Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

24567252

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato


    Sentencing was in 2017.

    I don't buy that Walsh as a sports journalist didn't know what was public knowledge by then.

    Life ain't always empty.



  • Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite


    Arghus wrote: »
    NETHERLANDS FIVE!!!

    my ears

    my ears

    That rant was one of his best ever.
    Thanks Ken, 5 time World Cup winner.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog


    Player's Chair with Danny Rose.

    Nothing wrong as such and they can be worth a listen but they are nearly always totally bereft of some levity. I felt that today moreso than ever. Probably says more about my state of mind at the moment tbh. But I coulda done with a bit of a laugh today and SC delivers very well in that regard but the Player's Chair seldom allows the listener a light chuckle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69


    NO FOOTBALL SHOW AFTER A DRAMA SOAKED FA CUP FINAL !!!! SHOCKING STUFF !!!
    KEN EARLY SHOULD BE DRAGGED FROM HIS BED !!! AND BE MADE GIVE A MINUTE BY MINUTE RECOUNT OF THE DRAMA THAT TOOK PLACE IN A GLORIOUS SUN SOAKED WEMBELY ....THAT LEFT ALL APPLAUDING WILDLY AT THEIR TELEVISION SETS/SMART PHONES

    FA CUP MAGIC !!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman


    humberklog wrote: »
    Player's Chair with Danny Rose.

    Nothing wrong as such and they can be worth a listen but they are nearly always totally bereft of some levity. I felt that today moreso than ever. Probably says more about my state of mind at the moment tbh. But I coulda done with a bit of a laugh today and SC delivers very well in that regard but the Player's Chair seldom allows the listener a light chuckle.


    Considering the player and topics discussed, surprised anyone would be expecting levity. I personally found it one of the better players chairs, mainly as Richie wasn't interjecting with his own 'Millwall' examples every 2nd sentence like he usually does, and actually let the guest talk and express themselves.


    Very sad to hear of Rose's experiences of day to day life as well. He sounded well and truly fed up with the state of affairs regarding race in the UK.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike


    Considering the player and topics discussed, surprised anyone would be expecting levity. I personally found it one of the better players chairs, mainly as Richie wasn't interjecting with his own 'Millwall' examples every 2nd sentence like he usually does, and actually let the guest talk and express themselves.


    Very sad to hear of Rose's experiences of day to day life as well. He sounded well and truly fed up with the state of affairs regarding race in the UK.

    I listened to it all but, as serious as the issues are, I just found Rose very monotonous. The early parts of the interview sounded like he was lying in his bed Skyping Richie.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers


    I turned it off after 15 minutes, may go back to it but felt like Rose was going through the motions, maybe that's how he naturally is


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog


    Considering the player and topics discussed, surprised anyone would be expecting levity. I personally found it one of the better players chairs, mainly as Richie wasn't interjecting with his own 'Millwall' examples every 2nd sentence like he usually does, and actually let the guest talk and express themselves.


    Very sad to hear of Rose's experiences of day to day life as well. He sounded well and truly fed up with the state of affairs regarding race in the UK.

    I buried a brother a few years ago and there was far better crack at the funeral than that interview.

    But an individual interview isn't really my point.
    Richie's interviews (which I listen to) are bereft of some fun. Of lightness. Of being. Even in the gloomiest of situations Richie tries to dive darker. He always divines towards the darker angular where no lightness can escape.

    Richie is a moment away from Dave McSavage's portrait of Joe Duffy's nipple twisting glorifying of another person's agony. That's not where he wants to be but for this listener it's hard to escape that that's where he's going.

    Don't get me wrong, I do like RS. But has he listened to too much Ray D'arcy? and thought to himself..."the crowd, the people...they want it darker, ever darker than gloomy D'Arcy , I can do that. I can kill natural humour and if you laugh I'll call you a lesser hearted being. Get on board the Wellness train or remain an emotionally backward****tard."

    We all deal with emotional stuff. Mostly in my experience we attempt to deal with it in good humour when half appropriate. Richie's interviews never find that natural and normal human touch.

    Richie could do with listening back to Dr. Anthony Clare's interviews and paying less interest into Ray D'Arcy's line of gloomtacism spiel.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike


    humberklog wrote: »
    I buried a brother a few years ago and there was far better crack at the funeral than that interview.

    But an individual interview isn't really my point.
    Richie's interviews (which I listen to) are bereft of some fun. Of lightness. Of being. Even in the gloomiest of situations Richie tries to dive darker. He always divines towards the darker angular where no lightness can escape.

    Richie is a moment away from Dave McSavage's portrait of Joe Duffy's nipple twisting glorifying of another person's agony. That's not where he wants to be but for this listener it's hard to escape that that's where he's going.

    Don't get me wrong, I do like RS. But has he listened to too much Ray D'arcy? and thought to himself..."the crowd, the people...they want it darker, ever darker than gloomy D'Arcy , I can do that. I can kill natural humour and if you laugh I'll call you a lesser hearted being. Get on board the Wellness train or remain an emotionally backward****tard."

    We all deal with emotional stuff. Mostly in my experience we attempt to deal with it in good humour when half appropriate. Richie's interviews never find that natural and normal human touch.

    Richie could do with listening back to Dr. Anthony Clare's interviews and paying less interest into Ray D'Arcy's line of gloomtacism spiel.

    That's an interesting take. Do we "deal with it" through humor? Or do we bury it further by making jokes about it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07


    I'd be inclined to submit to Richie's superior knowledge in the area of wellness etc. Although I did feel that this interview was part of a trend on SC where they accept the most left-wing interpretation of current events. Perhaps that's just where they are politically.
    It was more evident when they discussed the Paddy Jackson trial, I specifically remember Eoin saying that he'd never seen anything like the whats app messages those boys sent each other. In my experience 'lads mag' culture is fairly normal in all male whats app groups.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit


    patsman07 wrote: »
    In my experience 'lads mag' culture is fairly normal in all male whats app groups.

    Speak for yourself there..

    Also, what's "left wing" about a black player talking about the racist abuse he gets both playing and in everyday life?


  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07


    Nothing obviously. It's clear in my post that I was speaking about SC and not Danny Rose.



    All instances of racism should be condemned and dealt with, I thought Rose made good points on the problems of racism in football, the lack of proper fines for national FA's and the lack of information about what happens if a game is abandoned. I wish they had of got into the lack of black managers a little more.



    However, because racism is being spoken about now far more than it was say 5 years ago, I think people are more aware of it and therefore there is a tendency to see instances of racism where it may not exist. Rose's example of the ticket collector on the train, perhaps the ticket collector was being racist or perhaps he was doing his job and didn't ask the two white passengers for their tickets because he recognised them as regular commuters.



    Rose's opinion seems to be 'society is systemically racist.' That's a political opinion, it wasn't challenged by Richie because he's of the same political point of view as Rose. A good interviewer should challenge the interviewee.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    patsman07 wrote: »
    Nothing obviously. It's clear in my post that I was speaking about SC and not Danny Rose.



    All instances of racism should be condemned and dealt with, I thought Rose made good points on the problems of racism in football, the lack of proper fines for national FA's and the lack of information about what happens if a game is abandoned. I wish they had of got into the lack of black managers a little more.



    However, because racism is being spoken about now far more than it was say 5 years ago, I think people are more aware of it and therefore there is a tendency to see instances of racism where it may not exist. Rose's example of the ticket collector on the train, perhaps the ticket collector was being racist or perhaps he was doing his job and didn't ask the two white passengers for their tickets because he recognised them as regular commuters.



    Rose's opinion seems to be 'society is systemically racist.' That's a political opinion, it wasn't challenged by Richie because he's of the same political point of view as Rose. A good interviewer should challenge the interviewee.

    These are the EXACT points as to why we should be (and slowly are) talking more about racism. Given, as you say, that we are talking about racism so much these days, it'd be great if you listened to what was being said. The points I highlighted in your quote are the exact points that made me stop and think a little more about it and the examples of every day subtle racism and to NOT question it, or belittle it. Me, and most of us, are in a place of privilege, and shouldn't dare question this racism, or the legitimacy of it. We should be helping and trying to eradicate it. Your first point is so ignorant it's unbelievable.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number


    I remember a while ago, they were talking to two black journalists about racism and US Murph about attending a BLM protest, annd was thinking it's nice to see this thread not clogged up with the same old tired bullsh1t.

    Wasn't to last though :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod


    Quick glance at that users posting history will you tell you all you need to know. Only a few weeks back he/she was questioning why it was ok for black people to use the n word but white people couldn't :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus


    I believe Ken yesterday referred to a phenomenon called "Internet brain"...


  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭dog_pig


    sheroman01 wrote: »
    Me, and most of us, are in a place of privilege, and shouldn't dare question this racism, or the legitimacy of it.

    Since when was it a reasonable to decide that particular topics can't be discussed by certain demographics? How are these issues supposed to be talked about?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    dog_pig wrote: »
    Since when was it a reasonable to decide that particular topics can't be discussed by certain demographics?

    You don't see how ridiculous it is for me, a white person, to question a black person's personal experience of racism?
    dog_pig wrote: »
    How are these issues supposed to be talked about?

    We listen. Not every topic in the world needs to be debated and argued against. Sometimes we just need to listen, and act on things, and make it right.


  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭dog_pig


    sheroman01 wrote: »
    You don't see how ridiculous it is for me, a white person, to question a black person's personal experience of racism?

    I don't think it's inherently ridiculous to ask questions about any topic. If you want to frame it as a white person "questioning" a black person's personal experience you're of course free to, that seems reductive to me though.
    sheroman01 wrote: »
    We listen. Not every topic in the world needs to be debated and argued against. Sometimes we just need to listen, and act on things

    I disagree. I would prefer to develop a better understanding of an issue by discussing it, rather than deciding due to reasons beyond my control that I'm not allowed to talk about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski


    I must say I think Murph grasped the idea of the outrage over Arsenal's behaviour regarding redundancies of staff way better than Ken yesterday. I was surprised by Ken's opinions on the matter.
    The main point that Murph was making, which I agree with, is that people are losing their jobs here.
    When you note it saves £1.2m (figure might be wrong but it was around that ball park) in wages, it really is a drop in the ocean one would feel and if £1.2m is the amount that Arsenal need to save to survive, then it says a lot about the way the club is run, considering they still received their full tv money allocation, just won the FA cup and will be in Europe next season. At the same time, handing one of their top players an extra £100,000 per week (which I completely acknowledge is what drives success in terms of shirt sales, goals, wins, performance etc etc) but it is that disconnect that would really infuriate me if my club were to engage in similar practices.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus


    Yeah, Ken likes to look at things from a slightly different angle at times - which has its benefits, in that he can sometimes see an overlooked aspect or contradiction in the prevailing opinion on a given subject - but sometimes it means that he misses the obvious. I, think, to be fair to him, he was seeing things a bit more from Murph's perspective by the end of it though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike


    Did anyone else have the Ken faffing around looking for stuff, and asking the lads if they could still hear him at the 36 mins mark on the show yesterday? Obviously should've been edited out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz


    Did anyone else have the Ken faffing around looking for stuff, and asking the lads if they could still hear him at the 36 mins mark on the show yesterday? Obviously should've been edited out.

    Yeah. First time I’ve ever remembered that happening on SC. Which is good going!

    They’ve just got that bit better quality ..... It might be a nob end in the.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    Did anyone else have the Ken faffing around looking for stuff, and asking the lads if they could still hear him at the 36 mins mark on the show yesterday? Obviously should've been edited out.

    Is it possible that they left that bit in? I found it interesting and funny. I laughed when Ken was like "....hello?". People seemed to like his sound effects when doing his David Silva research, so maybe this was an insight into the real sound effects of Ken's research :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74


    Ken on Lampard and his use of a whatsapp group for his coaches yesterday. Great stuff :pac::D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Ken on Lampard and his use of a whatsapp group for his coaches yesterday. Great stuff :pac::D

    I found that extremely nitpicky. I’m sure plenty of managers/staff have WhatsApp groups. I prefer their obsession over David Silva than Lampard!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan


    On the Arsenal job losses heard on the price of football which is arguably a better podcast than Second Captains (cheep shot, cheep shot!!!) that winning the FA cup is actually costing Arsenal over 9 million pounds in bonuses, non wage reductions due to winning a cup, etc. Still no excuse for those reducancies in the cafe or groundsmen etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike


    sheroman01 wrote: »
    I found that extremely nitpicky. I’m sure plenty of managers/staff have WhatsApp groups. I prefer their obsession over David Silva than Lampard!

    He wasn't criticising Lampard for it. He was taking the piss out of how it was being reported as some innovative approach.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod


    sheroman01 wrote: »
    I found that extremely nitpicky. I’m sure plenty of managers/staff have WhatsApp groups. I prefer their obsession over David Silva than Lampard!

    I think thats exactly the point they were making? That surely almost every club has a whatsapp group yet some in the media are praising Lampard as if this is some revolutionary new idea that Frank came up with as apposed to standard practice in most clubs for years now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    I think thats exactly the point they were making? That surely almost every club has a whatsapp group yet some in the media are praising Lampard as if this is some revolutionary new idea that Frank came up with as apposed to standard practice in most clubs for years now.

    Ah, my bad! I completely missed the point so, I thought the whole sarcasm was being directed at Frank rather than the journalist.


Advertisement