks won't stay, large crowds? Of course they'll come back, sporting events, concerts, festivals will all return at some point the same way as they did before. There'll be increased hygiene measures of course but you'll see the crowds like before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The money to be made from the pandemic will be in mandatory vaccinations and digital passports/ cloud based health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Handshakes maybe but large scale wearing of masks won't stay, large crowds? Of course they'll come back, sporting events, concerts, festivals will all return at some point the same way as they did before. There'll be increased hygiene measures of course but you'll see the crowds like before

Totally agree

Look at Wuhan, people went back to normal.

Look at WW1 and WW2, people went back to normal. Even looking at the protests yesterday many people already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Del2005 wrote: »
    Another issue is everyone is saying how great working from home is. Why will companies hire people in countries with high pay if all they need are people with internet access and low wages?...

One of the companies we deal with has done this already, shifted their US core team to working from home and outsourced everything else to a third party that recruits graduates in Viet Nam and (I think) Honduras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Normal is your own ability to adapt to whatever is in front of you.

Being honest with ye, rural life hasn't changed much if anything it's gotten better.

There's a lot of open spaces and miles of headland's and empty beaches and woods inland.

I do empathise with people living in urban areas who have to line up and abide by the covid Abrahamic like rules.
    There's guilt shaming, people falling out and getting paranoid about others business.

Theres a house for sale up the road and it's gaining interest from people from Limerick/Cork and Dublin who want to work from home.

Imagine getting away from the inner city, working from home and having the Burren and it's satellite towns all around you, Gort, Ennis, Ennistymon, Kinvara along with the Cliff's of Moher, endless beaches, the Burren and there's a lot of scope of you've an outdoorsy lifestyle.

I can see people getting sick of suburbia and buying house's in the west for 220,000 instead of 500,000 plus
    Imagine the savings...

You'd be a made woman or man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Another thing I observed is, no more candles on birthday cakes...

Blowing out the candles and nobody wants to eat the cake after FFS it's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

So not back to normal like before, never said large scale mask wearing would stay or large crowds would not return, what I meant was some people will continue to wear masks and the there will be measures/restrictions on large crowds ie hygiene measures.
    I work for a large multi national company, mask wearing is not mandatory, but, expected, they have temp sensors at each entrance to check peoples temperature, canteen seats and times assigned, some office workers working from home and some other measures too, all these measures came in because of Covid-19 and will remain long after it's gone with the possible exception of the masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What covid has taught me, well hammered home, is that life is a gift. No more putting things like work in front of my own aspirations, family, friends and loved ones. I’m putting ME and US ( as in my loved ones ) first, front and center, always, without exception.

Life is to be enjoyed, not endured, every day. I’m going to be absolutely ruthless in my pursuit of happiness... anything or anybody who attempts to get in the path of that will find themselves in ‘difficulty’... be it an employer, anything. Give me trouble, you’ll get it back...

Everything everyday is going to be fun, positive, enjoyable, fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2 years based on the Spanish Flu. Spanish Flu didn't have free air miles like Covid 19, took Spanish Flu 2 years to spread and die out. Covid 19 has done it's worst, all up hill from here, will be a non issue in 3 months hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Strumms wrote: »
    What covid has taught me, well hammered home, is that life is a gift. No more putting things like work in front of my own aspirations, family, friends and loved ones. I’m putting ME and US ( as in my loved ones ) first, front and center, always, without exception.

Life is to be enjoyed, not endured, every day. I’m going to be absolutely ruthless in my pursuit of happiness... anything or anybody who attempts to get in the path of that will find themselves in ‘difficulty’... be it an employer, anything. Give me trouble, you’ll get it back...

Life gets in the way of living. The need to chase the mighty dollar is not a happy chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There will be a couple of posters back who won’t like your post but this post is spot on, fully agree.

2 years based on the Spanish Flu. Spanish Flu didn't have free air miles like Covid 19, took Spanish Flu 2 years to spread and die out. Covid 19 has done it's worst, all up hill from here, will be a non issue in 3 months hopefully.

Travel his spread this but one can only hope with modern day science and medicine this will take less time than the Spanish flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Cant argue with this. The problem is though ( probably with myself ) is that it's easy to forget this and get caught up in the whole machine that life can sometimes be.

Advertisement