Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Racing News/Results 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Spanish National RR is live on TV now. Only about 6 km remaining.

The Italian & French National RR are also live on TV today

I think he was getting beat there even if he hadn't lost the chain with 300m to go but cruel to see him not get a medal and walk the bike over the line.

Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana) has won the Spanish National championship.

It looked like Jesus Herrada (Cofidis) was going to win it after he attacked on the final climb with 3 km to go and built up a 15 second lead. But Sanchez hunted him down and had the stronger legs to take the win.

Cycling is cruel though. Herrada was going to take second place but he had a mechanical with less than 100 metres to go and he had to walk over the finish line. I think he finished outside the top 10 :(

Herrada was completely out of gas when Sanchez caught him so I don't think the mechanical stopped him from competing for the win. I could be wrong though.

French RR at 1.30pm and then Italian RR at 1.50pm :)

I don't see a startlist for the French race, but some years it's basically a train of 10 or more FDJ riders driving the bunch all day. I think I'll go with the Italian race today if thats the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I don't see a startlist for the French race, but some years it's basically a train of 10 or more FDJ riders driving the bunch all day. I think I'll go with the Italian race today if thats the case.
    Yeah, Demare has 16 FDJ team mates working for him today. Mad looking on screen to see so many from the same team on the front. Every French pro is entilted to ride their national champs, but I thought organisers might consider a lottery for 8 places for a team alongside a nominted team leader, if only to allow more riders from smaller French Conti teams.

I guess every rider who wants to ride is in the race and the peloton size is considered safe.

Carlton is commentating on the French race so that's made the decision for me on what race to watch.

(the Italian race obviously!)

They just pointed out Davide Rebellin there in Italy, 49 years old now and still up there.

I thought radios weren't allowed at nationals?

Cracking finish to the French race. I thought Allaphilippe was going to do it. There must have been massive pressure on Demare to win from his 16 or so domestiques :pac: It seems crazy that he hasn't been picked for TdF given his fantastic form.

• Advertisement

I thought radios weren't allowed at nationals?

Not sure to be honest. I think it would make it National Championships more exciting if they weren't allowed.

Big upset in Germany with Pascal Ackermann only getting second place given he was the big favourite and it ended in a big bunch sprint.

Marcel Meisen from Alpecin-Fenix won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Nizzolo pinched the italian champs ahead of Ballerini who looked to be celebrating victory way ahead of the line.

VDP treated the Dutch road champs like a CX race, attacking with 40 odd km to go and building his lead with every lap of a very short circuit.

Shocker Bob Jungles was second in Luxembourg? How long has it been since he wore standard kit now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Shocker Bob Jungles was second in Luxembourg? How long has it been since he wore standard kit now?

Probably suits his new team - AG2R :)

All the National Road Championships winners

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/2020-national-road-champions-index/

Belgian RR and Netherlands ITT are the only 'big' ones left.

On to the Euros then tomorrow and Wednesday. We have Ryan Mullen for the ITT and elite RR and Ben Healy for the U23 and thats it. CI aren't sending anyone who resides in Ireland to the event and it's opt in after that so with the tour coming up they must have been the only 2 available. I think Dunbar is being kept in Italy in the run up the Giro which makes sense.

More racing in France tomorrow GP de Plouay, and Bretagne Classic. Just a heads up the former is being shown from 8am before the mens race at 12:30. Looks to be more or less the same amount of coverage for both which is nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Mullen finished 8th in the TT. Not a great result, I thought it was a chance for him to do something.

He had a great year in 2017 placed 3rd in the same event and won Irish road race and TT but hasn't progressed since.

I think given the company he'd at best have expected top 5, I really don't think he's as focused on the TT game as he used to be. With Trek he seems to have slotted into a one day race man as opposed to stage racing.

I'd be interested in hearing him talk about where he's at with it or what training he's actually doing regarding TT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Mullen finished 8th in the TT. Not a great result, I thought it was a chance for him to do something.

He had a great year in 2017 placed 3rd in the same event and won Irish road race and TT but hasn't progressed since.

Was that not U23 ?

Was that not U23 ?

No it was elite level, Campenaerts won it that year. It's either a sign of how much Mullens TT has declined or Campenaerts has improved but the difference between the two that day was 4 seconds. Today it was 1:20

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/uec-road-european-championships-itt/2017/result

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I think given the company he'd at best have expected top 5, I really don't think he's as focused on the TT game as he used to be. With Trek he seems to have slotted into a one day race man as opposed to stage racing.

I'd be interested in hearing him talk about where he's at with it or what training he's actually doing regarding TT.

It would be interesting to know more about his focus at present, would seem a strange decision to move focus away from TT as he had been getting some great results at a young age. Still mid twenties you’d expect his best is yet to come.

He seems to be ride very inconsistently in ITTs, however this year he has been poor.

For the last couple of years he's still managed a few decent ITT results. In 2018 he won the ITT in Vuelta a San Juan, came 13th in a Giro ITT, and finished 6th in the European Championship ITT (the field was much stronger than this year).

In 2019 he was 4th in the European Championship ITT, 5th in the Belgium Tour ITT, and 4th in the Volta ao Algarve ITT. There were quality riders in all of those races.

In 2020, he was 101st in the (flat) Paris-Nice ITT, 31st in Volta ao Algarve ITT, and 39th in a French 2.1 ranked race. Either he's gone completely off the boil or time trials are not his priority any more.

(if those links don't work I'll be right pi**ed off :o )

Anyone watching the racing in France? It's like Brian Smith said, roads look they could be in Ireland or Scotland. Complete with grass up the middle in some places.

Men caught a break with the weather, the rain was sideways for the women this morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I see Shane Archbold isn't in the line up for the tour, sad times as I always enjoy him and Sam teamups, he is a hell of a lead out man, and probably would have many wins under his belt if he wasn't doing such epic leadouts. Is there any reason given?

Yeah shame there'll be no flying mullet at the tour. I think Sam with be in good hands with Morkov though. I guess they felt Morkov was the better option or had better form?

25 km to go in the Bretagne Classic

Easy win in the end for Michael Matthews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yeah shame there'll be no flying mullet at the tour. I think Sam with be in good hands with Morkov though. I guess they felt Morkov was the better option or had better form?

Morkov has been his lead out man all year.

Advertisement