Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately need help to get comfortable on the bike

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As others have said you need to allow the new set up time to bed in. It seems from this thread that you have consumed to yourself with fixing the discomfort on the bike so ease off & see in 2-3 weeks.

Also I'm of the opinion that most riders carry an acceptable amount of discomfort on the bike so try find what's acceptable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dahat wrote: »
    As others have said you need to allow the new set up time to bed in. It seems from this thread that you have consumed to yourself with fixing the discomfort on the bike so ease off & see in 2-3 weeks.

Also I'm of the opinion that most riders carry an acceptable amount of discomfort on the bike so try find what's acceptable to you.
    I've never had a bike fit, I have five road bikes and just do the minimal set up (adjust the saddle by looking at it / sitting on it and getting leg length right). I was planning to do a full fit this autumn but this thread has made me think again. I've no major comfort issues at all, get minor pain in one knee after about 120km but that is about all. Worry that a fit would just make things worse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm similar, have never had any real issues with comfort, so in no rush for a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I've never had a bike fit, I have five road bikes and just do the minimal set up (adjust the saddle by looking at it / sitting on it and getting leg length right). I was planning to do a full fit this autumn but this thread has made me think again. I've no major comfort issues at all, get minor pain in one knee after about 120km but that is about all. Worry that a fit would just make things worse

Your knee issue could be cleat alignment? However if you’ve no real problems, then stay as you are mate. In my case, even though I’d had five previous bike fits, I just wasn’t enjoying cycling anymore as the aches, numbness and pains weren’t worth it. At least now, I’m making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

D13exile wrote: »
    Your knee issue could be cleat alignment? However if you’ve no real problems, then stay as you are mate. In my case, even though I’d had five previous bike fits, I just wasn’t enjoying cycling anymore as the aches, numbness and pains weren’t worth it. At least now, I’m making progress.
    Yes I do suspect it could be that although I have it with more than one pair of shoes. I just screw them on where it looks right

• Advertisement

Yes I do suspect it could be that although I have it with more than one pair of shoes. I just screw them on where it looks right

GCN have a few videos on cleat alignment if you want to take a look? Even a degree or two out of alignment and your leg is ever so slightly twisted and that'll work its way up to you knee over thousands of pedal strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

D13exile wrote: »
    Just back from another 35km spin in 62minutes

If you haven't tried it already, you'd probably get a real kick out of Time Trialing. Your local club could help you get into it.

Went out for a 50km spin today but left the phone at home so I wouldn’t do my usual and end up racing myself. Took it fairly easy for the first 10-15kms and sauntered up a few hills without bother while remaining seated. On the way home, that cramp reared it’s head but wasn’t too bad. With the wind now at my back and a long straight road ahead, I put the head down and started hammering away, even though the intention was to keep it under 25kph. Well I didn’t because I felt good, the new saddle is fast becoming my best friend and well, I just love that feeling of flying over the road. No idea what distance, time or speed I was doing but apart from it feeling quite liberating not timing myself, I felt better on the bike than, well ever I think. Don’t want to tempt fate but I think it’s all starting to click into place. Only took 6 years!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MangleBadger

I recently had to cancel my bike fit with your original fitter. He was referred to me by my physio. Now you are giving me 2nd thoughts on if I should look elsewhere.
    Definitely need to sort out my setup. Constantly get saddle sores and feel like I’m slipping off the front of my seat.
    I’d been waiting 2 months at least for the slot and had been loathe to change anything on my setup until then.
    Might play around now myself and see if I can make it a bit more pleasant.

Advertisement