Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst current comedians.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Two big 'mainstream' comedians I never understood:

Sarah Millican- dunno if it's the accent or the predictability of her routine, but it winds me up

Michael McIntyre- over exposed and needs to be centre of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

David McSavage.

Unbelievable vibe of self brilliance off of him. How he managed to wangle a couple of series of the the utter tripe that was the savage eye out of RTE is beyond me. But then again it’s not when you look at the fact that Pat Shortt remains on their payroll.

Shortt and Kenny were a well timed novelty act who had their moment in the early to mid-90s, and I wouldn’t hear a bad word said about the peak dUnbelievables stuff. Utter slapstick muck but hilarious at the time. How they’re still dragging careers out of it 20+ years later is mental

David McSavage.

Unbelievable vibe of self brilliance off of him. How he managed to wangle a couple of series of the the utter tripe that was the savage eye out of RTE is beyond me. But then again it’s not when you look at the fact that Pat Shortt remains on their payroll.

Shortt and Kenny were a well timed novelty act who had their moment in the early to mid-90s, and I wouldn’t hear a bad word said about the peak dUnbelievables stuff. Utter slapstick muck but hilarious at the time. How they’re still dragging careers out of it 20+ years later is mental

Words cannot express how much I despise McSavage as a person and as a comedian but it would be dishonest to say that certain parts of Savage Eye were not some of the best comedic sketches RTE have ever produced.

Again, I hate the man, but sadly I have to concede that there's some fleeting moments of genuinely good comedy in that show.

The fact that you go on to say that you wouldn't hear a bad word about D'unbelievables (peak or not) is testament to how warped opinions can be.

I can only assume you are from rural Ireland?

Words cannot express how much I despise McSavage as a person and as a comedian but it would be dishonest to say that certain parts of Savage Eye were not some of the best comedic sketches RTE have ever produced.

Again, I hate the man, but sadly I have to concede that there's some fleeting moments of genuinely good comedy in that show.

The fact that you go on to say that you wouldn't hear a bad word about D'unbelievables (peak or not) is testament to how warped opinions can be.

That's the thing about opinions..

For a long time I thought the beloved Tommy Tiernan was hopeless. Not because he was 'controversial' or anything (I don't offend easily) but because he was mainly ****e (although seems better in Derry Girls).

(He tried to do that Connolly style story telling someone mentioned above), but I just didn't find him funny.

I couldn't even air this opinion because I just came across as contrary for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mcsavage is brilliant, I saw him last year in the international and then read an account of it here by some woke cnt, and it was plain to see they just didn’t get it. I’m not saying he’s infallible but some modern internetters sometimes don’t understand what theyre seeing and then complain about it.

• Advertisement

David McSavage.

The savage eye is one of the best shows ever on rte

Also, a common trait in a lot of Irish standup I've seen live over the years-
    You will find it between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way in - always a good time to go for a piss or more beer- the 'English bit' where they must get a few mentions of the English in and the differences between Irish and English. Works especially well if combined with the generalised find out where the audience is from..

Anyone still doing that schtick can fu(k right off, massive turn off, almost as big as the chip on the shoulder.

I am not sure if this person is meant to funny or a comedian but one person who is brutal is Doireann Garrihy. She had a series of impersonating people on the RTE player and it was meant to be funny but it was brutal.
    She is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I watched Russell Howard for abput 10 minutes on Dave and was actually annoyed looking at him.

I know he's been mentioned a lot here but he really is chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

D'unbelievables had some excellent sketches in D'video particularly the GAA coach and also the teacher bitter at your man for goin off to America as both really capture the grim old country we were. And No Im not from rural Ireland.

As for the ejit above me trying to bring woke into things the Savage Eye was generally loved by the left and liberal

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    D'unbelievables had some excellent sketches in D'video particularly the GAA coach and also the teacher bitter at your man for goin off to America as both really capture the grim old country we were. And No Im not from rural Ireland.

As for the ejit above me trying to bring woke into things the Savage Eye was generally loved by the left and liberal

Jesus Christ man at least try and disguise yourself it’s a well known fact that people who use the term “left and liberal “ have sh1te taste in comedy

breezy1985 wrote: »

We will have to agree to differ. I've not ever seen any sketch from D'unbelievables that has even raised a smirk. I find it very niche and tailored towards "country folk" and a little alienating for people like myself who have lived the majority of my life ina metropolitan area.

McSavage is an absolute thundering vagina but he managed to hit gold once or twice on his show despite himself.

Again, this is purely my opinion.

The savage eye is one of the best shows ever on rte

Sadly probably true. But only because the other options are Mrs brown's boys and upwardly mobile.

Sadly probably true. But only because the other options are Mrs brown's boys and upwardly mobile.

The first 2 series were gold , that was the plan and then RTÉ bled a 3rd series from him and that caused a row and hence he was banished

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kenmm wrote: »

For a long time I thought the beloved Tommy Tiernan was hopeless. Not because he was 'controversial' or anything (I don't offend easily) but because he was mainly ****e (although seems better in Derry Girls).

(He tried to do that Connolly style story telling someone mentioned above), but I just didn't find him funny.

I couldn't even air this opinion because I just came across as contrary for the sake of it.

Thing that winds me up about Tommy and I’m not saying that he shouldn’t be enjoying himself onstage...but the amount of time during his show that he seems to spend in convulsions of laugher at his own material, just a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I’m an inbetweener - city people think I’m from the country and proper country people think I’m a townie!! I grew up playing GAA with green fields outside the door, but I went to a city school and wouldn’t consider myself overly country, but I got the jokes.

I acknowledge that peak or otherwise d’Unbelievables material doesn’t stand up to proper critical scrutiny, but I watched it and loved it at the time and that’s all that matters. Similarly at times I could appreciate the digs mcsavage was throwing but I rarely if ever laughed and I find the man himself to be a complete knob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I saw this Scottish guy there a few months ago. Phil Kay was hay was his name. If I remember correctly, he talked about getting drunk on the flight over and kept making weird sounds. He is considered a genius but I can honestly say he is the worst comedian I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

poisonated wrote: »
    I saw this Scottish guy there a few months ago. Phil Kay was hay was his name. If I remember correctly, he talked about getting drunk on the flight over and kept making weird sounds. He is considered a genius but I can honestly say he is the worst comedian I have ever seen.

There's a name is haven't heard in a long time. He had his own TV show in the 90s, all I can remember about it was the end credits showd him headbanging in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

FF-in-Donegal-dissatisfied-with-Micheal-Martin.jpg?resize=696%2C392&ssl=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

russell howard IS THE WORST EVER BY A MILE. NOT CLOSE. EVER EVER EVER. THE MAN IS EVEN WORSE THAN MISS IS BROWN BOYS BY A MILE MILE MILE MILE MILE. ITS CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE. BUT BUT BUT BUT. THEY ARE BOTH FUNNY HA HA HA HA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

We will have to agree to differ. I've not ever seen any sketch from D'unbelievables that has even raised a smirk. I find it very niche and tailored towards "country folk" and a little alienating for people like myself who have lived the majority of my life ina metropolitan area.

McSavage is an absolute thundering vagina but he managed to hit gold once or twice on his show despite himself.

Again, this is purely my opinion.

If by metropolitan area you mean Dublin then you may have a future in comedy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Why did you think Tommy was controversial?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There is one comedian who always boast he is fat from riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

YFlyer wrote: »
    There is one comedian who always boast he is fat from riding.

Huh?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Why did you think Tommy was controversial?

I didn't, I thought he was (is?) a pain in the arse.

I seem to remember the media/other peoples views at the time (10/15 years back) describe him as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I didn't, I thought he was (is?) a pain in the arse.

I seem to remember the media/other peoples views at the time (10/15 years back) describe home as such.

Sorry misread your post. He definitely has ingratiated himself to the majority with his chat show. Fair play to him. I’ve always liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Huh?

My thinking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Matmania wrote: »
    I know everyone has different tastes so i get that but just looking for who they think is the least funny comedian operating today. Also who gets the silver and who would get the bronze. Not looking for reasons just names. I will start.

Gold: Russell Howard
    Silver: Jason Byrne
    Bronze: Des Bishop

At the end hopefully be a consensus and we can award the medals.

Russel Howard and Jason Byrne are great, Des Bishop can stay ón your list though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I like Tommy Tiernan. Seems genuine. I loved his analogy of the Guinness brewery and Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Every time I head by there I am always looking out for the glass elevator.

latest?cb=20141213042821guinness-storehouse.jpgwwcf013.jpgembed-Guinness-brewery-St-James-gate-Dublin-horse-and-carriage-618x380.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Saw Rich Hall in Galway a number of years ago, thought he was very good

same here

Advertisement