Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Doesny fit the narrative that we are all supposed to love women's football now. No negativity allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

How do you feel about today's podcast? I only saw your post a few minutes ago and I thought that you were being sarcastic, until I saw it was from yesterday.

I don't think that I've ever written a negative post about their podcasts before. I skip over the sports that I don't like, so they don't bother me. But today was easily (in my mind) the most boring thing that I've listened to in ages. They need to know when to pull the plug on these discussions. Maybe it drove me more crazy than it normally would, as I was listening to it while was podding along on a jog, but Jesus Christ!

At least Ken went back to "education" and tied it up, but it was interminable. I could go on ranting about it, but I'll do what they should have done and keep this pretty basic story short.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, sick of hearing about it, glad it wasn't much of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah first half of the episode was shocking. Ken going through all the Irish songs... What's the bloody point. The night after weeks champions League and they spent 40 minutes talking shite. Second half was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

I enjoyed Ken talking shite. Sorry! But that's mainly what I pay. To hear Ken talk shite!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Champions League is usually pretty boring until the knockout stages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I really hope Ken goes to town on Sky's new crusade against referees giving free kicks for blatant fouls. He's always been against the Let it Flow thing so hopefully he brings that hatred back today.

It's a Monday so we will have ken bore us for 45 mins about Pep and klopp. Then we will have someone like Miguel come on and talk about the same thing Ken has just talked about. The Monday pods are normally the worst. Glad they're the free ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I love Ken but he comes out with some baffling stuff at times.

First saying that neutrals want City to destroy Liverpool (clearly not true) and then saying the reason why City fans were singing about Hillsborough is because of VAR decisions.

At least Eoin called him out on both to be fair.

Ken also seems to have a Ronaldo like obsession with criticising Nunez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I mean it's not hard to understand why he might be fascinated by Nunez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I 100% agree that most Irish neutrals want LFC to lose. The reason for this is fairly simple, their fans are very annoying to listen to. There are barely any City fans in Ireland so when they win, nobody has to listen to their fans gloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Did anybody go to the live show with Roddy Collins and Paul Howard last night?

I see today's pod will feature their chat, wonder was there anything extra on the night itself, or just the same as the podcast?

The bit at the end where they randomly let "Branno" ask a question was odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Its depends on your disposition, I support Man Utd myself but don't have childish gloating relationships with my mates( bit of a age thing in fairness), personally can't stand the middle east state owned model of Man City, PSG and Newcastle so there the teams I currently dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,870 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I'm guessing they opened up to questions, and - as so often happens - absolutely nobody raised a hand. So Branno either did to stop the awkward moment, or he was already set up as an emergency just in case option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm honestly surprised anyone would support Liverpool against City. I grew up hating United as they were dominant for 20 years. But they were respected. After all that hatred for united ingrained in me, I'd happily shout for them against City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I totally get why people would shout against Liverpool. Like all of us, I know a colossal amount of Liverpool fans and some of them are the soundest, most fair and knowledgeable fans out there.But, just my totally subjective opinion, they also have an awful lot of downright insufferable fans - who've been particularly hard to bear in recent years.

But, there's no way I could ever root for the likes of Man City: just basically the PR wing of an oil state.

As bad and all as Liverpool are - and they are bad - City, and what they represent - disgust me. It reminds me a bit of that quote from Churchill regarding his alliance with Stalin in WW2:

"If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."

Really enjoyed the Roddy Collins episode. Hilarious stuff can't wait for the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Ahwell

To say that Liverpool have "uniquely insufferable fans" is just bollox. Every club has "an awful lot of downright insufferable fans". The same thing would of been said about Man Utd during the Fergie years - ABUs.

To be fair I don't support man united or Liverpool and I can say both sets of fans have their moments but Liverpool fans in my experience have the bigger potential to be absolutey insufferable to listen to. United fans tend to be rooted when their team does bad whereas pool fans still mouth of. Don't get me started on the "this means more" cringefest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Ahwell

"This means more" was PR bullshit from the club, nothing to do with the supporters.

Wasn't even the club - "This Means More" was the New Balance shirt campaign.

As for this idea in a post above that 'this one group of fans does this thing, but this other group does this thing' -- "United fans tend to be rooted when their team does bad whereas pool fans still mouth off"... fans are just people. The idea that two lads who have everything in life in common, except the name of the team they follow, will somehow have these unique behaviours as a result is kind of insane. Like, it's obviously not true. If the team you follow (from afar especially, in terms of irish EPL fans) is that much of an influence on who you are as a person, then something is quite wrong... but I daresay those people are very very few and far between. Most people are just people, with the same emotional responses and behaviours as the other people around them, regardless of a shirts colour.

Liverpool fans are just the worst. So, so, mawkish. Some of the shot some lads around the area of Dublin I live in have done to show how much they support Liverpool...Jesus.

I think you are being very dismissive of lived experiences of posters that have encountered fans of various clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,967 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Used to work with a lad who thought Munich jokes were the funniest thing ever 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Some of Roddy's hilarious anecdotes weren't quite as hilarious as he thought they were.

Lived experiences are fine, as long as you recognise that it is a small subjective experience, that is no real reflection of a whole fanbase. I'm sure everyone has met a particularly bad group of all sorts of different fans, but to suggest this is how all fans of that club behave - regardless who they are, or where they're from - is obviously silly. All one can really say is 'this one time i met these few tossers who happened to follow this club'.

It's also important to recognise one's own biases. If someone doesn't like a particular club, they're more likely to a) be more annoyed by anything that club/those fans do, and b) notice anything those specific fans do while not noticing the exact same things by fans of other clubs.

The objective truth is that of all the things that impact who you are, and how you behave, the team you watch play football (especially as a foreign fan) is very very far down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think Roddy should replace Richie as the host of “the players chair”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'll give his book a go out of curiosity but I don't 't find him anywhere near as funny as he's made out to be

Advertisement