Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The world when this is over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I think it will be similar to how travelling changed after 9/11. Things will revert back to an extent but it will never completely go back to the way it was. There will still be restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Wear one if you want, no? If you have a cold or whatever and are planning on using public transport, you definitely should be wearing one.

I agree but I just get the feeling most people wont, and then a certain cohort will target those who do.

To be honest with you, I don't think I'll be wearing one unless required at that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Hopefully after this virus people will stop speaking in the fucking clichés that can be seen littered throughout this thread.

"Cure better than the disease"
    "live with this virus"

I bet you go around telling people about your "staycation". Have you had an original thought in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'll be some changes. In situations like this change is forced on us and some of the changes turn out to be improvements that otherwise wouldn't have happened. People coming into work with any sort of illness won't be tolerated anymore I don't think. Certainly not where I work anyway. A lot of people will be working from home a lot of the time. It remains to be seen how extensive this will be and the impact that will have on city centres. Id fully expect the government to spend time and money coming up with a pandemic response plan and the EU collectively will do the same. Air travel will take a year or two to come back. I never travelled much for work but I think the people who were over back to the states every few weeks won't be doing that anymore. Maybe it'll get more expensive so we'll have to fly less, I would have done 2 or 3 short holidays every year but I think it'll be a while before it's worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hopefully after this virus people will stop speaking in the fucking clichés that can be seen littered throughout this thread.

"Cure better than the disease"
    "live with this virus"

I bet you go around telling people about your "staycation". Have you had an original thought in your life.

Oh so bitter.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Del2005 wrote: »
    If people wore them properly it might be effective but the vast majority of people aren't so it's not that effective.

The Asian way of wearing a mask if you are unwell is a good idea because they will be worn and used correctly. Mandatory masks are a farce by being worn wrong and taken on and off multiple times.

Vast majority? Really?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Maybe it'll get more expensive so we'll have to fly less, I would have done 2 or 3 short holidays every year but I think it'll be a while before it's worth the effort.

I don’t fly for sun holidays anyway. I have family in the USA i visit twice a year. It will have to resume at some point in the future, even if it costs more it won’t be a problem.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Oh so bitter.........

Yeah sometimes I'm jealous I'm not just completely thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Things I hope stay in place:

Working from home 1-4 days a week if industries where its possible
    Hand sanitiser in supermarkets and restaurants
    Wearing masks if you're sick and have to go out
    Staying home if you are sick and not dragging yourself to the pub with a lemsip
    Massive weddings where you have to invite the lad from college you kind of were mates with

The only thing I can see changing are some people will be able to work from home more.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah sometimes I'm jealous I'm not just completely thick.

Personal opinions of one selves should be taken with a pinch of salt on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Massive changes will be needed in working rights laws regarding payments if they want people to stay home when they are sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The roaring twenties followed the 1918-1921 pandemic - people made up for a few years of hardship with years of exuberance. I can the same happening - there's a lot of deferred spending, a lot of people regretting they didn't travel more or eat out more etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

I hope I can continue getting parcels delivered without having to answer the door

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

El Sueño wrote: »
    Things will be exactly the same as they were before, you'd swear the way some people are talking that we won't have gigs or sport ever again

There are two extreme opinions..
    First people are in denial, impatient, determined to go back to normal immediately and forget the whole thing.
    Second is an overreaction when told restrictions may have to continue. You'd swear it was going be forever! Even if it takes a year or two, normality will return eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The biggest wealth transfer in human history is also on the horizon - from the wealthiest cohort in history ( boomers ) to millennials/ gen Xers.

I think the figure globally is 50 trillion dollars. This will find its way over the coming decades to a generation that likes to spend. Its a good time to identify what these people will spend on, and start a business in that area. Experience based services and entertainment for sure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhall/2019/11/11/the-greatest-wealth-transfer-in-history-whats-happening-and-what-are-the-implications/#4788b2794090

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I hope GPs will continue to phone you in from your car when it’s your turn, instead going back to sitting in a crowded waiting room full of sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I fcukin hate weddings so it would be great if they stayed small close family friends events. I know some people love them but lots don’t

Multipass wrote: »
    I hope GPs will continue to phone you in from your car when it’s your turn, instead going back to sitting in a crowded waiting room full of sick people.
    How on earth was this standard protocol for such a long time.
    hmmm wrote: »
    The roaring twenties followed the 1918-1921 pandemic - people made up for a few years of hardship with years of exuberance. I can the same happening - there's a lot of deferred spending, a lot of people regretting they didn't travel more or eat out more etc.
    I've been getting disappointed flashbacks to the two or three times I decided not to go out at the weekend back in November/December.

I dunno about everyone else but we're saving a good bit of money by having people over to the house (well, a gazebo in the garden) instead of going out to the pub. I miss the spontaneity of heading into town and bumping into people but there's always a 50/50 chance you'll meet an annoying prick instead of someone you actually wanted to see. It's a bigger incentive to stay in touch with the cool people. Sorry pubs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

[QUOTi don’t have cE=Multipass;114386964]I hope GPs will continue to phone you in from your car when it’s your turn, instead going back to sitting in a crowded waiting room full of sick people.[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a car though

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Gael23 wrote: »
    Today the WHO suggested this pandemic will end in 2 years.
    Is how the world works now changed forever or will behaviours revert to old norms when a cure is found?

2 years is a surprisingly optimistic timeframe from them. I would have thought double that at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Eventually we'll all be micro chipped and connected to the smart grid so it will be a tad different.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Jimi H

Things will definitely change. I think we will flock back to the pubs in Ireland but International travel may take time to recover. The whole working from home thing will have some positives but I think it will also open up local jobs to a more global base. We may see a lot more support for local small businesses which would be great. I think we will have other difficulties to deal with like climate change and the growing resistance to antibiotics which some commentators have predicted will lead to the next pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I genuinely fear for the prospects of the millions of epidemiologists and virologists that have come on stream since February, what will they do when the pandemics ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Why?
    Mr rebel wrote: »
    2 years is a surprisingly optimistic timeframe from them. I would have thought double that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I genuinely fear for the prospects of the millions of epidemiologists and virologists that have come on stream since February, what will they do when the pandemics ends?

They'll go back to their old jobs as climate experts.

Aye and promote more doomsday the world is gonna end hysteria ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Aye and promote more doomsday the world is gonna end hysteria ;-)

Right on cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd say most of them will be busy in their jobs, as they currently are, pouring over all of the new found data and information

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Mr rebel wrote: »

I reckon it'll be over in less than a year from now
    Every langer has an opinion

Advertisement