Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Bring back John Delaney, he'll sort them out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

FIFA have made a movie recently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Ken calling Duff the Lisan al Gaib of Tolka Park is exactly what I pay my monthly subscription for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I listened to yesterday's pod and the chat about the Arsenal and Man City styles of play was some of the wankiest stuff I've heard. I usually really enjoy Jonathan Wilson but only for me wearing work gloves (I was tidying garden stuff) I'd have skipped it.

But then I read Ken's column in the times about the match and it had this line:

Grealish wasn’t the only one feeling that way after 90 minutes of City v Arsenal, in which Arteta and Guardiola served up their latest helping of hyper-systematised, state-of-the-art **** on a stick.

All is forgiven… (link: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2024/04/01/arsenal-and-city-have-now-come-together-to-produce-three-appalling-matches-this-season/ )

(P.S. The new link thing in Board is utter muck)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It was seriously dry alright. I like Jonathon Wilson, but he can be in danger of disappearing up his own backside sometimes. Whenever he starts talking about historical football events/characters I know I'm in for a snoozefest

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭MercuryBoy

It was nerd nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought that was pretty much standard fare for Wilson, always a bit painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Wilson is a legend and i won't entertain anything to the contrary.

Yesterdays show did go a bit bookish on the whole subject though although i did still enjoy it they could have knocked 15 minutes off that chat easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Appreciate them doing a proper podcast on a bank holiday but not sure it needed that much time on such a boring game. I zoned out when they started on about 'Posisitionism'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Love Johnathan Wilson. A top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The chat about the City v Arsenal game was almost as dull as the match itself. And I usually enjoy Ken and Jonathan Wilson together. Don't feel the other fella added much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

They're kinda stuck with it i imagine. The two lads are probably booked before the weekend based on who is assigned to which match by their paper and who is available at the same time on a Monday.

I'm sure the west ham game was more fun but maybe one of them actually saw it and none in person.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No doubt those bizarre insurance ads featuring Rob Kearney will get mentioned on the pod

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

So now it's come out that like Keane and Carsley it's the budget that scuppered any chance of Poyet taking the job. Not enough to hire his preferred backroom team.

It has to bring into serious question the competency of Hill and Canham that over the course of six months they've continually tried to hire managers who are clearly outside the budget they've got. They were always going to end up with a Big John or Lennon level guy and they couldn't bring themselves to face the reality that the job and budget they were offering were not attractive at all.

The FAI are somehow more shambolic post-Delaney. It's truly remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

little evidence to suggest carsley’s candidacy collapsed on budget. Maybe if they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse in the millions but that would have been irresponsible and basically wrong a candidate as unproven as carsley.

Carsley just has a great easy job already and the Irish job is not very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

That's pretty shambolic.

Little evidence, apart form every fecking report about the Carsley situation. Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think I've heard ROC once give an insight on actual rugby, a team or tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Listened to 2906 this morning, am i mad or did Ken let it slip that he supports Villa at 7mins? He said talking about the city villa game "if we are going to lose anyway…."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

he supports Liverpool, a family member of his revealed this to me. I know you are not aware but this has been done to death so please please don’t continue this chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Loved Ken's Ronaldinho ramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

I did for a while, but was getting a bit bored of it by the end. Eoin would have definitely cut him off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought it was a good old fashioned episode. The type of enjoyable ramblings I used to tune in for during the newstalk days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Think he was definitely taking advantage / trying to wind up Ciaran, and the latter seemed to know it too!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So.. is Eoin leaving the podcast or starting a super secret project 🤣

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Or maybe he just took a week off from his job.

• Advertisement

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2024/apr/06/champions-league-needs-true-golden-eggs-to-bring-back-unmissable-spectacle

Wilson needs to stop using second Captains as the source for all his opinions. Ken can’t love you as much as you love him.

Advertisement