Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Can rte not afford the fake noise machine ? They should at least just have the noise of a pub or a restaurant or a rollercoaster over the match... something is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's always the mute button which also deals with "danger here"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

I am on Ken's side. I much prefer it without crowd noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It’s awful... I need that fake noise

need neither the fake noise nor the atrocious football to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Raoul wrote: »
    I am on Ken's side. I much prefer it without crowd noise.

Same. For all sports. The NFL with fake noise is brutal too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Obrieski wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoy his not so subtle digs at Dunphy (presumably) from their time in the RTE studio?
    They really seem to not get on at all!

Once again Boards.ie asks the question and SC answer. It was very funny listening to Richie today talking about his experience working with Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Found the football preview of the Ireland game yesterday absolutely brutal! Your man whinging about his wedding before offering no insight into the game other than verbal diarrhoea. Pretty poor showing and he couldn’t even pronounce Skriniars name despite being Slovakias best players along with Hamsik. One of the poorest podcasts I've listened to in a while.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

duffman13 wrote: »
    Found the football preview of the Ireland game yesterday absolutely brutal! Your man whinging about his wedding before offering no insight into the game other than verbal diarrhoea. Pretty poor showing and he couldn’t even pronounce Skriniars name despite being Slovakias best players along with Hamsik. One of the poorest podcasts I've listened to in a while.

Sneyd called it with McClean though!

But yeah it was poor enough when Dion on Sneyd came on.

I don't mind Sneyd or Dion but both of them together isn't great. Both chaps need someone with more Wattage sitting opposite them. The two together are dull.

humberklog wrote: »
    Sneyd called it with McClean though!

But yeah it was poor enough when Dion on Sneyd came on.

I don't mind Sneyd or Dion but both of them together isn't great. Both chaps need someone with more Wattage sitting opposite them. The two together are dull.

Sneyd was poor, his shout on McClean was to play as part of a midfield 3 in the centre which was odd. If Connolly was available I'd say he'd have started

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

duffman13 wrote: »

That annoyed me too. He’s a poor contributor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Sneyd is up there with Miguel on my 'not listen to the pod' scale just out of sheer inarticulateness. Lump him with the personification of smugness (without any reason to be!) Dion Fanning and you're going to have a bad time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I really like listening to Dion. He's pretty funny. Noticed he was on the Totally Football Show on Thursday too. Has he got another writing gig yet since he left Joe?

He needs another podcast too. Really liked Ireland Unfiltered.

WHy is he gone from Joe anyway? The money bother they had?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dion is pretty smug, but he's intelligent and articulate so I'm okay with him.

Arghus wrote: »
    Dion is pretty smug, but he's intelligent and articulate so I'm okay with him.

Agreed I can listen to him and he offers some decent insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He came out with a cracking one liner about Glenn Hoddle on TTFS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Obrieski wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoy his not so subtle digs at Dunphy (presumably) from their time in the RTE studio?
    They really seem to not get on at all!

Went to a second captains live show years ago, Richie spent about ten minutes completely giving out about the panel. Really hard stuff as I remember where I was thinking Jesus they all have to work together. When the show was released the section wasn't broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Renegadema

What can you do?

Dunphy is clueless.

Richie is a bore.

Dion is a sneery dickhead.

The listener/viewer loses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Went to a second captains live show years ago, Richie spent about ten minutes completely giving out about the panel. Really hard stuff as I remember where I was thinking Jesus they all have to work together. When the show was released the section wasn't broadcast.

In Sadlier's book there's a section on the panel and Dunphy.

They're not friends and if half the stuff Sadlier said is true then there's a very good reason for his animosity to Dunphy.

Dunphy was interviewed after it came out by Paul Kimmage and slagged Sadlier off by saying he didn't even write it himself. Which was extra funny as this was after's Dunphy's podcast on Joe Schmidt's book where he savaged it and Schmidt for not having a ghost writer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

CatFromHue wrote: »

They're not friends and if half the stuff Sadlier said is true then there's a very good reason for his animosity to Dunphy.

Dunphy was interviewed after it came out by Paul Kimmage and slagged Sadlier off by saying he didn't even write it himself. Which was extra funny as this was after's Dunphy's podcast on Joe Schmidt's book where he savaged it and Schmidt for not having a ghost writer!!

"This book hasn't even got an index" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 gk70

Dunphy is just a showman. Very little substance. Hypocritical self promoter. Believe me, have been listening him for over 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Murph's shouts for McCarthy to get off the stage were great today. Boiled my piss listening to him for the whole match yesterday. Shameless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gene wants this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

'The FAI doesn't even have a premium Zoom account, nevermind a bigger plane.' Top notch stuff from Ken Early today on the Bratislava plane disaster today.'Stephen Kenny was mid sentence and the meeting ended.' Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What did Richie say about Dunphy in the book? It was a good bit on the show the other day, Dunphy will just pick out who was missing and build him up.
    gk70 wrote: »
    Dunphy is just a showman. Very little substance. Hypocritical self promoter. Believe me, have been listening him for over 40 years.
    Listening to him slate ken, then lick his arse when they meet is typical Dunphy. Before they meet it was "Ken Early doesn't have a clue, he's not a football man". Then the showdown he was saying Ken Early is probably the best football writer in the country. That's typical dunphy, I'd imagine he told ken he was doing it for both of their ratings before the showdown interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cienciano wrote: »
    Listening to him slate ken, then lick his arse when they meet is typical Dunphy. Before they meet it was "Ken Early doesn't have a clue, he's not a football man". Then the showdown he was saying Ken Early is probably the best football writer in the country. That's typical dunphy, I'd imagine he told ken he was doing it for both of their ratings before the showdown interview.

Dunphy is just like the hundreds of keyboard warriors you see on this site. Wannabe hardman and then when he meets the person he was slating he wets himself

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

US Murphs opening answer to how he felt about the 49ers losing and the Lakers winning the NBA. "I cant believe the polls having biden ahead by ten points" " i have seen this film before".

Shoe horning his self righteousness into every conversation even when he wasn't asked. He's insufferable and his NFL analysis is piss poor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Christ not this bullsh1t again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    US Murphs opening answer to how he felt about the 49ers losing and the Lakers winning the NBA. "I cant believe the polls having biden ahead by ten points" " i have seen this film before".

Shoe horning his self righteousness into every conversation even when he wasn't asked. He's insufferable and his NFL analysis is piss poor.

Don't listen to him if he offends you so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Christ not this bullsh1t again.

Thats exactly my point . Im listening to a sports podcast to escape that ****e. I don't want to talk about politics . Your man cant help himself.

Advertisement