Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

McCartyism is the living embodiment of cancel culture. That is what it is defined by: censure and threatening peoples' employment based upon objection to a certain political or social perspective. Just because it was anti-Marxist and anti-homosexual doesn't mean that it isn't the exact same MO.

It's a supreme irony to invoke the name of Senator Joseph McCarthy while in the same breath damning a nebulous bogeyman group for engaging in "cancel culture". You'd need blinkers made of steel for that.
    I am hesitant to blame Marxism, not because Marxism is good, but because it seems unfair to sully Karl Marx's name with the type of neanderthal stupidity that is displayed in woke activism.

There's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Marx involved here. It's laughable to try and jam him or his political theory into anything this American woke bollocks has to "offer".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I believe she runs the Black Studies course in UCD which is politically incorrect, it should have been called the Person of Colour Studies course.

Shes an absolute dose.

I don't know her from Adam, but that Twitter feed is a load of baloney. Although, no surprises there I suppose. Is there anyone on that platform that doesn't end up sounding like a complete arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

"DR" ebon joesph is on the case, you can't have a debate with her, she's always right and your always a racist, down the rabbit hole we go, what else can be striped of the auld irish ways, buildings, life, I suppose it's multiculturalism at its best, the paddy's days are up welcome to the life of the plastic paddy

Ebun is the Irish woman's name.

She is constantly talking about "we irish", "our country".

I could go and live in Japan, even if I lived there for the rest of my life I would never be Japanese.

That's just the way it is.

She's here now and won't be going anywhere until a UK or US university discovers her talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

KevRossi wrote: »
    Yeah, but she'd rather not mention the war. She's also from Benin City, interesting place with an amazing history, but also one of the centres of the slave trade. Her family is part of the more priviliged higher civil service sector in Nigeria, the fact that she went to Uni in the 1980's puts her in the more 'priviliged' part of society there.

She's also never explained to my knowledge what she fled from in Nigeria and why she choose Ireland rather than the UK/USA/Canada/Cameroon/Togo/Ghana, or any other of the traditional destinations of political dissidents from Nigeria.

Because Ireland is easy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The more you hear from these people the clearer the resemblance to the narrow-minded God-Botherers we used to be plagued with becomes.

I believe she is also some kind of Christian minister, although she probably keeps quiet about that in the circles she moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did anyone actually saw her on the news last night - she was genuinely disturbing, it crossed the line into mental instability

If this is her “usual behaviour” I would urge her colleagues/students to intervene and get mental health services involved.

Few letters in the Irish times today saying that the “slave girls” are not actually slaves and the supposed shackles are actually just decorative.

Ffs shelbourne replace those statues to their right position and hopefully the courts can impose a fine for them ignoring Irish planning legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

sabat wrote: »
    I believe she is also some kind of Christian minister, although she probably keeps quiet about that in the circles she moves in.

She's an ordained pastor, like her late husband who died in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Few letters in the Irish times today saying that the “slave girls” are not actually slaves and the supposed shackles are actually just decorative.

Ffs shelbourne replace those statues to their right position and hopefully the courts can impose a fine for them ignoring Irish planning legislation

Yup

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/removal-of-statues-from-the-shelbourne-1.4316966?mode=amp

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    She's an ordained pastor, like her late husband who died in 2018.

I attended a Christian service in longford a few years ago, most of the congregation and the preacher were persons of color and African in origins - a friend from Senegal invited me to attend, curiosity got the better of me.

It was held in a disused shop unit in longford town, locals might know the venue.

The preacher began the ceremony by quoting the Bible and singing, ok I said, all good. The music was fairly lively, probably better than most RC and COI service.

He then moved into preaching about how god rewards the good people with riches and money, and asking everyone to donate at the end. Bit off I felt, but similar I suppose to The donation plate in RC.

and then - this was the shocker for me- the preacher and a separate woman from the audience launched into really insulting anti gay, anti feminist topics. Like... I mean shocking invective. :/

What saddened me was how receptive the audience was, they were literally clapping his every word and slapping his back when finished.

I left early and told my friend it wasn’t for me and I wouldn’t be returning. That same person now lives in NI and I rarely see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Imagine being required to attend a pseudo science guilt module taught by that Woman, she makes a living indoctrinating the weak minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Imagine being required to attend a pseudo science guilt module taught by that Woman, she makes a living indoctrinating the weak minded.

She makes a living out of being black! If I tried making a living out of being white, I'd be told to cop on nice and lively. And then they'll tell you you're "privileged"! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    That woman is racist.

Where o doherty was banned from twitter "DR" ebun is given a platform to ram it down the irish people throats that we are racist, you or i can not pull her up on this as she has a free pass card to say what she wants, she's a race baiter and the sad thing about it is that there is plenty of poc in this country seem to think exactly like this, cead mile failte has really kicked us in the hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Amazing how these statues have been there for years and this bint never mentioned it so I'm thinking unless it's right in front of her nose she doesn't know anything.. Dr my arse.. please someone find a photo of her in the shelbourne and let's be rid of this cretin for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,626 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't know her from Adam, but that Twitter feed is a load of baloney. Although, no surprises there I suppose. Is there anyone on that platform that doesn't end up sounding like a complete arse?

I only came across her from the Ribena incident where she shouted racism in some Galway hotel a few months back. Since then I like to pop into her Twitter now and again to see what her latest unhinged rant is.

The thing about her is that the way she goes on she completely undermines her own anti-racism message. Like nobody would argue that racism doesnt exist in Ireland, it does. But Ebun seems to think that just because it exists then that then means that every single Irish person is racist and by her rants on Twitter that is what comes across. So she gets peoples backs up and ends up completely undermining her own message. Its all shouting and screaming and throwing around allegations with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

But Ebun seems to think that just because it exists then that then means that every single Irish person is racist and by her rants on Twitter that is what comes across. So she gets peoples backs up and ends up completely undermining her own message. Its all shouting and screaming and throwing around allegations with her.

Really sounds like she has the emotional stability and intellect that would be required from a doctor/college professor. (giggle)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This is the letter from the IT today, worth a read. I can only presume apologies will be forthcoming (I won't hold my breath) and the statues will be reinstated.

Sir, – A little knowledge, they say, is a dangerous thing: and so it appears to be with the management of the Shelbourne Hotel. Hearing the words “Nubian slave”, in an act of unparalleled panic, it seems, they have removed a very significant aesthetic component of one of Dublin’s finest 19th-century architectural ensembles without real cause (Home News, July 29th).

Any research on what the statues actually represented would have revealed that Elizabeth Bowen’s oft-repeated description of them in her deliciously evocative 1951 history of the Shelbourne as “Nubian in aspect . . . two are princesses; two are slave girls” was based on little more than Dublin myth and popular belief and was, in fact, entirely incorrect.

A cursory reference to the trade catalogue from which the statues were ordered in 1867 reveals they were originally sculpted by Mathurin Moreau, one of the most prolific French sculptors of the 19th century. Between 1849 and 1879, he worked in collaboration with the Fonderie d’Art du Val d’Osne, the largest art foundry in France. He sculpted these statues as versatile models to be mass produced as both torchères and fountains. They are quite common in both forms across France and Britain. In the catalogue they are entitled “Egyptienne” and “Négresse”: there is no mention of slavery or even Nubia. Neither model is “shackled” as has been misreported since their removal; both wear golden anklets as pieces of jewellery.

One can only imagine the reference to Nubia arose from the fact that the hotel’s owners and architect would have been aware that many of ancient Egypt’s luxury commodities were sourced in the Nubia region – today divided between southern Egypt and Sudan – and that Nubian princesses had several times married into the Egyptian royal family. In this context, the four statues in fact represented royal ladies, two from Egypt and two from Nubia, hinting at the lavish luxuries that awaited patrons within the new hotel.

It seems it is this reference to “Nubia” which has misled popular thought. The “nubian slave” is, indeed, a widely fetishised Orientalist visual trope of the 19th century. However, she differs from the Shelbourne statue in one important aspect: she is almost invariably (and with some degree of historic authenticity) represented nude. The lavish draping and jewellery of the Shelbourne statue clearly demonstrate it is not, nor was it ever intended to be read as a slave.

It is only to be hoped that those wishing in future to act – with the very best of intentions – in solidarity with positive societal movements might take a moment to ensure that their actions have basis in sound research. – Yours, etc,

KYLE LEYDEN,

London, UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She's a chancer of the highest order, using her skin colour to carve out a niche in this country. Of course she's going to find "racism" everywhere. It's quite literally her job. Irish my arse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It's a supreme irony to invoke the name of Senator Joseph McCarthy while in the same breath damning a nebulous bogeyman group for engaging in "cancel culture". You'd need blinkers made of steel for that.

McCarthyism was a nebulous bogeyman group that engaged in 'cancel culture'. What, you think that all McCarthyism was done by Joseph McCarthy all by himself? It was a zeitgeist in America. :mad:

Go on, name all the proponents of McCarthyism. See, you can't. Therefore McCarthyism is clearly just a bogeyman movement that is being used as an excuse for persecuting American institutions and values. :rolleyes:

If you con't believe that 'cancel culture' exists, you aren't wearing blinkers, you're wearing a blindfold.
    There's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Marx involved here.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Really sounds like she has the emotional stability and intellect that would be required from a doctor/college professor. (giggle)

She knows nothing about Ireland it seems

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1288447024409575426

Only Donald Trump could more impress me with his ignorance and stupidity in a single tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Only Donald Trump could more impress me with his ignorance and stupidity in a single tweet.

Thanks ;)

Looks like No more St. Patrick's Days for us lads once yer wan Ebun gets her way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Looks like No more St. Patrick's Days for us lads once yer wan Ebun gets her way

Wonder how long till she claims us filthy Irish "whitewashed" St Patrick....since he was a slave, he must have been black, right?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    There are people who think slaves didnt build the pyramids.
    Wow.

Everyone knows that they had great unions back then. The lads only had to work 20 hours a week and had a flexitime schedule where they could do their hours whenever they wanted - roll in at half 11 on a Monday if you were out on the lash the night before. 40 days annual leave a year and an excellent defined benefit pension scheme that would put your local teacher to shame.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Wonder how long till she claims us filthy Irish "whitewashed" St Patrick....since he was a slave, he must have been black, right?

It would be more likely that she'd claim he can't have been a slave because he was white.

Sure wasn't he was only over on Sliabh Mis minding sheep for an internship/backpacking holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

She’s beyond parody. This lady will call you a racist if you don’t agree that she’s as Irish as Brian Boru.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

FB_IMG_1596124840240.jpg

This is interesting if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Gunmonkey wrote: »

https://twitter.com/ejiroSAfe/status/1113735007984599040?s=20 plenty more like this on twitter, the new irish own this land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Hilarious.

Incidentally Saint Patrick is also the patron Saint of Nigeria.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement