Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That sounds exactly like Sascha Guryenov too. No matter he's asked to comment on, he will go out of his way to bring it back to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Also not a fan of Reddy, maybe she is better suited to print but find her incredibly dull on TV or podcasts

Post edited by siblers on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

caoimhe o'neill is a much better liverpool reporter imo ,would prefer if she was brought on. never took to reddy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

DO you reckon some of the comments back on their survey were about the rugby talk being too technical? (I think it is anyway)

Horgan made some remark at some point and Eoin jumped in quickly "Can you explain that there Shane, what you actually mean?" or words to that effect. Thought on a few occasions they delved into what the terms were for non overly rugby folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

I asked them to completely isolate rugby in its own self containing pod so they haven’t been listening to everyone…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

She's so knowledgeable but at the same time she's really hard to listen to. Could have really skipped the last 15 mins of todays pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Have to agree with Melissa points. I only got to listen this morning on my run, and had to stop it and listen to someone else and I cant remember the last time I did that with SC.

As soon as the words left Ken's mouth that he predicted an Arsenal win, he sealed them to their doom

• Registered Users Posts: 30,965 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Melissa one was tricky for her I think... they obviously wanted her to come on and expand upon her Sky Sports article about the backroom stuff, but she clearly didn't want to dig herself any deeper, presumably worried about losing access etc. She's also such a massive Klopp-head, I'd say she was afraid of her life saying anything that might get her into more trouble with him and the club. So it ended up being a bit of a nothing conversation.

In general I quite like her though, and even quite like her voice (I'm def in a minority with that!), and find her pretty good on Liverpool-centric subjects (no point having her on to talk about anything else though). But with her walking on eggshells the whole time, it was a bit of a miss of a segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

The Melissa interview was dross.. Sounded like PR for klopp.

I find her a difficult listen anyway but she can't be impartial when talking about Liverpool after writing her book (which sounds like nonsense)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

I think Melissa Reddy knows her stuff but it's her delivery or frankly her voice which just grates on me. She's always been pro Liverpool and particularly klopp but has maybe backed herself into a corner now with the talk of trouble in the background at Liverpool.

I'm not sure why it's a big deal it's as clear as day Liverpool have been in a tailspin this season (let's hope we just pulled out of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She needs to decide if she's a journalist or a fan tbh

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

F as

She's both really... there's plenty of people in that bracket now, of partisan one-team journos. It's a tightrope to walk, as obviously you can't push the line too far or you're out of a livelihood. So in that sense, fair play to her for publishing that negative Liverpool story in the first place - would have been a lot easier/safer to stick to puff pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'd say it was more out of necessity this season. If she wants to write a puff piece, she wouldn't be writing anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

Just catching up on the LOI preview show from last week...christ almighty. 'Sneyd and Branno' outdoing themselves, 45 minutes of cringe although it does seem to be driven more by 'Branno'.

My request in the survey for new voices on LOI seems to have fallen on deaf ears (as I expected)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ken was really pushing the "United fans really want Qatar" nonsense even after quoting a survey stating the opposite!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yeah I really don't enjoy Branno on the show at all. Surely they could get better LOI analysts?

Pretty sure Eoin said on that episode that Branno works for Second Captains now

Yeah he does. They confirmed it a good while ago. He is producing. Wonder are the huge variation in sound levels anything to do with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

I think Branno is actually ok although he does head down the banter road a little too often. Probably an unpopular thing to say but i love football but have no interest in LOI at all.

Not fond of Branno either... he definitely leans into the smarmy bantz side of things. I'm not entirely gone on Sneyd either tbh, purely cause it can take him so long to say something simple, but he's knowledgeable on the league and tries not to follow Branno down bantz alley.

There surely are other people out there they could have on though? It's such an afterthought of a segment, when it could actually be something they dip into every 3 or 4 weeks for a half hour if it was done properly with more engaging/engaged guests. Like, I'd like to be more invested in the LOI, and an occasional proper segment with better guests would really help to get pulled into the broader stories playing out. If she's kept up with the league's goings-on, Lisa Fallon would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

As mentioned above, with Branno now working there he's nailed on to be the contributor for LOI going forward I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I think this Paul Flynn Murph and Michael Murphy thing could become nauseating especially cause of Murph being intrigued about their college days..

Why does flynn just have to use jargon in every sentence. Talking about practicing kick passing and just had to call it low intensity kick practice..

I actually find Flynn an extremely dull contributor. I don't listen to the slots he's on anymore, and the only reason I would have previously would have been because McConville was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

yep mcconville is a big loss. id be no big gaa man but dont mind the following the football when its on, always enjoyed mcconvilles contributions. bit annoying as OTBs is even worse so nothing to fill the gap.

as for loi , i actually prefer snyeds writing than listening to him. hes done some outstanding work in the build up to cup finals over the past few years. id rate him as a journo. loi contributors will be hard to find, conan byrne does a lot on rte but hes brutal, cawley likewise.

They can keep the twice-a-year check-ins with the two lads as they are if they want, but they could really add to it with more separate LOI shows with different guests - whether that's other journos, or coaches or former players or whatever. Just something to add an extra bit of coverage of whatever interesting stories are playing out through the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The solution is obvious - more Joey N'do

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

At least they replaced Oisin with another low northern drawl.

• Advertisement

Did you suggest this in your survey by any chance? I like the idea of it. But I expect if they do end up doing more LOI stuff (whether covering it more generally on the show or dedicated pods) it will involve Branno.

Advertisement