Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour has issue with boundary wall I built

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

And what’s the problem with that? If the wall is legal then that’s the only concern. You don’t need to be best mates with your neighbours.

It makes for peaceful living if you are at least on friendly terms though, especially if you think you will be applying for planning at any stage in the future. That is usually when poor relations get rewarded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kravmaga wrote: »
    @OP, the pillars should have been on your side of the wall, your builder should have know this .

Why did you not knock into your next door neighbour to tell him you intended to build a walk.

Now you have a possible neighbour dispute.

There’s nothing that states the pillars have to be on the OP side.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,899 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Dav010 wrote: »
    It makes for peaceful living if you are at least on friendly terms though, especially if you think you will be applying for planning at any stage in the future. That is usually when poor relations get rewarded.

You are validating his behaviour again. Anyone reading these threads would think this is how you get your way if a neighbour does something you don't like.

You cannot object to plans just because you have the hump on. Objections have to be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Panrich

Gumbo wrote: »

No but added to the lack of communication it is another two fingered salute that will serve as a constant reminder to his neighbour every time he looks at it.

You cannot object to plans just because you have the hump on. Objections have to be valid.

The neighbour contends that he has a valid reason to object. By the op’s own admission, be built the wall before getting an opinion on where the boundary line is. Unless I missed it, the op has not said the neighbour has threatened him, hammering away on what he feels is his property.

There seems only one way that this will be sorted, both go to court, something that was entirely avoidable with a bit of common sense and courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,899 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The neighbour contends that he has a valid reason to object. By the op’s own admission, be built the wall before getting an opinion on where the boundary line is. Unless I missed it, the op has not said the neighbour has threatened him, hammering away on what he feels is his property.

There seems only one way that this will be sorted, both go to court, something that was entirely avoidable with a bit of common sense and courtesy.

Let the neighbour put the hammer away and go and get his own legal opinion and take from there. Having angry strops with a hammer is not to be tolerated or given in to.

Gumbo wrote: »

You don’t feel the op should have considered making the wall look aesthetically acceptable for the party on the other side?

I just had a read back through this thread, it started a month ago, apparently there was a wood fence there originally, I wonder what happened it, did the op take it away without permission or build on his side leaving the wood fence as the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its a wall, if the neighbour wants they can erect a wooden fence or hedge if they don't like the wall or build their own on their side, they have gained space since the op has built on his own property.

I actually can't understand the comments or how it's even gone this long in discussions.

I'm building a wall and it's my right to do so and I couldn't give a rats a#s who is upset over it if any.

The op is dealing with a bully and a thick.

Let the neighbour put the hammer away and go and get his own legal opinion and take from there. Having angry strops with a hammer is not to be tolerated or given in to.

Some would argue a neighbour building 198cm high wall on your land without permission should not be tolerated either.

I do agree with you though, both should lawyer up for an expensive and possibly lengthy legal dispute. It will be settled then once and for all.

Some would argue a neighbour building 198cm high wall on your land without permission should not be tolerated either.

I do agree with you though, both should lawyer up for an expensive and possibly lengthy legal dispute. It will be settled then once and for all.

But it's on op own land

• Advertisement

Its a wall, if the neighbour wants they can erect a wooden fence or hedge if they don't like the wall or build their own on their side, they have gained space since the op has built on his own property.

I actually can't understand the comments or how it's even gone this long in discussions.

I'm building a wall and it's my right to do so and I couldn't give a rats a#s who is upset over it if any.

There was a fence there dividing the two properties, I had to read back to find mention of it.

This has put a smile in my face this morning, you probably don’t see the irony.

But it's on op own land

The neighbour says otherwise, that is typical of boundary disputes and why negotiation to begin with before building would have been advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You understand he lives next door? Not sure how he could be around less.

I suspect the op is already considering how much worse this could get, it has already reached the hammer stage. If the wall is found to be on the neighbours side, he is chipping away with a hammer on his property.

The weather will deter him? As will ignoring him.

The less the OP reacts overtly? And as I said, keep a note of all the neighbour does? It has been established that the wall is on the OPs land?
    So he cannot legally damage?

OP one thing; have a word with Citizen's Information? They are very clued up with these disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've heard before that after a number of years the wall, even if on your side, becomes the boundary. By leaving a little bit of land on their side of the wall you are giving it to them.

The pillars would annoy me, always a pain to cut around. But if it's on your side then tough for them.

Graces7 wrote: »
    The weather will deter him? As will ignoring him.

The less the OP reacts overtly? And as I said, keep a note of all the neighbour does? It has been established that the wall is on the OPs land?
    So he cannot legally damage?

OP one thing; have a word with Citizen's Information? They are very clued up with these disputes.

You think he will only be upset when it isn’t cold? The op got an opinion on where the boundary is, it has yet to be established.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

OP a spoofer of the highest order.

Didn't get a surveyor but then did. Claimed he showed neighbour proof was entirely on his property but when challenged on this, doesn't mention the survey he supposedly had done but rather some photos of some metal poles. Neighbour is out hitting the wall with a hammer and holding the hammer up so the OP can catch it all on CCTV.

Utter nonsense.

There was a fence there dividing the two properties, I had to read back to find mention of it.

This has put a smile in my face this morning, you probably don’t see the irony.

See this is it, my property and I'll do as I please once inside the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Except that the poster has been posting for years, I would have said this was a total wind-up.

Seems the poster recently bought the house and has put two fingers to the neighbours (who may have been there for years) and has built a 2m concrete wall where it transpires a fence had been previously.

1 - Did the op not think for one minute, "hey, I'll pop into my neighbour and let them know what I'm planning"

2 - Did the neighbour not look at the wall being prepared and say something themselves before it was built - Or was it built when neighbour was not there.?

Did the op not think that the neighbour may have liked to be consulted as a 2m brick wall, whilst not requiring planning, does affect the neighbour.

Sorry OP, but your belligerence has got you into this hole and frankly I think its up to you to make amends.

Seems this is an old house in a mature area. Neighbour may be there 30+ years and this "upstart" moves in on top of him and within a few months builds a 2m wall.

OP - You've posted the dos and don't for a first time buyer thread - here's something to take from this. Do get on with your neighbour, don't run a steam roller through things.

Remember, a neighbour can come in very handy sometimes as you may find out down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

silver2020 wrote: »
    Except that the poster has been posting for years, I would have said this was a total wind-up.

Seems the poster recently bought the house and has put two fingers to the neighbours (who may have been there for years) and has built a 2m concrete wall where it transpires a fence had been previously.

1 - Did the op not think for one minute, "hey, I'll pop into my neighbour and let them know what I'm planning"

2 - Did the neighbour not look at the wall being prepared and say something themselves before it was built - Or was it built when neighbour was not there.?

Did the op not think that the neighbour may have liked to be consulted as a 2m brick wall, whilst not requiring planning, does affect the neighbour.

Sorry OP, but your belligerence has got you into this hole and frankly I think its up to you to make amends.

This. I would have thought this was a wind-up also but this actually seems genuine. People like the OP actually exist. There is a streak of a bully in these actions.

If I was the neighbour or a person closely related to the neighbour, I would be inclined to take matters into my own hands.

IMO the OP has a small window to resolve this. The only solution is to knock the wall. Ask forgiveness and agree a new wall with the neighbour before proceeding. Anything less will lead to decades of issues.

As for those who say "I don't need to be best friends with my neighbours". Good luck to you also. Part of life is community. The OP is obviously new to living here. These actions will spread and there is a chance he will have problems in the wider community depending on relationships etc.

IMO he deserves everything he gets from this point forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

You don’t feel the op should have considered making the wall look aesthetically acceptable for the party on the other side?

I just had a read back through this thread, it started a month ago, apparently there was a wood fence there originally, I wonder what happened it, did the op take it away without permission or build on his side leaving the wood fence as the boundary.

It was a makeshift wooden wall made from plywood probably for during the sale of the property.

Shortly after I moved in it blown down.

• Advertisement

Didn't get a surveyor but then did. Claimed he showed neighbour proof was entirely on his property but when challenged on this, doesn't mention the survey he supposedly had done but rather some photos of some metal poles. Neighbour is out hitting the wall with a hammer and holding the hammer up so the OP can catch it all on CCTV.

Utter nonsense.

The survey letter was being finalised and being sent Monday to the neighbour.

Neighbour has not noticed the CCTV can I don’t think if he did I think his actions would be different or be more careful.

Can you clarify spoofer please?

This. I would have thought this was a wind-up also but this actually seems genuine. People like the OP actually exist. There is a streak of a bully in these actions.

If I was the neighbour or a person closely related to the neighbour, I would be inclined to take matters into my own hands.

IMO the OP has a small window to resolve this. The only solution is to knock the wall. Ask forgiveness and agree a new wall with the neighbour before proceeding. Anything less will lead to decades of issues.

As for those who say "I don't need to be best friends with my neighbours". Good luck to you also. Part of life is community. The OP is obviously new to living here. These actions will spread and there is a chance he will have problems in the wider community depending on relationships etc.

Okay say I knock the wall and then what happens? I rebuild it in the same place? Or have no wall now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They come back to him and say they don't want a wall. What next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

So many Captain Hindsights on here its embarrassing.
    And too many people antagonising the OP.
    To what end?
    Just to upset him?

Dolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Burning bag of dudu on his doorstep then “ding dong”. Seriously though, if you turn up with an apple tart or a bottle of wine you might be able to break the ice and have a reasonable chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    So many Captain Hindsights on here its embarrassing.
    And too many people antagonising the OP.
    To what end?
    Just to upset him?

Dolts.

Why did he post if not for advice and opinions? To have his actions validated?

People are proposing he should’ve communicated better but that it’s not too late to start now. Hindsight is the result of experience. This isn’t an original or unique situation. What you call “hindsight” is actually really common knowledge in these kind of boundary disputes.

stevek93 wrote: »
    It was a makeshift wooden wall made from plywood probably for during the sale of the property.

Shortly after I moved in it blown down.

Presumably put up after discussion with the neighbour, did you take that fence away, or did you upright it and build inside it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Utter nonsense.

You beat me too it.

I am astonished he has been fed for so many pages, remarkably subtle.

I am taking notes.

Presumably put up after discussion with the neighbour, did you take that fence away, or did you upright it and build inside it?

The wooden plywood makeshift wall was erected by the previous owner of my property.

• Advertisement

I think at this point it’s time for me to wrap things up with this thread.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement