Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour has issue with boundary wall I built

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Insidious wrote: »
    But if you built any of your wall on someone else's land then you are in the wrong. If it happened to me and you did it without discussion I would demand you knock it down and build it on your own land.

Exactly, it potentially devalues neighbours house as it couldn't be sold while disputed issue remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Water John wrote: »
    No, you have to ask him/her. BTW if you do it, technically you must offer them the cuttings.
    If your wall is on your land and is not too high, neighbour should be largely happy you built it.

I thought once the growth is encroaching over your boundary you can chop away and their the cuttings back over!... Not that I would do such a thing..... In the daytime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Exactly, it potentially devalues neighbours house as it couldn't be sold while disputed issue remains.

Yes that is true but also if I knock it and there is a there is nothing and he tries to sell it would also devalue the neighbours house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

stevek93 wrote: »
    It is built within the boundary, but at the end of the day there needs to be a wall there if it is 1cm on the neighbours side does it really matter, if there is no wall there how could you keep a dog in the garden for example :confused: or each neighbour builds a wall on their own land and with space in the middle? Sounds rather silly.

Why does there "need" to be a wall there. Why not a fence. Or a hedge? The neighbour and previous owner obviously didn't see a need a wall was required so it must be "needed" because YOU decided it was needed and nothing else? So deep down you think your opinion matters more than that of your neighbours. You didn't even have enough respect for them to bother asking what they wanted. That's not the sort of attitude that is going to win you any friends among your neighbours.

touts wrote: »
    Why does there "need" to be a wall there. Why not a fence. Or a hedge? The neighbour and previous owner obviously didn't see a need a wall was required so it must be "needed" because YOU decided it was needed and nothing else? So deep down you think your opinion matters more than that of your neighbours. You didn't even have enough respect for them to bother asking what they wanted. That's not the sort of attitude that is going to win you any friends among your neighbours.

How is a fence or a hedge in any way different to a wall? There's no maintenance with a wall and a gust of wind won't have you running around fixing it all the time.

Plus OP already mentioned possibly having a dog. Doubt the neighbour would be keen on a dog ****ing in their garden for 5 years while they wait for a hedge to grow.

Anyway,

OP, my advice is to pop into the neighbour with a box of chocolate and a bottle of whiskey or wine or whatever they might be into. Chances are you ruined a good nights sleep with your bag, and that set them off, and any issue they may have had, came up as a big issue when they were having a row with you.

People get (understandably) annoyed when some randomer shows up and starts changing things without telling them. Building a wall is a good idea, and the neighbour would likely agree to it, but it's still a courtesy to call in and say hello and tell them the plan.

As for pillars, they're a minor intrusion if they are on the other persons land, but i can honestly say, in real life, I've never heard of anyone arguing over which side the pillars should/shouldn't be on. Other than the person building the wall, i dont think anyone cares about, or notices, pillars.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »

Well if I park my bicycle in my garden and there is no wall the neighbour can walk on in and steal my bike can’t he or steal other stuff?

If the neighbour gets a dog it is going to be coming into my garden if I get a dog the dog will be able to go into the neighbours garden you get my point?

Every house has a wall between back garden seriously come on now.

There was a wooden fence that blew down after I moved in so I replaced it with a more permanent brick wall in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It is built within the boundary,
    Are you sure about that because your neighbour seems to think otherwise? Are you just assuming, or guesstimating? If I were him I wouldn't be taking your word for it as your approach wasn't neighbourly from his pov.

[ quote="stevek93;114250078']
    but at the end of the day there needs to be a wall there if it is 1cm on the neighbours side does it really matter, if there is no wall there how could you keep a dog in the garden for example :confused: or each neighbour builds a wall on their own land and with space in the middle? Sounds rather silly.[/quote]

You're missing the point entirely. The rough rule for developers is stay on your own land if you're not gonna bother engaging with the person on the other side. In fairness it's some liberty to assume otherwise.

You gotta admit here the wall isn't the problem your approach is the problem. The other points you're making are moot.

How is a fence or a hedge in any way different to a wall? There's no maintenance with a wall and a gust of wind won't have you running around fixing it all the time.

Plus OP already mentioned possibly having a dog. Doubt the neighbour would be keen on a dog ****ing in their garden for 5 years while they wait for a hedge to grow.

Anyway,

OP, my advice is to pop into the neighbour with a box of chocolate and a bottle of whiskey or wine or whatever they might be into. Chances are you ruined a good nights sleep with your bag, and that set them off, and any issue they may have had, came up as a big issue when they were having a row with you.

People get (understandably) annoyed when some randomer shows up and starts changing things without telling them. Building a wall is a good idea, and the neighbour would likely agree to it, but it's still a courtesy to call in and say hello and tell them the plan.

As for pillars, they're a minor intrusion if they are on the other persons land, but i can honestly say, in real life, I've never heard of anyone arguing over which side the pillars should/shouldn't be on. Other than the person building the wall, i dont think anyone cares about, or notices, pillars.

Thank you, out of everyone your post has made the most sense and has a remedy to the situation everyone is else seems to be going of on one. I’ll pop in tomorrow and make a mends.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Are you sure about that because your neighbour seems to think otherwise? Are you just assuming, or guesstimating? If I were him I wouldn't be taking your word for it as your approach wasn't neighbourly from his pov.

[ quote="stevek93;114250078']
    but at the end of the day there needs to be a wall there if it is 1cm on the neighbours side does it really matter, if there is no wall there how could you keep a dog in the garden for example :confused: or each neighbour builds a wall on their own land and with space in the middle? Sounds rather silly.

Yes I am sure how I know is when these houses were built in the 50s there was a metal fence built between the gardens about the height of your knee. The two posts of that metal fence is still there either end of the garden and the wall is built in that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ask your solicitor for the map of the property you bought, it has a scale which outlines your property.

If you plan to live there for a long time, it helps to get on with neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

By day I punish people at night I'm the bush man.... I cut bushes that are a sight for sore eyes...,

No more bushes

By day I punish people at night I'm the bush man.... I cut bushes that are a sight for sore eyes...,

No more bushes

You sound like my neighbour.

You sound like my neighbour.

I like a Brazilian

I'd say he neighbour has been so use to looking out and probably thinking isn't this marvelous, my garden is huge, he got a wake up call... Ohcrap it ain't .one....

I'd love a wall

I'd say he neighbour has been so use to looking out and probably thinking isn't this marvelous, my garden is huge, he got a wake up call... Ohcrap it ain't .one....

I'd love a wall

Funny you say that but at the of his garden is like a jungle it is all over grown so he doesn’t even use the space where the wall is it was eye sore to look at before the wall was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Every time you come up with a reason you are in the right (loads of them are valid) you are moving further away from resolving it. If you have encroached on his side, he has the right to have you demolish the wall. Biggest reason being if he goes to sell and purchaser raises the boundary.

It is strange that he waited until it was completed before the complaint. Things like a noisy bag are him obviously getting more annoyed at the situation. You have to live beside him and nothing worse than tension between neighbours. Have a look at neighbours from hell series as how it can go so badly.

Invite him over, open a beer or wine or whatever and try and resolve it. I hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The point about the metal fence marking posts is interesting.
    If you had kept all parts of the new wall your side of the centre of the marker posts, you could tell neighbour to whistle as you built the wall on your property and he can do as he wishes to his rear boundary.
    If its as it sounds and you have built the wall on the boundary, well then, he should have been consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To cut to the chase, you made a mistake, level the wall, start again, lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If its on his land he could take a sledge hammer to your wall even if just one part of it is over the boundary. It's would be his land so he can do what he likes there.
    You should have got a surveyor to make sure it was built in the right place.
    How would you feel if a neighbour took your land. You have made an enemy of your neighbour already.

To cut to the chase, you made a mistake, level the wall, start again, lesson learned.

Are you the fella that built the wall, trying to drum up more work? :confused:

If its on his land he could take a sledge hammer to your wall even if just one part of it is over the boundary. It's would be his land so he can do what he likes there.

Handy to know for next time someone else parks their car in my driveway.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Handy to know for next time someone else parks their car in my driveway.

:rolleyes:

Yeah because a wall is as easily moved as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Yes I am sure how I know is when these houses were built in the 50s there was a metal fence built between the gardens about the height of your knee. The two posts of that metal fence is still there either end of the garden and the wall is built in that space.

But is the centre of the main part of the wall in the middle of the 2 pillars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If it came to that I'd cut out the pillars first, it's unlikely to fall and're no worse off if it does

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Also nonsense

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Yeah because a wall is as easily moved as a car.

No.. He said it's on my property, therefore I can do what I want with it.

Was it the truth, or talking nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OP you have obliviously wandered into a very contentious issue.

You state you have the maps but do not understand them.

Simply put if any of this wall is on his land he can make an issue if it anytime.

You need to get in good terms. Start by taking down the bag. Birds have very little effect in seeds and actually protect them from other problems.... insects, slugs etc.

Now get your neighbour an apology present and go around and apologise.

Find if this can be settled amicably.

You want a wall. He may or may not.

If he does not, you will need a survey to prove it's on your land entirely. And be prepared to have solicitors letters and even court to keep.
    (Unfortunately even with a survey you may still have a legal row as our boundary maps explicitly stated in them that they are not to be used to form absolute boundaries - ridiculous but true. Very worst case scenario, a survey should sort)

If not altogether on your land and he definitely does not want it, you must remove, you have stolen want he owns.

Personally I cannot believe the attitude of those above acting as if the neighbour got a free wall. What good is a free wall if you don't want a wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

No.. He said it's on my property, therefore I can do what I want with it.

Was it the truth, or talking nonsense?

No, you conflating the two was nonsense. If it's on my property and it's easy to move then there are plenty of options to take before destroying / damaging it. If you wouldn't move it then I'd take measures to move it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi OP,

It sounds like the neighbour has an issue with the lack of consultation about the wall and will not request you take it down. That being said I think you should try to improve relations with your neighbour.. perhaps offer to have the wall rendered or dashed his side?

what size is the wall and how much did it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,003 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You legally don't need his permission to build the boundary wall.... But it would have been the neighbourly thing to do to communicate with him and tell him what you were planning on doing.

If you only built the pillars on his side then that's an extremely sh!tty thing to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement