Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour has issue with boundary wall I built

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The op is dealing with people that wanted both gardens open as they can feel like they own it all, it's probably a Micky measuring contest with family or if they have friends.... People are nuts.

Op cut all contact, if they damage the wall then call the Gardai and then it's court if they keep at it....

And if the neighbour is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dav010 wrote: »
    And if the neighbour is correct?

What he owns both gardens?

This is nuts op.... Seriously cut all contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

You didn't say in any of your previous posts that you showed that evidence to the neighbour. All you said was that you had a surveyor out and you have proof that the wall is entirely on your property.

People posting here can only go on what you post.

No sorry I didn’t evidence has been shown to the neighbour today.

What he owns both gardens?

This is nuts op.... Seriously cut all contact.

No, that the wall is actually on the neighbour’s property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It's almost that alot of people this would of been solved by talking to the neighbour first.

What happens if the neighbour said no when they spoke to them? What happens then? Next they will be asking for you not to use your garden and the soft ****es here would stay indoors.

Who the hell wouldn't want a boundry wall or fence to keep the gardens apart?

Are ye all sharing gardens or somthing?

OP Its your garden & your land I'd build a wall on my land too to keep the neighbours out. I'd be planting a hedge too.

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    No sorry I didn’t evidence has been shown to the neighbour today.

And?

The op is dealing with people that wanted both gardens open as they can feel like they own it all, it's probably a Micky measuring contest with family or if they have friends.... People are nuts.

Op cut all contact, if they damage the wall then call the Gardai and then it's court if they keep at it....

Yes I don’t understand why there was no wall built by the previous owner.

afatbollix wrote: »
    It's almost that alot of people this would of been solved by talking to the neighbour first.

What happens if the neighbour said no when they spoke to them? What happens then? Next they will be asking for you not to use your garden and the soft ****es here would stay indoors.

Who the hell wouldn't want a boundry wall or fence to keep the gardens apart?

Are ye all sharing gardens or somthing?

OP Its your garden & your land I'd build a wall on my land too to keep the neighbours out. I'd be planting a hedge too.

Maybe it would have been wise to agree where the boundary is before building, no reason for conflict then.

And?

I showed him the original metal boundary post in a photo I took. It shows the foundation that has been poured for the wall and the metal boundary post is in his garden after the foundation. Am I making sense?

Neighbour believes the metal boundary post has moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Jaysus, it's just a bloody wall!!!
    OP, you did nothing wrong. You just have a knobhead neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

if you built any part of the wall on their side , legally you are f*cked
    its up to you how you now manage the issue .

it could go down many wierd rabbit hole , including trauma , intimidation , bullying
    if they get a good council and go legal .

i would not advise taking this lightly - never mind the ' ah f*ck em ' comments you are getting here .

you fu*cked up .

radiata wrote: »

I am trying to stop him knocking it down. :rolleyes:

radiata wrote: »

The neighbour believes he has, it is a 6”7 wall, and there seems to be enough of that to go around when neighbours fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

I showed him the original metal boundary post in a photo I took. It shows the foundation that has been poured for the wall and the metal boundary post is in his garden after the foundation. Am I making sense?

Neighbour believes the metal boundary post has moved.

if your pillars are in line with the boundary post ( and the main wall set back into your garden ) you are ok .

if the wall is on the metal boundary line , and the pillars beyond this into the neighbours , then you have a problem

i really cannot believe you did this without talking to them first , its just insane .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s not a dividing wall if it’s completely on the op property.

Read the thread title, slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

if your pillars are in line with the boundary post ( and the main wall set back into your garden ) you are ok .

if the wall is on the metal boundary line , and the pillars beyond this into the neighbours , then you have a problem

i really cannot believe you did this without talking to them first , its just insane .

Insane!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Let me get this straight.....You built a wall without consulting your neighbour. You turned the pillars towards him because you didn't want to have to mow around them, plus his garden is a kip anyways.
    Subsequently (3 months later) a QS told you the wall is on your side of the garden fully.
    You have proven this by pointing to a moveable metal post?

And now you can't see why your neighbour has a problem with all of this?

You sir, are a neighbour from hell.

The only resolution is to knock and rebuild. But you won't do this given your dismissive tone. Good luck with decades of neighbour problems and the ongoing stress you have brought into your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above I wouldnt be so pushed with knock the wall though.

But your suprise at the turn of events is hilarious. I assumed it was a parody thread at the start.

You didn't bother checking property lines.

You didn't bother knocking in for a chat.

You didn't bother thinking if you put pillars their entire length the may not like it.

And now your smug after getting the lines checked a month later that you were well within your rights on the wall you didn't in a good will method give that information into the owner.

And you are surprised you've burnt bridges.... Perplexing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP, the pillars should have been on your side of the wall, your builder should have know this .

Why did you not knock into your next door neighbour to tell him you intended to build a walk.

Now you have a possible neighbour dispute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Chiparus wrote: »
    Dont know, why did he not talk to the neighbour before he built the wall?
    Is the wall affecting his neighbours view? or his natural light?
    Did he have planning permission for the wall?
    From this weeks irish times:

However, in any boundary-related issue, it is advisable to maintain good relationships with neighbours if at all possible. Try to find some compromise and not let the issue escalate to a dispute, as disputes have lasting unpleasant consequences.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/our-neighbour-says-he-has-permission-to-build-on-our-boundary-wall-can-he-1.4358458

You don’t need planning permission for a wall less than 2m high to the rear. And planning doesn’t determine boundary lines. That’s a civil matter.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Read the thread title, slowly

No need to. All we have here is the OP’s statement that the wall is entirely on his land. If that’s true then it’s not a dividing or boundary wall.

Now chip away at that reply slowly.

• Advertisement

kravmaga wrote: »
    @OP, the pillars should have been on your side of the wall, your builder should have know this .

Why did you not knock into your next door neighbour to tell him you intended to build a walk.

Could have used 215 on the flat or cavity blocks too and then no pillars required. Would have removed the unsightly pillars.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Wouldnt the OP's builder have had to dig up some of the neighbours garden anyway for the foundation for this wall, was this all made good on the neighbours side?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; let time pass? keep a record of any aggression etc but say and do nothing. Else he will escalate this. If he had had any real issues etc, he would have taken it to legal action way back and maybe he has tried and been told he has no case?

Winter is coming and he will be around less.

We had a situation like this when we were renting at one place. Crazy old neighbour who made life hell in whatever way he could to a dangerous degree. Emerged he had at one stage a right of way through the gardens that had long elapsed and had been told that by his solicitor.

Just wait and watch ? Keep records and call the Gardaí if damage occurs .

Good luck, it is a horrible situation.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You don’t need planning permission for a wall less than 2m high to the rear. And planning doesn’t determine boundary lines. That’s a civil matter.

No need to. All we have here is the OP’s statement that the wall is entirely on his land. If that’s true then it’s not a dividing or boundary wall.

Now chip away at that reply slowly.

We also have the ops statement that the neighbour has a contradictory opinion on the exact location of the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭jackboy

Surely the wall can be levelled out between the pillars by facing with stone or brick or some other way.

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP; let time pass? keep a record of any aggression etc but say and do nothing. Else he will escalate this. If he had had any real issues etc, he would have taken it to legal action way back and maybe he has tried and been told he has no case?

Winter is coming and he will be around less.

We had a situation like this when we were renting at one place. Crazy old neighbour who made life hell in whatever way he could to a dangerous degree. Emerged he had at one stage a right of way through the gardens that had long elapsed and had been told that by his solicitor.

Just wait and watch ? Keep records and call the Gardaí if damage occurs .

Good luck, it is a horrible situation.

You understand he lives next door? Not sure how he could be around less.

I suspect the op is already considering how much worse this could get, it has already reached the hammer stage. If the wall is found to be on the neighbours side, he is chipping away with a hammer on his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Panrich

jackboy wrote: »
    Surely the wall can be levelled out between the pillars by facing with stone or brick or some other way.

And the good news for this solution is that it would necessitate the op knocking on his neighbours door in advance this time in order to gain access.

We also have the ops statement that the neighbour has a contradictory opinion on the exact location of the boundary.

Of course.
    So let’s see how that pans out.

I totally agree that if the OP. Hilt on the boundary line then mutual agreement should have been sought.

kravmaga wrote: »

And what’s the problem with that? If the wall is legal then that’s the only concern. You don’t need to be best mates with your neighbours.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »

Op doesn’t feel the wall needs to look good on the neighbours side.
    Seems unreasonable for the non paying neighbour to have the nice side of the wall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement