Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

I can't speak for others or be expected to answer for their beliefs.

I'm the interest of debate and discussion iv asked for you to share your views but still nothing is shared.

Their is no such position of employment on a thread for someone to just tell everyone else they are wrong while not putting forward their own opinions for equal scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But I'm not asking you to speak or answer for anyone.

I'm simply pointing that you are ignoring these kinda claims and pretending they were never made so you can maintain this notion that "conspiracy theorists" were right all along or that people were being unfairly labeled as conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

By that definition you are plagiarising the work of the FBI.

Unless you've been to China yourself, we are all relying on other sources. I provided a linked article showing that multiple US agencies running parallel investigations and have come to different conclusions. None of the conclusions with high certainty.

The reasons why it is not the most logical \ likely is that we have no need of it as an explanation. Viruses emerge naturally, such as SARS or Ebola, without need for 'lab leak' involvement. Therefore to make such a big claim here requires a higher standard of evidence, more than just mere coincidence.

The 'otherwise' evidence has been provided already on the thread - such as recently as the raccoon dogs in the wet market - but no doubt will be dismissed as being the result of found via 'Google'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm still very curious how this is explained without reverting to conspiracy theories.

The usual go is that the other agencies and scientists who don't agree with the lab leak idea are all part of a plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

No I'm agreeing with the FBI. I had drawn my own conclusion before they released any report.

The Chinese hid early evidence of the virus spread and also samples taken in 2020.

The virus most likely leaked from the laboratory in Wuhan that studies and possibly modifies Coronavirus'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

The reference medical authority in France has broken the taboo of an origin linked to manipulations by virologists in Wuhan.

Quite the turn around. I wonder what the conspiracy busting brigade here will say. Amazing how many people simply dismissed the French Nobel prize winner luc montagnier, rip and now this...

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

You mean the French Nobel prize winner who claimed that the virus was created as part of a secret cure for AIDS and who claims that DNA sends out radio waves.

Can't imagine why anyone might dismiss him...

However, this is an article that is 1. In French, and 2. behind a paywall. Given that full English articles have been repeatedly misrepresented and had their meaning mangled, I don't believe this cause is any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Now that this is no longer a conspiracy theory and that the most probably consensus is that in fact Covid 19 did come from a lab. Should this now be moved from the Conspiracy Theory forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

But the conspiracy theory presented both throughout this thread, and else where wasn't that Covid 19 just came from a lab.

It was that it was created whole cloth in a la for the express purpose of causing a pandemic or some such.

This remains a conspiracy theory. This is the case even if we assume the unsupported assertion of "the most probably consensus".

Not sure why the thread needs to be moved either. No one has been prevented from presenting their arguments, reasoning and evidence why they have been convinced of their particular views about the origin of covid.

Yet, this thread shows that people who subscribe to conspiracy theories about the virus don't seem particularly willing or able to explain their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,004 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Actually looking back, your initial post on this thread was to claim that the virus was created as a part of a secret cure for aids.

I don't see anyone supporting this other than the Noble prize winner who suggested the notion (without a jot of evidence) and the conspiracy theorists who have decided that a Noble prize makes someone infallible.

Given that you aren't repeating this claim now in your post gloating about how conspiracy theorists were right all along, I suspect that you don't support this idea anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The Sunday Times ran a very detailed piece on the possible origins of the virus. It's a long read and covers a lot of old ground but interestingly it seems that US intelligence intercepts seem to indicate that the lab was being used by the Chinese military for "other" purposes.

https://archive.is/BoPrc

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

But nothing in that article confirms anything any conspiracy theorists were claiming.

No conspiracy theorists were suggesting any of the details contained in this article, nor does the article confirm anything that conspiracy theorists did say, like the notion that the virus was created as a cure for AIDS as NaFirinne originally suggested.

It's also very strange that the times is now apparently a reliable source even though earlier it was part of the mainstream media conspiracy to "ridicule people as conspiracy theorists."

A cure for AIDS? Anyone suggesting that is batshït crazy, pun intended. It has nothing to do with the article I posted either.

Anyway, I've no intentions of getting into what was and wasn't deemed a "conspiracy theory" according to your own very narrow definition. There's mounting evidence it is most likely a result of some sort of lab leak (accidentalaly).

Well that's what was being claimed by the expert most quoted on this thread and was suggested by Nafirinne.

It is an example of the conspiracy theories that were actually being expressed, rather the vague notions we're being told were right all along now.

I'm simply highlighting the odd revisionism that's been going on lately to pretend that conspiracy theorists had something.

Well, you are completely correct to call out nonsense like that. Honestly, thinking this was a cure for AIDS is up there with some of the dumbest things I've ever read.

In my own ignorant opinion this looks like the Chinese military were trying to develop COVID/SARS, hidden from the rest of the world, as a bioweapon and develop a vaccine for it but it escaped from the lab. You only have to look at the damaged it caused the Chinese economy to understand that it isn't something even they would have done on purpose.

COVID/SARS has existed since 2002......

what do you think the 2 in SARSCov2 stands for......

Well, the 2 clearly stands for you didn't read my post. I'm fully aware there were COVID/SARS variants before the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Military and scientists doing something nefarious in a lab definitely sounds more exciting than dirt poor peasants that live in an environment where these viruses thrive being exposed on an almost daily basis.

• Advertisement

Ah great, so it WASN'T developed by the Chinese military then because they saw the effect the 2002 outbreak had back then.

You need to make you mind to add to what conspiracy theory your trying to push here

yes of course i did.

all it says that actual 'named sources' were people trying to work on a vaccine out of the lab, whereas an 'unnamed source' is the one pushing the CT that they military were trying to create a bioweapon. Do you think it unusual for the lab to be experimenting on various iterations of coronavirus when the reason they were there was to try to discover vaccines for the virus?

so until that unnamed source comes out publicly and shows the evidence to prove this, it will still remain as a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It would be absurd to look for vaccines for diseases that did not circulate at the time. That's not how vaccine research works. This is such a bizarre question to ask, an epidemic that "briefly" affected many millions was successfully dealt with almost 2 decades ago and we (humanity) were confronted with a new and emergent threat in 2019. "Experimenting on various iterations of coronavirus" does not equal vaccine discovery, trials, or the many funding checkpoints that those things involve.

Advertisement