Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

Wyn Jones looks grand

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Van der Merwe is a defensive liability.
    SA won't care about his attacking threat but they'll fancy a go down that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wyn Jones looks grand

Yeah they showed him in the stands with the rest of the players earlier in the second half and he was holding his arm a little awkwardly but certainly didn't look like he was in a lot of pain or anything.

Hopefully was just a stinger

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Wyn Jones looks grand

Yeah, you'd hope it's not the end of the tour for him, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Blackheath

AWJ looks positive and in good form at the end any sign of Tipuric at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought all the Irish contingent played well. But Conan, Henshaw and Aki all played especially well. Hopefully Conan's injury isn't too serious. One or two more performances of that quality and he'll be threatening Faletau's starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

It was a Twitter vote and it was up at like 50 minutes into the game.

Only 3 options. Biggar, Beirne & VDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Clegg wrote: »
    Thought all the Irish contingent played well. But Conan, Henshaw and Aki all played especially well. Hopefully Conan's injury isn't too serious. One or two more performances of that quality and he'll be threatening Faletau's starting spot.

Yeah Conan was class, Faletau didn't look great, he seems to have lost a bit of aggression in defense, his tackling was soft and even in the 6 nations he was run over a few times.
    Simmonds also has a big chance to get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Virgin are also reporting a dislocated shoulder for AWJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Clegg wrote: »
    Virgin are also reporting a dislocated shoulder for AWJ.
    Yeah, he's pretty much done according to Gatland. Will be scanned, but they'll be looking for a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wyn Jones looks grand
    Why, what happened to Wyn Jones? Alun Wyn didn't look to bad though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Absolutely gutted for AWJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Gutting for Alun Wyn and a blow to the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

So so gutted for AWJ.

Fully deserved the chance to lead the Lions on tour.

He was on track to play in 12 consecutive tests, which would have been out of this world in the pro era.

Huge loss.

Jonny Gray couldn't have timed that try better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

TRC10 wrote: »
    Jonny Gray couldn't have timed that try better

Whilst JG and Ryan are the clear frontrunners, could see Gatland rethinking things and selecting another back row player rather than a replacement lock. They're very well stocked in the second row even with AWJ gone. They have two opensides with injury issues now and no dedicated blindside.

There are only 5 matches before the first test. Itoje and Hill haven't joined up and need game time. They'll need to cement a new partnership at lock quickly.

I wouldn't bet against guys like Stander or Navidi being in with a very good shot of a call up to replace AWJ as overall cover. I'm not sure Gatland sees anyone else as a realistic test option ahead of guys already there.

If he follows the same selection approach in terms of player style and goes with a lock, Jake Ball is a left field option. Gatland selected him regularly and he's 120kg+. Very much in the Johnny Hill mould.

Buer wrote: »
    Whilst JG and Ryan are the clear frontrunners, could see Gatland rethinking things and selecting another back row player rather than a replacement lock. They're very well stocked in the second row even with AWJ gone. They have two opensides with injury issues now and no dedicated blindside.

There are only 5 matches before the first test. Itoje and Hill haven't joined up and need game time. They'll need to cement a new partnership at lock quickly.

I wouldn't bet against guys like Stander or Navidi being in with a very good shot of a call up to replace AWJ as overall cover. I'm not sure Gatland sees anyone else as a realistic test option ahead of guys already there.

If he follows the same selection approach in terms of player style and goes with a lock, Jake Ball is a left field option. Gatland selected him regularly and he's 120kg+. Very much in the Johnny Hill mould.

It had crossed my mind. But I'm not sure about that.

Beirne is going to be used purely at 6. And although he came on at lock today due to injury, I can see Lawes being the other 6 and it being a straight shootout between him and Beirne. Can't see Curry being played at 6, I think it's clear what type of 6 Gatland wants and Curry doesn't fit the bill.

There's lots of cover at 7 and 8 with three players in each position.

That leaves just Itoje, Hill and Henderson as the locks. And you need at least 4 so you can rotate between weekend and midweek

It would be a shift in mindset from Gatland if he now decided he was going to use Beirne or Lawes as a lock and select a smaller 6. And I don't see that happening. He knows the game he wants to play to beat SA and I don't think one injury will make him change his mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭roverjoyce

I wonder does George Kruis come into consideration
    Lion from 4 years ago and can run a line out for the mid week team

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Blackheath

Cowan Dickie is out of the Lions tour. Baxter has confirmed that he will miss out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Adam Beard??

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Adam beard over James Ryan or Gray!! What the actual ****!!!

On another note; Murray is now the tour captain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Conor Murray is the new captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Delighted for Conor Murray. What a great honour. Good luck Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Murray new captain

Burkie1203 wrote: »

That's astonishing if true. Absurd.

If Cowan Dickie is out I suspect Kelleher is in for a call up but given the first two replacements who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Navidi for Tipuric is completely understandable but Adam beard for Jones!!! Really. That’s mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OUTRAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Adam Beard??

Ah here.

Welsh quota had to be maintained!:)

Maybe Gatland couldn't listen to any more of McBryde and Townsend batting for Ryan and Gray and decided to take neither of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Wow, how far down the list is James Ryan?

I guess he just doesn't have what Gatland is looking for in a lock

Advertisement