Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,157 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What missing years?

:D:D It's glaringly obvious what has been sanitised.

Again, I ask. What missing year(S)?

A simple maths question for you. 100-34= ? + 20=?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Again, I ask. What missing year(S)?

A simple maths question for you. 100-34= ? + 20=?

For a start 2020-1934 is not 87.

For a start 2020-1934 is not 87.

Does it equate to the “years” you’ve been howling about?

Does it equate to the “years” you’ve been howling about?

Just wondering why they left out théite Blueshirts days. Forever ranting about other parties pasts but forgetting their own

One would think they have an agenda

P. S Dont do Maths jokes if you can't even subtract yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I understand it, O'Duffy was pushed out of Fine Gael for his fascist tendencies. His views were not acceptable to them.

"O'Duffy's approval of illegal agitation against the collection of land annuities by the government, declaration of his support for a republic and the revelation of his connections with the British Union of Fascists and the Fedrelandslaget were the last straws for moderates in Fine Gael. On 5 and 7 September 1934 Cosgrave, Ned Cronin and James Dillon met O'Duffy resulting in an agreement that O'Duffy could "deliver only carefully prepared and concise speeches from manuscripts" and give interviews "only after consultation and in writing". In response O'Duffy resigned from the party on the 18th of September."

He then went on to become associated with Sinn Fein and the IRA, who appeared to have no problem with his fascism.

"At one point O'Duffy was offered a position as an IRA intelligence officer and on another occasion he was invited to join former IRA Chiefs of Staff Moss Twomey and Andy Cooney in a protest against the "Yankee invasion of the Six Counties" in the summer of 1941"

It is quite ironic that you castigate Fine Gael for their association with O'Duffy, yet when they threw him out for being a fascist, you have no issue with his later association with Sinn Fein and the IRA.

blanch152 wrote: »
    As I understand it, O'Duffy was pushed out of Fine Gael for his fascist tendencies. His views were not acceptable to them.

"O'Duffy's approval of illegal agitation against the collection of land annuities by the government, declaration of his support for a republic and the revelation of his connections with the British Union of Fascists and the Fedrelandslaget were the last straws for moderates in Fine Gael. On 5 and 7 September 1934 Cosgrave, Ned Cronin and James Dillon met O'Duffy resulting in an agreement that O'Duffy could "deliver only carefully prepared and concise speeches from manuscripts" and give interviews "only after consultation and in writing". In response O'Duffy resigned from the party on the 18th of September."

He then went on to become associated with Sinn Fein and the IRA, who appeared to have no problem with his fascism.

"At one point O'Duffy was offered a position as an IRA intelligence officer and on another occasion he was invited to join former IRA Chiefs of Staff Moss Twomey and Andy Cooney in a protest against the "Yankee invasion of the Six Counties" in the summer of 1941"

It is quite ironic that you castigate Fine Gael for their association with O'Duffy, yet when they threw him out for being a fascist, you have no issue with his later association with Sinn Fein and the IRA.

Didnt take too long, but what about SF.

Just wondering why they left out théite Blueshirts days. Forever ranting about other parties pasts but forgetting their own

One would think they have an agenda

P. S Dont do Maths jokes if you can't even subtract yourself

You’ve been caught out. Deal with it.

Didnt take too long, but what about SF.

I'm sorry for you, but the history is clear. Fine Gael were finished with fascism by 1934, Sinn Fein, both through O'Duffy and others like Sean Russell pretty much aligned with fascists like Hitler for most of the following decade. Here is a good account of some of those links:

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/oh-heres-to-adolph-hitler-the-ira-and-the-nazis/

The fascination of posters like yourself with Fine Gael's brief flirtation with fascism reminds me of the fascination of Shinnerbots on Twitter with Mairia Cahill's brief links with dissidents.

But but but Sinn Féin

Same old same old

This is not a Sinn Féin thread

• Advertisement

But but but Sinn Féin

Same old same old

But, but, but......what about those missing YEARS?

Marriage Equality was opposed by FineGael in 2011 government formation.
    Labour & Eamon Gilmore pushed that issue.

Leo as recently as 2016 opposed repeal of the 8th.

They are taken credit and listing these as achievements, that's low even for the Blueshirts

But but but Sinn Féin

Same old same old

You made various vague general criticisms of a fascist past for Fine Gael. It was explained comprehensively to you how Fine Gael got rid of its fascist elements within a few short months of them appearing.

The contrast with Sinn Fein dalliance with totalitarianism was used as context. Perfectly apt to show the difference and to demonstrate that your criticism was both wrong and misguided and that a period of self-reflection on the party you do support would be appropriate.

You made various vague general criticisms of a fascist past for Fine Gael. It was explained comprehensively to you how Fine Gael got rid of its fascist elements within a few short months of them appearing.

The contrast with Sinn Fein dalliance with totalitarianism was used as context. Perfectly apt to show the difference and to demonstrate that your criticism was both wrong and misguided and that a period of self-reflection on the party you do support would be appropriate.

Bla Bla Sinn Féin

Bla Bla Sinn Féin

I think we will have to leave it there. You haven't challenged any of the facts in my post around the comparative links with fascism of FG and SF, so they can be taken as accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The Ministry of Truth would blush at that one. Talk about revisionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

smurgen wrote: »

FG are in full 'narrative building' mode after licking their wounds from the start of the year. They believe fully in the marketing principle that a lie repeated often enough eventually becomes the truth. I don't think they should be let away with stuff like this and well-done to Howlin for setting them straight.

Yurt! wrote: »
    FG are in full 'narrative building' mode after licking their wounds from the start of the year. They believe fully in the marketing principle that a lie repeated often enough eventually becomes the truth. I don't think they should be let away with stuff like this and well-done to Howlin for setting them straight.

Poor Leo hasn't been the same since, very bitter than the people finally stood up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm sorry for you, but the history is clear. Fine Gael were finished with fascism by 1934

Thats funny blanch because here is Charlie Tan-anagans father Oliver J writing to the parish priest before the 1943 election campaign
    "Just a line letting you know we are going ahead with the election campaign in Laois-Offaly against the Jew-Masonic System which is imposed on us. The people are coming to us – but it's hard to get the people to understand how they are held down by the Jews and Masons, who control their very lives."

And then he gets alected and during his first ever speech in Dail he comes out with this
    There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.

Sounds pretty fascist to me. But lets not dwell on the past, here is a FG councillor only three months ago with his admiration of fascism and the Nazi salute
    A Fine Gael councillor has defended a late night tweet where he expressed his “love” for a picture of Blueshirts performing a Nazi-style salute. Jim O’Leary, the Fine Gael councillor for Dundrum, sent the tweet at 01.18am on Tuesday night.

He was responding to a social media user who was commenting on Mr O’Leary’s fellow party councillor’s calls for Black Lives Matter protesters to lose their €350 Covid-19 payments. The social media user posted a picture of the Blueshirts, the organisation founded in the 1930s which later became Fine Gael, performing a Nazi-style salute.

The social media user said: “These Fine Gael boys never steer from their past, you have to give them that!” In response, Mr O’Leary tweeted: “I love that picture of the men that saved free speech for us all from FF & IRA thugs. It’s one of my favourites. Thanks.”
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fine-gael-councillor-defends-tweet-where-he-expressed-love-for-nazi-style-salute-picture-39272444.html

Fascism is alive and well within Fine Gael
    #notanormalparty

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats funny blanch because here is Charlie Tan-anagans father Oliver J writing to the parish priest before the 1943 election campaign

And then he gets alected and during his first ever speech in Dail he comes out with this

Sounds pretty fascist to me. But lets not dwell on the past, here is a FG councillor only three months ago with his admiration of fascism and the Nazi salute

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fine-gael-councillor-defends-tweet-where-he-expressed-love-for-nazi-style-salute-picture-39272444.html

#notanormalparty

Will responses to this from the FG fan club be
    A. Silence
    B. But Sinn Féin

#notanormalparty
    Will responses to this from the FG fan club be
    A. Silence
    B. But Sinn Féin

Alive and well? Fringe element drunkenly posts a single tweet?

Good job you vote Green and not for the fascists FG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They were happy to have Oliver J. Flanagan an openly anti-semite.
    His son Charlie tried to pull a state commemoration for the RIC/Tans.
    And we'd a FG councillor O'Leary openly admiring the Blueshirts and likening them to modern day Fine Gael.
    Then we'd Varadkars, Trump esque #WLM tweet about white men, mind he had his civil service being very white moment too. Depends on the day I'd imagine.
    FG are rightly castigated for who the are and their right wing **** the workers attitude.

He doubled down when they followed up with him about it.

When a FG councillor does it it's a lone wolf, (drunk?).

When some rando does it it's a SF orchestrated conspiracy (theory) :)

The Fine Gael Councillor Jim O’Leary responded to his tweet and he never said he was drunk when he posted about his love for the Nazi salute. I dont think it is fair for you to be insinuating that he was drunk when he is perfectly capable of expressing his love for the Nazi salute when sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Fine Gael Councillor Jim O’Leary responded to his tweet and he never said he was drunk when he posted about his love for the Nazi salute. I dont think it is fair for you to be insinuating that he was drunk when he is perfectly capable of expressing his love for the Nazi salute when sober.

Quite correct, Jim never once used a "I was on the sauce" excuse to excuse his apparent admiration for fascism, not even when Alan Shatter rowed in saying it should be condemned.

Instead Jim used the "sarcasm" line of defence.

https://twitter.com/jimdundrum/status/1272449051125047297?s=19

McMurphy wrote: »
    Quite correct, Jim never once used a "I was on the sauce" excuse to excuse his apparent admiration for fascism, not even when Alan Shatter rowed in saying it should be condemned.

So he did it, later doubled down and is now claiming he was joking...seems legit.

McMurphy wrote: »

Well, well, well I didnt know Alan Shatter criticised Jim and his love of Nazi salutes, especially with blanch being Shatters biggest fan, awkward :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bowie wrote: »
    So he did it, later doubled down and is now claiming he was joking...seems legit.

Yep, posted it and defended ("you guys don't understand sarcasm) posting it - and not a "I was drinking" line of excuse anywhere.

Advertisement