Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Racing News/Results 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Options
  • 03-08-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Didn't see an appropriate thread for recent racing news so decided to start this.

Rims brakes finished first and second in yesterday's Strade Bianche!

Big news today is that Bernal has all but cemeted his position as Team Ineos leader for the Tour. He won the queen stage of the Route d'Occitanie in the Pyreness, while his teammate, Pavel Sivakov, came home a close second — Froome was a distant 32nd, over 5 minutes down.

I was of the opinion that Froome would go to the Tour if only for the fact that he is a four time champion, but today would make me think twice about that assumption. Sivakov looks like he could step into the role of 'third man' behind Bernal and a presumably fit and healthy Thomas. It's difficult to find a place for Froome if he doesn't shape up with a month to go.

BTW, Wiggins has had his say and thinks Thomas will win this year. He also thinks Froome can bounce back in 2021 and win a fifth Tour.

Comments

Ineos seem to have a team in place around Carapaz for the Giro including Dunbar, nothing announced for la Vuelta though so Froome or Thomas for that one maybe? I can't see Froome getting a nod for the tour but I haven't seen the stage today so no idea if it was due to poor form or if he was actively helping Bernal. Odd the lack of coverage for that race, I don't think it's been live at all with just an hours highlights in the evening.

Felt sorry for Rob Hatch and Brian Smith trying to cover the race in Italy today. Weather meant only the fixed cameras around the finish were working so they had to abandon and put the snooker on. What was shown was kind of funny though, it was bucketing down and a few lads caught sight of their team bus and climbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you're going to include results on the same day as racing, perhaps it might be an idea to have the title amended, so that it states that there are spoilers included in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you're going to include results on the same day as racing, perhaps it might be an idea to have the title amended, so that it states that there are spoilers included in the thread.
    Hadn't considered that, thanks for reminding me. Mods can change/advise if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Last 20minutes or so of yesterdays 3rd stage of Route d'Occitanie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgkGBh0R7E&app=desktop

Given his position in the train Froome was never intending to compete for the win and was working for Bernal. He pulled for c2km and then eased off. I dont think you can draw conclusions re the Tour; I still dont think they'll bring him, but hope they do !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

10 km to go in Milan-Torino.
    Sam, Ewan, Sagan, Gaviria and Demare all there

• Advertisement

Big crash with a few kilometres to go. Sam still up there

Strong finish by Demare to win.

Sam was in a good position behind Archibold with 2 km to go, but then he lost his wheel and fell back behind a lot of other riders. He had to make up a good bit of ground after the Flame Rouge and when the sprint started, Sam was in about 10th position. He decided to go for a gap on the inside near the barriers but then he got blocked by Demare's last leadout man. He had to ease up and finished way back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Shocking crash at the finish in Poland, replays do not look good but I hope everyone including riders spectators and officials are ok.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Worst crash I've seen in a long time ,fingers crossed for those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Put up the Polish race name please, for those of us with busy schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Air ambulance on the way and podium ceremony cancelled. Not good. Patrick Lafevre gone apesh!t on twitter calling for Groningen to be jailed

Haven't the will to watch it again to see how much of that was Groenewegen's fault. Horrible crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Reports from twitter suggest Jakobsen was placed in an induced coma for transport to hospital and the finish line commisaire is also in a critical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

cunavalos wrote: »
    Reports from twitter suggest Jakobsen was placed in an induced coma for transport to hospital and the finish line commisaire is also in a critical condition.
    Damn, not good news. Hope both come through this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Down hill sprints? Who needs that. They are fast enough as is.

Horrible, horrible crash :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Air ambulance on the way and podium ceremony cancelled. Not good. Patrick Lafevre gone apesh!t on twitter calling for Groningen to be jailed

Rightly so, was a criminal act, a blatent elbow that sent the poor lad through the barriers.

Disqualified and stage awarded to Jakobsen according to pro cycling stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

That was a horrible crash, as bad as I've ever seen. Fingers crossed both Jakobsen and the photographer/official make a full recovery.

UCI not happy and referring it to a disciplinary commision, Jumbo Visma saying they will handle it internally before making comment.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dylan-groenewegen-facing-disciplinary-action-after-tour-de-pologne-crash/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Horrendous crash.

I don't think a wide, downhill sprint with flimsy metal barriers is a great idea.
    Groenewegen should have held his line, completely wrong there, but the damage could have possibly been less at a slower speed.
    A timing official in a serious condition too.

I hope all make it through with no long term damage.

Update from https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/en/news/4473/fabio-jakobsen-update
    Fabio Jakobsen’s situation is serious but at the moment he is stable. Diagnostic test didn’t reveal brain or spinal injury, but because of the gravity of his multiple injuries he is still kept in a comatose condition and has to remain closely monitored in the following days at the Wojewódzki Szpital in Katowice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Great news, I know it's early days but good to hear tests didn't reveal brain or spinal injuries.

I hope the official is also going to be ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Was looking forward to watching this on Eurosport but I noticed earlier it had disappeared from the epg. After a quick search, I suspect they didn't want to show the finish and hence pulled the whole programme. Looked horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

UCI not happy and referring it to a disciplinary commision, Jumbo Visma saying they will handle it internally before making comment.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dylan-groenewegen-facing-disciplinary-action-after-tour-de-pologne-crash/

It's all bloody well for the UCI to be outraged; but their running this sh*tshow; & they're the ones who can; both fix the last km, so that sprinters & their trains are protected; & they're the ones who can bring in serious bans for those who injure other through their actions.

Talk is fu*kin cheap; show us actions !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

BBC sport website dating jakobsens in a coma and not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

neris wrote: »
    BBC sport website dating jakobsens in a coma and not looking good.

Serious but stable is the description issued by the team, saying he's in a medically induced coma. Fingers crossed for him.

The organisers also confirmed the race official suffered a head injury and is now stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Further updates here.
    Speaking to naszosie.pl on Wednesday, the Tour de Pologne race doctor described the injuries sustained as “very serious” and “life-threatening”, adding that Jakobsen had suffered “a very serious head trauma, a crushed palate and upper respiratory tract” and “lost a lot of blood,” which made intubation difficult.
    “Fabio had facial surgery during the night. His situation is stable at the moment and later today the doctors will try to wake Fabio up,” read the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Paddigol

From a non-racer's perspective, the lack of consideration shown towards elite athletes by their governing body - year after year, incident after incident - seems shocking. Groenewegen is taking a massive amount of heat on this (I can only imagine where his head is at), but the race organisers and UCI really need to take a long hard look at themselves before throwing him under the bus. Racing is inherently dangerous, that's never disputed. And you rarely hear complaints from smashed up riders who get injured in the normal course of racing (think Dan Martin in the TDF tangle with Richie Porte a few years back). But to throw extra, man-made, dangers in their way (which again as a non-racer the downhill sprint finish seems to be) is difficult to justify.

Sickening incident. Hope that Jakobsen somehow makes a miraculous recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

webpal wrote: »
    Was looking forward to watching this on Eurosport but I noticed earlier it had disappeared from the epg. After a quick search, I suspect they didn't want to show the finish and hence pulled the whole programme. Looked horrific
    GCN also didn't have it on their Race Pass section.
    Paddigol wrote: »
    And you rarely hear complaints from smashed up riders who get injured in the normal course of racing (think Dan Martin in the TDF tangle with Richie Porte a few years back). But to throw extra, man-made, dangers in their way (which again as a non-racer the downhill sprint finish seems to be) is difficult to justify.
    I think both Richie and Dan did complain about that to be fair. iirc comments like the organisers getting what they wanted.

Advertisement