Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭bren2001

deisedude wrote: »
    The Tiger documentary is compelling viewing but it is also ridiculously one-sided as he nor anyone close to him wanted to take part in it for obvious reasons

Armen Keteyian wrote a fairly comprehensive book on Tiger in 2018. He conducted over 400 interviews of 250+ people and gives a fairly balanced view on Tiger. He was an executive producer for this documentary and the documentary if effectively just the book. I personally wouldn't consider that a one-sided account. Tiger and his people chose not to take part or refute the stories in the book.

The feeling I got at the end of the book was that I pitied Tiger and everything he had to put up with. The events from 2009 onwards made a lot of sense to me after reading it. I got a similar vibe from the documentary. I know a lot of people (Golf Weekly for example) felt very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

bren2001 wrote: »
    Armen Keteyian wrote a fairly comprehensive book on Tiger in 2018. He conducted over 400 interviews of 250+ people and gives a fairly balanced view on Tiger. He was an executive producer for this documentary and the documentary if effectively just the book. I personally wouldn't consider that a one-sided account. Tiger and his people chose not to take part or refute the stories in the book.

The feeling I got at the end of the book was that I pitied Tiger and everything he had to put up with. The events from 2009 onwards made a lot of sense to me after reading it. I got a similar vibe from the documentary. I know a lot of people (Golf Weekly for example) felt very different.

There’s also loads of really damaging stuff in that book that they left out of the documentary. If they wanted to do a one sided hit job they would have left in the stories about tiger never paying his childhood instructor, going splits on a meal he had in a diner with the navy seals, trashing the house he rented from that woman in Augusta ( he wouldn’t even say hello or acknowledge her when she said hi) he racked up a massive phone bill and they had to chase him to pay it. Even the racists stories about tigers childhood that Earl concocted. The list of negatives the left out is a mile long.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Did anyone else find the Zlatan stuff extremely tedious to listen to today?

Don't know why but I found it hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

redbuck wrote:
    Did anyone else find the Zlatan stuff extremely tedious to listen to today?

Yeah I agree smacked of a slow news day. They spent about ten minutes too long on it imo but it didn't bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

jones wrote: »
    Yeah I agree smacked of a slow news day. They spent about ten minutes too long on it imo but it didn't bother me

Lots of media outlets are trying to hype the zlatan vs Lebron story but nobody really cares...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

jones wrote: »

I haven't felt like fast forwarding a section in a year but this one just seemed to drag on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Getting rid of it entirely would be the best move to make.

PUT SOME RESPECT ON MURPH'S NAME!

Yes he is not the star of the show (Ken) and he isn't amazing like Eoin and all his comments aren't hilarious BUT he is funny more often than not and he makes some insightful comments.

I won't hear a bad word against Frances or her TV guide. That's when I know its the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Raisins wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if the lads cover this Gordon Elliott story. They usually ignore racing completely.

They ignore it because it’s a sports podcast

Seamy Fitz wrote: »
    PUT SOME RESPECT ON MURPH'S NAME!

Yes he is not the star of the show (Ken) and he isn't amazing like Eoin and all his comments aren't hilarious BUT he is funny more often than not and he makes some insightful comments.

I won't hear a bad word against Frances or her TV guide. That's when I know its the weekend.

It's just too fast to be able to evaluate what he is saying. Too many details of non-consequential games. Too much filler not enough killer.

TXPTGR1 wrote: »

It's such a boring story I hope they ignore it. Man sits on dead horse. People pretend to be outraged. Media wags finger. Rest of world shrugs shoulders.

• Advertisement

It's such a boring story I hope they ignore it. Man sits on dead horse. People pretend to be outraged. Media wags finger. Rest of world shrugs shoulders.

Terrible take for a number of reasons. Whether you think it’s pretend outrage the rest of the world definitely isn’t shrugging its shoulders. It made news from the US to Australia and Japan. I won’t say anything else because it would be way off topic. The lads are entitled to ignore certain sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think that's a very simplistic view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

TXPTGR1 wrote: »

I'm not sure if this was meant in the way I took it but for me Horse racing isn't a sport, its an activity for gambling companies and has absolutely no business being discussed as part of Second Captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I'm not sure if this was meant in the way I took it but for me Horse racing isn't a sport, its an activity for gambling companies and has absolutely no business being discussed as part of Second Captains.

all sports are now activities for gambling companies

That in itself is worth discussion. The lads covered gambling in depth a few times - like on the players chair or in the book released by that postman who stole millions and spent time in prison - they have not avoided racing entirely.

The Gordon Elliott story attacks the very core of horse racing. There’s a good article in the guardian where the point was made that most of the general public who have no interest in racing know that a lot of horses die but don’t really get outraged at the sport because there’s a social contract that the horses who live and die racing are well treated in life and that the loss is felt by those who own and care for the horse. The moment that premise is challenged in the public eye all bets are off (literally).

It’s the type of story the lads are good at covering. On social media it’s day 1 outrage, day 2 fallout (loses his business), day 3 outage at the hysterical virtue signalling, day 4 old news. It’s around day 4 that the issue gets a disciplinary hearing in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I think horse racing is a sport, just a bad one, that almost nobody would watch if not for the gambling element. If the podcast were to cover the Elliot story, I would hope they would have a broader discussion on the merits and ethics of horse racing, rather than just covering the 'man using dead horse as a chair is wrong' story.

While there is an element of truth to that, I can still play Sunday league or 5 a side without gambling involvement and the premier league would continue even without gambling sponsorships (albeit with a lot less money). Horse racing would not exist without gambling companies to sponsor it or spectators being able to gamble on it.
    That in itself is worth discussion. The lads covered gambling in depth a few times - like on the players chair or in the book released by that postman who stole millions and spent time in prison - they have not avoided racing entirely.

The Gordon Elliott story attacks the very core of horse racing. There’s a good article in the guardian where the point was made that most of the general public who have no interest in racing know that a lot of horses die but don’t really get outraged at the sport because there’s a social contract that the horses who live and die racing are well treated in life and that the loss is felt by those who own and care for the horse. The moment that premise is challenged in the public eye all bets are off (literally).

It’s the type of story the lads are good at covering. On social media it’s day 1 outrage, day 2 fallout (loses his business), day 3 outage at the hysterical virtue signalling, day 4 old news. It’s around day 4 that the issue gets a disciplinary hearing in the real world.

While I agree that they would probably do a good job covering it I'd rather leave OTB to cover it. To be honest its not a story that interests me, the social contract you mention doesn't apply to me, I would have and have never had any confidence in the good treatment of horses as part of the industry. To me its no different to greyhound racing and I expect that in years to come it will become similar to hunting in terms of broad public distaste for it. All this story has done is highlight what many believe was always the case in this industry. Several parties and politicians have looked at removing government support for these industries on that very basis.

As usual with this kind of story there are plenty who see nothing wrong with it and I don't think anything the lads contribute will be enough to make any difference. Let the usual suspects like Johnny Ward on OTB fawn over the glorious industry of horse racing and explain how this is a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

If gambling was banned worldwide tomorrow, horse racing would cease to exist. Can't say that about most sports

While there is an element of truth to that, I can still play Sunday league or 5 a side without gambling involvement and the premier league would continue even without gambling sponsorships (albeit with a lot less money). Horse racing would not exist without gambling companies to sponsor it or spectators being able to gamble on it.

While I agree that they would probably do a good job covering it I'd rather leave OTB to cover it. To be honest its not a story that interests me, the social contract you mention doesn't apply to me, I would have and have never had any confidence in the good treatment of horses as part of the industry. To me its no different to greyhound racing and I expect that in years to come it will become similar to hunting in terms of broad public distaste for it. All this story has done is highlight what many believe was always the case in this industry. Several parties and politicians have looked at removing government support for these industries on that very basis.

As usual with this kind of story there are plenty who see nothing wrong with it and I don't think anything the lads contribute will be enough to make any difference. Let the usual suspects like Johnny Ward on OTB fawn over the glorious industry of horse racing and explain how this is a one off.

so horse racing was started by betting companies? for the sole purpose of putting bets on?

so horse racing was started by betting companies? for the sole purpose of putting bets on?

Where did I say that exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah who cares about this horse racing stuff, can we talk about Ken's appreciation for 80s synth football themes instead.

Where did I say that exactly?

an activity for gambling companies.

surely you can accept that horse racing exists and gambling companies create markets around it. same with all other sports /markets.

so people interested in horse racing would still be interested in it if the gambling aspect was taken away. same with other sports

• Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭kippy

surely you can accept that horse racing exists and gambling companies create markets around it. same with all other sports /markets.

so people interested in horse racing would still be interested in it if the gambling aspect was taken away. same with other sports

You think horse racing would exist in its current form without gambling?

kippy wrote: »
    You think horse racing would exist in its current form without gambling?

in its current form absolutely not.

but look at the amount gambling around english football. if gambling was outright banned it would affect all sports.

I do accept that yes but on your second point, if the money that gambling companies inject into the sport was no longer available the entire industry would collapse. It would cease to exist as a "sport" which would support trainers, jockeys and all the ancillary parts of the industry. Racecourses etc. would no longer be financially viable. I've no doubt that there may be some hardcore fans who would continue in a massively reduced scale but the industry would be absolutely decimated without gambling.
    in its current form absolutely not.

but look at the amount gambling around english football. if gambling was outright banned it would affect all sports.

I acknowledged that gambling being taken out of football would impact it as well but the point is it would still exist almost exactly the same as it currently does, less money floating around for sure but to my mind the sponsorship of football teams by gambling companies is no different to the recent enough banning of tobacco sponsorship (with alcohol not far behind and already banned on kids shirts and completely in France). Even banning gambling completely would not have a major impact on football, people would still be fans. You'd possibly lose some of the idiotic "acca" fans who's weekends revolve around gambling but that's no great loss, these are the kind of people who send abusive tweets to team accounts because they cost them a bet. Hardly a great loss to the game.

Question; if people could no longer gamble on horse racing, would the grand national/cheltenham/aintree festivals still operate do you think? I certainly don't think so. If gambling was banned in football, the World Cup, Champions League and all major leagues would continue without a doubt.

Ah who cares about this horse racing stuff, can we talk about Ken's appreciation for 80s synth football themes instead.

That Mexico song at the end is an absolute banger.

I do accept that yes but on your second point, if the money that gambling companies inject into the sport was no longer available the entire industry would collapse. It would cease to exist as a "sport" which would support trainers, jockeys and all the ancillary parts of the industry. Racecourses etc. would no longer be financially viable. I've no doubt that there may be some hardcore fans who would continue in a massively reduced scale but the industry would be absolutely decimated without gambling.

I acknowledged that gambling being taken out of football would impact it as well but the point is it would still exist almost exactly the same as it currently does, less money floating around for sure but to my mind the sponsorship of football teams by gambling companies is no different to the recent enough banning of tobacco sponsorship (with alcohol not far behind and already banned on kids shirts and completely in France). Even banning gambling completely would not have a major impact on football, people would still be fans. You'd possibly lose some of the idiotic "acca" fans who's weekends revolve around gambling but that's no great loss, these are the kind of people who send abusive tweets to team accounts because they cost them a bet. Hardly a great loss to the game.

Question; if people could no longer gamble on horse racing, would the grand national/cheltenham/aintree festivals still operate do you think? I certainly don't think so. If gambling was banned in football, the World Cup, Champions League and all major leagues would continue without a doubt.

i think your downplaying the amount of gambling money around football. The sheer amount of markets available and ads during games means there is more than people doing an acca of a Saturday.

As regards racing there would be a massive impact unless they could replace that sponsorship money from gambling companies with something else.

similar to tobacco and alcohol restrictions football would find it easier to plug that gap. that is where racing would struggle imo.

Terrible take for a number of reasons. Whether you think it’s pretend outrage the rest of the world definitely isn’t shrugging its shoulders. It made news from the US to Australia and Japan. I won’t say anything else because it would be way off topic. The lads are entitled to ignore certain sports.

Just because it's made news in US/Australia/Japan does not mean it's newsworthy.

It gets clicks because it's emotive. But in and of itself it's a non-story and bores me.

i think your downplaying the amount of gambling money around football. The sheer amount of markets available and ads during games means there is more than people doing an acca of a Saturday.

As regards racing there would be a massive impact unless they could replace that sponsorship money from gambling companies with something else.

similar to tobacco and alcohol restrictions football would find it easier to plug that gap. that is where racing would struggle imo.

I'm not saying there's not a massive gambling market around football, I'm saying if it didn't exist then football would not be affected too much. All that money in gambling markets goes to the gambling companies, not the teams or organisations running the sport.

On the last point, I think we're in agreement that horse racing would struggle, I just think it would struggle a bit more than you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If there was no gambling then horse racing either wouldn't exist or would be super niche. It's the only sport that is reported on where gambling odds form part of the coverage.

Advertisement