Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

P McLoughlin Sinn Fein TD there on the panel seems happy enough with the new agenda.

I don't know if OS ever did a litter pick.

I know you did and so did I.

It's quite obvious that Return won't help with litter that is crunched up in the dirt and grass, but then it's not designed to do so.

What it might do is make the person who finishes the drink hold on to the empty can to get the deposit back.

Even if they are stupid enough to throw money out the window the fact that there is a deposit to be reclaimed might make someone else quicker to pick it up before it's damaged.

Time will tell.

I'm sure when you were litter picking you came across cans and bottles in good nick as well as the dirty crunched up ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I do come across some undamaged Coke and Red Bull tins etc Bottles have more chance of 'survival' if not left too long. There's also a fierce amount of crumpled tins and bottles with degraded labels. Drinking parties - less so I think, they mostly crumple the cans or kick them or whatever and leave them about. This new system will have zero benefit here, can't see anyone gathering refundables being bothered with them. Years ago this idea applied to glass bottles but unless broken, these survived ages in ditches and could be collected for refunds.

What little criticism there was this morning was geared to the large variety of other plastic bottles and tins that this scheme just ignores. Even though the stated aim is to increase rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I would be of the opinion that those who ‘throw cans around’ are the least likely to return them.

Those who are least likely to throw cans around (you and I) would recycle them anyway.

Do they take two litre cans of Argus 8*5% one wonders😯

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭squonk

What’s the real point of this scheme? Not designed to make money but producer pays to register barcodes and shops pay for machines for which they get about 50% of the cost rebated over time. Likely a lot of plastic bites and cans won’t be eligible because either the label is pulled off or damaged and cabs might be crossed or deformed. I’d say one maybe 40% of cans will be pristine. What’s the point?

Well the quango CEO and staff get good salaries and perks. The manufacturers & suppliers of RVM machines will make good money and those who service and empty them. There will presumably be a better class of recycled product, sorted by the public, that can be sold on for money. It's part of a new Green Tech industry that we're paying for.

• Advertisement

They aren't a quango they are a not for profit company.

Yes the people working for the company will be paid, they have bills, mortgages etc. they can't work for nothing.

Similarly the people who supply goods and services to the company will be paid because that's how business works.

They like to call it part of the circular economy.

The genius of it all is it won't be a cost to the consumer.

Why won’t it be a cost? Of course it will. I buy a can of coke but it fans and gets damaged, 15c sheen the drain. My water bottle lacked beets damaged.. 25c then the drain. Currently I can recycle all of these at home in my blue bin and do. It’s more about getting more jobs for the boys.

It's cost neutral if you return the can in readable condition.

You still need your blue bin for other recyclables.

Yes it will provide jobs but not at your expense.

Ideally I’d like to return my item in good condition but if the label gets damaged in penalised. It’s not cost neutral. It’s an opportunistic charge by a guy who is in his last chance before getting drummed out next election. Quite an arrogant guy as well it has to be said.

This was coming in no matter who was in government.

The opposition support it too.

I'm conscious that this is the Radio Forum and we might be going on a bit of a tangent.

There are threads about DRS in Current Affairs and After Hours.

If you want to continue chatting about it I'm posting on both.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Picked 30 odd red bull cans off a few hundred yards of my road . They should put a tenner on red bull cans imho. Just someone driving up the road (country lane doesn't go anywhere) lobbing a can out every morning. Unbelievable.

Oops just saw the post I'll shut up

It's pure nonsense to suggest that all the varied economic activities that I outlined can be done 'at no cost to the consumer' A lie, a three card trick.

You can't generate wealth or income out of nothing - someone pays and that someone is the public at large.

Circular economy me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Thomas Byrne putting ‘Cullum’ in his box over the Basketball issue.

Cullum wanted Guuvt. ‘foonding’ for any fines incuured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Cleaning up before love. Aka Hollywood, Brazilian, total eclipse, 70's old Skool.

Clare seen the question coming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

Hes very vague on what a durable relationship actually is - hes not getting the message accross great

Roderic O'G on now, getting a fairly soft interview but even at that, he's all at sea trying to explain what a 'durable relationship' might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did Roderic go to 'how to waffle' school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

Well after that interview Roderick has convinced me that nothing needs to change - Im pretty sure he wanted to achieve the opposite but failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Same as that, the government will strive to 😏, that is a bullsh#t statement,

Claire gave him an easy interview as she knew she wouldn't get a straight answer,

When he came out with a yes vote will mean carers will get more funding or NGOs will have to explain why they're not campaigning for a yes vote, then you know they're spoofing and panicking,

So it's a no from me

And along came Ronan.

He's a well known nice reasonable guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

can't take a nutritionist seriously who says tummy instead of stomach.

"we need to keep water in our tummies" what does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

It's like one of my friends' aul wans was given a radio show. Just a complete non-entity. Having a microphone in front of your face should be a more privileged position, given the fact that it implies that what you express is valuable enough that it deserves to be propagated beyond your own immediate surroundings. This is not the case with Claire Byrne, the total midwit normie dreary c that she is.

Hard to vote YES when they seem to have no actual definition or idea of what a “Durable Relationship” is. Vote YES and the courts will figure it out later is not a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

the current fees at the school of waffle are eye watering:

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Claire keeps saying the new extension of "child benefit up to age of eighteen", whereas it is up to age 19 https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boost-for-families-as-child-benefit-extension-to-be-brought-forward/a1474954262.html

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Retrofit your home for 80k

Pay for it with a loan over 100 years.

Why did Claire not shut down this nonsense

Why would you invite a contributor onto a radio programme and then shut him down for suggesting something so innocuous ?

It is not innocuous, retrofit's don’t have a lifespan of 100 years and paying for it over 100 years is daft.

If you sell the house, the new owner won’t be paying for a 40 year old retrofit and certainly won’t be taking over the loan.

Wouldn’t shut any contributor down, but I would question the logic.

It's a strange proposal all right and I can't see it going far.

The guy was obviously speaking in good faith and deserved a hearing.

If it doesn't stand up to scrutiny no harm done.

They never did get around to the matter of bridging finance to cover the grant amount.

I understand there is an announcement due next week.

• Advertisement

I don’t know, maybe I just expect more from an interviewer.

If someone mentions 100 year loans, and it is not queried……is it an interview/debate, or a paid advertisement slot(without the payment of course).

When I turn on the radio to this show or similar ones, my expectation is that debate is rounded rather than something you would get on a party political broadcast.

We should expect more, and if we are prepared to accept vanilla interviewing, then why bother switching on ?

Advertisement