Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ShaneU's Walrus - The Reveal (Mod: no quoting videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In 20th place with 2 points is
    Necro
    Johnny Cash – A Boy Named Sue

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? Yes

I do like Johnny Cash but a live comedy song wasn’t really what I was looking for here. The light percussion just about makes it a half decent song to drive to.

In 2nd place with 20 points is
    Kolido
    Queen – Don’t Stop Me Now

I'm a racing car, passing by like Lady Godiva
    I'm gonna go, go, go
    There's no stopping meeeee!

Do I even need to write anything here? :D Probably the most energetic song ever. Absolutely love the piano of course ;) Guitar solo/piano combo at 2:18 is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Runnin' Down A Dream was my second choice, probably should've gone for it, but more often than not I favour the one that the host is less likely to know.

Yeah normally do similar, but felt this was a category where would be hard to get near the top with a lesser known song. Like, you came 6th with the other Shires song you submitted, and 14th with one he preferred more.

I was contemplating Kashmir too as I love blasting this out very loudly when on the motorway :D

In 21st place with 1 point is
    Gru
    Kongos – Come With Me Now

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No

I like the chorus as it’s very catchy but not the rest of the song. The guitar that comes in at 2:15 is just plain bad and then it’s followed by what sounds like an accordion??? Then that’s followed by an angry shouting section which I didn’t like either.

In 1st place with 21 points is
    fixXxer
    Deep Purple – Highway Star

"Nobody gonna beat my car
    It's gonna break the speed of sound"

Holy shít this song is like a shot of pure adrenaline, inject this into my veins! :D It starts off fast and never lets off the pedal! The keyboard and guitar solos are incredible. Very unsafe for me to listen to this while driving as I’d likely cause an accident!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

osh wrote: »
    Yeah normally do similar, but felt this was a category where would be hard to get near the top with a lesser known song. Like, you came 6th with the other Shires song you submitted, and 14th with one he preferred more.

I was contemplating Kashmir too as I love blasting this out very loudly when on the motorway :D

Well to be fair, the other time was in my Surlaw and it was up against 19 other songs I had chosen, so it's comparing chalk and cheese really.

For the most part (based on tournaments and Walruses) I don't think myself and Shane are necessarily in sync when it comes to music, which isn't to say we don't occasionally align in our interests of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

That is a serious playlist!

That is a serious playlist!

I know right? You guys did really well on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Ah right, presumed it was in this walrus

• Advertisement

And now what you've all been waiting for :D

Name Making an Entrance Piano Perfection Driving Miss Walrus Disco Fever True Colours Hindsight is 2020 Total
    The Purple Tin 21 3 17 41
    Mustang Shelly 20 15 19 54
    Necro 19 21 2 42
    Sawduck 18 13 11 42
    Homer J. Fong 17 18 16 51
    Osh 17 16 18 51
    JP Liz V1 15 17 15 47
    Beakerjoe 14 4 9 27
    RasTa 13 12 13 38
    Irish Aris 12 2 3 17
    Kolido 11 14 20 45
    LeVar 10 5 8 23
    Gru 9 10 1 20
    Deja Boo 8 11 12 31
    Green&Red 7 6 7 20
    y0ssarian22 6 1 10 17
    FixXxer 5 7 21 33
    JohnGreenFan 4 8 6 18
    S1Ippy 3 19 4 26
    Pretzill 2 9 14 25
    CJ Maxx 1 20 5 26

Mustang Shelly holds a three point lead at the halfway point but it could go anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

ShaneU wrote: »
    Mustang Shelly holds a three point lead at the halfway point but it could go anywhere really.

I think we should just end this walrus right here right now :p It's only going to go down hill from here on in, I've looked at the list of songs yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Gru

I like the chorus as it’s very catchy but not the rest of the song. The guitar that comes in at 2:15 is just plain bad and then it’s followed by what sounds like an accordion??? Then that’s followed by an angry shouting section which I didn’t like either.

i first heard it in The Grand Tour's season 1 ads and always associated it with driving, i could have had The chain by Fleetwood Mac... no regrets with my choice though i stand by my song :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some class rock numbers there. The 70s was the primo decade for good driving songs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What a great round, some epic top tunes, I wish The Shires got more love, they should be bigger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What a great round, some epic top tunes, I wish The Shires got more love, they should be bigger

They finished right behind Black Betty! It was a tough round.

Next round will be Thursday. Can't wait, I love Disco!

They're doing pretty well for themselves in fairness. Quite well known just across the pond anyway.

The Shires do actually have a song called Drive which I was going to enter for this one at one stage, but Echo is one of my favourites of theirs and also has a bit more umph to it, so switched to that somewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They're doing pretty well for themselves in fairness. Quite well known just across the pond anyway.

Any US success, Nashville etc., ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

:D

• Advertisement

Any US success, Nashville etc., ?

They probably have some sort of a following Stateside, but don't think they've been around long enough to have made much of an impact over there and their tours tend to be mostly UK based. That said they have picked up a couple of CMA's, so they're obviously on the radar of the right people over there at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

mmm, looks like I'm heading for 2 wooden spoons now - last here and last at kev's. Oh well. . .
    Though I think I have a better chance in the disco category.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Irish Aris wrote: »
    mmm, looks like I'm heading for 2 wooden spoons now - last here and last at kev's. Oh well. . .

The anti LeVar!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    The anti LeVar!

I believe I'm definitely a contender for the wooden spoon for both Shane and Kev as well.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

In 8th place with 14 points is
    Pretzill
    Tom Robinson Band – 2-4-6-8 Motorway

A great discovery for me here, how I haven’t heard this before baffles me. Such a fun song that’s great to sing along to. The guitar solos are great too. Now I'm curious are there lots of trucking songs I've been missing out on? :eek:

Glad you liked Tom Robinson

Atmospherics Listen to the radio is an all time favourite of mine too - as well as the anthem way ahead of his time "Glad to be gay" and "War Baby"

Also happy to see I managed to scrabble up the ranking a bit :D but I keep missing the reveals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

On the driving songs: they did a study and found that people who listen to rock and metal while they drive are more likely to break the speed limit without realising it.
    People who listened to classical music were the best at keeping under the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

On the driving songs: they did a study and found that people who listen to rock and metal while they drive are more likely to break the speed limit without realising it.
    People who listened to classical music were the best at keeping under the limit.

wonder what people who listen to country are most likely to do :eek:

...name their sons, sue :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll have you know Gemma and Gill are perfectly fine boys names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The first time I ever went over 100 was to Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild. (Why I never thought of it for this round, is beyond me) it was also my first time driving the motorway so I was within the speed limit, just...it felt fast to me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Necro wrote: »
    I'll have you know Gemma and Gill are perfectly fine boys names

is that a Willie Nelson song ?

:D

Advertisement