Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭TRC10

[HTML][/HTML]
    aloooof wrote: »
    Completely agree with this, tbh. The OP's sentiment has popped up once or twice recently, but I don't think it's well founded.

For the Conan try in particular we saw a number of note-worthy non-Sexton related things including:
    - Aki stepping in at scrum-half, and with some good passing in general phase play.
    - Earls stepping in at first receiver twice.
    - A Furlong offload.
    - Every player with the ball in their hands, outside of Henderson and Herring
    - Conan scoring the try on penalty advantage, whereas previously we've been criticised for kicking it away.
    - Patience. We had made little progress after 11 phases but continued with possession. Given how far England were hitting us behind the gainline in previous meetings, this was a clear improvement.

In previous games, an Irish player would have just stepped over the ball and waited for the 9 to get there and play it, even if there was an overlap waiting to be untilised.

I know the term "heads up rugby" has been thrown around a lot and has become a bit of a cliché, but that's a perfect example of what's meant by "heads up rugby". Nobody thinks Ireland should become Fiji. Of course structure is important, but players shouldn't be made stick to the structure to the detriment of overlaps or try scoring opportunities.

I'm hoping that game wasn't just our typical flash in the pan performance because it's England, at home, last day, blah blah blah. But that it's actually the beginning of Ireland starting to build something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

TRC10 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

I'm hoping that game wasn't just our typical flash in the pan performance because it's England, at home, last day, blah blah blah. But that it's actually the beginning of Ireland starting to build something.

I know we are in danger of going off topic a bit, but I'm very much in the "Ireland are building something" camp. However there are obvious issues at 10 and the fact we maybe lack a bit of X Factor in the backline, that's why I think a fully fit and on form Ringrose is essential to Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »
    I know we are in danger of going off topic a bit, but I'm very much in the "Ireland are building something" camp. However there are obvious issues at 10 and the fact we maybe lack a bit of X Factor in the backline, that's why I think a fully fit and on form Ringrose is essential to Ireland.

ringrose, balacoune, larmour / stockdale, keenan

as 13 - 15 would have a decent level of X factor ie the ability to do things off the cuff regularly

bilston wrote: »

Personally, I'm skeptical.

England never really fired a shot all game and in the 2nd half we only really had to get into their half and they'd concede a penalty. It's also worth noting that both Scotland and Wales also dispatched of that England team comfortably enough.

I think that England game saved Farrell from having some serious questions asked. Even as it stands, it's been two very average/poor 6 Nations. The only other noteworthy performance of his tenure was against Wales in his 2nd game back in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

starkid wrote: »
    yeah and i never said it didn't. But funnily enough IReland always seems to get the short end of the stick. i wonder why that is? look alot of it is media bull****, but it still pisses me off. Hickey, ROG, Earls, POC as captain and even Sexton for a bit all got shredded by a stupid British press. I think it wasa that wanker Stephen Jones who mocked us calling us all potatoe eaters (O'Reilly alluded to this)

Its not just cause of us, its the whole imperial notion of the tour. IN reality England and Britain looks down on us.

Anyway its a personal reason. I think the lads are brilliant. But clearly we've overhyped them, and that is a depressing thought. In particularl Larmour, Stockdale, Ryan.

The tour of course still matters. they are still really hard to win. if Furlong, Henshaw, Murray are the lads starting in key positions id be fully behind it.

The point is though its not the same as before (say pre 2009) when 2 or 3 of the teams were so inconsistent and unprofessional. thats just a fact. it doesn't take anything away from it. But its why, shock horror, some rugby fans are indifferent to it. The Islands house some of the greatest teams in the World now. thats the reality. Different story for the players as its probably a pride thing, personal vindication amongst peers. as i said one of the only all star games in rugby.

i know i'm an outlier on this. I have a friend who is on the analyst ticket. he would tell me to stfu. I get it. its not a popular opinion. i'm not trying to convince anybody.

Scotland got 2 players in 2017, which end of the stick did they get?

Larmour, Stockdale, Ryan and Ringrose have all been in poor form for extended periods of times.

Practically the only team in the last 8 years that might be over represented, would be Wales. That’s purely because it’s easier for a coach to go with what he knows, when it’s a 50/50 call.

Suggesting that our players are overhyped is inaccurate and unhelpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

"Joe Schmidt was the worst thing to ever happen to Irish rugby."

A comment once overheard by yours truly in Thomond Park.

Must have been dub on a rare visit because no self respecting musterman would pronounce his surname like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

TRC10 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm skeptical.

England never really fired a shot all game and in the 2nd half we only really had to get into their half and they'd concede a penalty. It's also worth noting that both Scotland and Wales also dispatched of that England team comfortably enough.

I think that England game saved Farrell from having some serious questions asked. Even as it stands, it's been two very average/poor 6 Nations. The only other noteworthy performance of his tenure was against Wales in his 2nd game back in 2020.

agree 100% here. that game could be the start of an upturn, but england were very hit and miss in this 6N. for me, we also really struggled to break them down for all the possession we had. hopefully its a starting point but for me the jury is still out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's gas, as far back as I can remember when Lion's tours rolls around all these people come out of the wood work saying how much they hate it and that it should be done away with. I was in South Africa 2009 for the 2nd test and there were people afterwards saying with a straight face, 'it doesn't work anymore, they should retire it'. This was being said despite the fact they had travelled all the way to SA and it was one of the most brutal, exciting, competitive Lion's games ever(imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Ringrose wasn't picked because Gatland likes big straight runners, and this is especially true against SA? Lions is weird as you get to pick your best against a known opposition.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Ringrose wasn't picked because Gatland likes big straight runners, and this is especially true against SA? Lions is weird as you get to pick your best against a known opposition.

I'd say it's more because he's struggled to put together a consistent run of form since the world cup.

I wouldn't exactly call Daly a big straight runner. I know there were other factors at play in Daly's selection, but ultimately if Ringrose was playing well enough he'd have been picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Well lads it's game day!, I'm surprisingly excited about this. Every Ireland player on tour in a match day 15, let's Hope the ones in hotly rested positions have a Stormer and give gatland a few headaches and sleepless nights come test selection time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Kickoff at 3pm Irish time on Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And VirginM 2

Oh wait, its ****in Luke Fitzgerald.

C4 it is.

Miles Harrison is sick?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Miles Harrison is sick?

He is, or recovering - he might not have been doing this game anyway but he won’t be calling the games for Sky this time round (first time since 1997).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Was G Van den Heever actually supposed to play this game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Miles Harrison is sick?

He had colon cancer surgery earlier this week. He is going to be out from rugby commentary for a while as he is in recovery.

We wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Japan will be rusty but hopefully they can turn it on at some points in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

icdg wrote: »
    He is, or recovering - he might not have been doing this game anyway but he won’t be calling the games for Sky this time round (first time since 1997).

Who is commentating for sky?

Also what rights to c4 and virgin have for the rest of the series?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

He had colon cancer surgery earlier this week. He is going to be out from rugby commentary for a while as he is in recovery.

We wish him well.

I hadn't heard. Hear hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Conor McNamara is doing commentary on Channel 4 with Jamie Heaslip & Noelli Waterman.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hasn’t been announced yet. They are basically having to put the band back together having not had any live northern hemisphere rugby for a long time. Alex Payne and Will Greenwood are involved, but on the studio side.

C4 and VMTV will have highlights rights to the rest of the series.

Sky aren't showing today's game and AFAIK today is all that anyone except Sky has.

It'll likely be Mark Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Conor McNamara is doing commentary on Channel 4 with Jamie Heaslip & Noelli Waterman.

Heaslip, as always doing most of the talking.

Big Duhan got very lucky with his last gasp tackle earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Awj broken arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thats a broken wrist

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

AWJ is done. Gutted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

What a dose for Jones

AWJ is in big bother and it looks like he could be one and done.

That's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Who's next on the call up list.... James Ryan?

Advertisement