Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ken is a pool fan , his brother in law told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken said on another podcast( I think it was the Irishman abroad) that he won’t reveal what team supports on air (it is Liverpool) but will if asked in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭halfpastneverr

I was refreshing and refreshing with the patreon presale and tickets were gone by 10:03am. Then I remembered the 3 presale thing and chanced my arm with that code about 12:30pm and got tickets. I'd say with this sort of demand they might add a second night if Olympia isn't booked the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Caitlin Thompson went simultaneously down and up in my estimation today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She handled it like a boss. Really enjoyed the interview, she'd be good craic on a night out I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm glad the audience called her on it, she did handle it very well. Great episode all round, definitely worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I thought she was great. Maybe slightly ‘refreshed’ but all the better for it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The story about McCain was very funny.

Top drawer guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭jones

Caitlin is a brilliant guest was even more engaging in the live show. Apart from the commonwealth faux pas but she recovered well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah, and not her 1st faux pas in that regard (I don't get my knickers in a twist about that stuff tbh).

But she sounded so relaxed and enjoying the occasion. As a previous poster said she sounded slightly "refreshed".

Good on them for calling her in and good on her for turning up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Raoul

I came on to echo what you guys are saying. She actually might be the best contributor on the podcast altogether.

Such a brilliant interview.

Also, I hate to keep **** on Murph but he is absolutely dreadful for butting in on the NY pods when Eoin and Ken are speaking. Absolutely ruining them! It sometimes feels like Eoin is hurrying up what he is saying so Murph can't interrupt him. It's unbearable!

Agree re: Murph. Keeps sticking his oar in when not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Don't agree with the comments on Murph. Think you just don't want to hear him, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I like murph, he can be funny at times, but he really doesn't know when to shut the f*ck up. He seems to love hearing himself speak, and he ALWAYS wants to speak, which is great for a podcaster! But maybe not when you're sharing the airwaves with 2 or more other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Caitlin was good.

That McCain story was pretty mad. I'd say she's got a ton more where that came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

The 10 years is quite an achievement and hats off the the team. I'm not sure what the point of the NYC visit was except a jolly for the lads, it didn't exactly make much difference to the pods. Caitlin is fantastic but it would have worked as well over Zoom or whatever. I guess I'm just not a fan of the live shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Exactly! A little treat for themselves with some work thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭MattressRick

My thoughts as well. I really like Murph and he can be very funny but he needs to pull the handbrake at times and come in at the best times or when he has something properly good to input, like Ken who waits until he's asked for his opinion and then has something deadpan and often very funny to deliver.

Murph interrupting everybody because he's so excited to be in New York is annoying to say the least, especially when he's laughing at his own interruptions!

It was interesting to hear a bit about the background around their departure from newstalk, especially not being allowed back to clear their desks. Sounded like they didn't see that instruction coming.

They've earned a trip out of their hard work. Though I don't think I need to hear again how AMAZING New York is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm not a huge fan of listening to live shows for most podcasts as the hosts usually end up trying too hard to be entertaining or funny (like Murph yesterday) and the guests can try too hard at times but Second Captains live shows are generally quite good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 choosetheend

Andrew Mangan of Arseblog, used to do a podcast called the 738am podcast. He had episodes interviewing Ken, Eoin, and Murph around 2015/2016.

They go into it a bit.

Jarlath Regan also interviewed Ken at least on his podcast but think there is a paywall to get his archive.

This is a response to someone asking above for more detail on their departure from Newstalk, thought I was quoting them but messed it up somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

loved that chat with caitlin thompson. would have liked if ken was involved could have poked around the political stuff a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Shank Williams

only thing I know about Paul flynn out from his Dublin career is that he loved wearing clothes that were way too tight for him when head of GPA.

think the side effects are noticeable in his GAA punditry

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Shank Williams

Would love to go to one but they aren’t great as a listening experience imo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,207 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Which pod was it where they talked a little about their newstalk departure? I somehow missed that bit, but would love to go back to catch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ep 2580, the 15 minute one from 6/7 March. Just listened to it there, would honestly love to hear the 5 of them chatting away about it for way longer.

Great lads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Would love to have been at that lock-in the night they left Newstalk (Ok maybe leave before the drunken gibberish starts)

Going by the tone of those tweets Horgan put out about it I'd say he was like Henry Sellars at the end of the night.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,207 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah deadly, thanks a million! I totally bypassed that one somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 choosetheend

Somebody mentioned it a while ago, but I do find it a bit strange the way they haven't mentioned Richie Sadlier in a good while.

His last time in the show was August last year, I think.

He still has Second Captains mentioned in his Twitter profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Well he had back surgery and became a parent in the past year so could just be doing a bit less media work temporarily

Advertisement