Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Tv Stick - €26.69 from DHGate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Marhay70 wrote: »
    What do you mean "manually set it up"?

If it's finding your router but not connecting to it....

I'm sure I saw a manual/advanced setup option when I was connecting mine but didn't need it thankfully

Connecting to the 2.4gHz SSID was enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

fdevine wrote: »
    If it's finding your router but not connecting to it....

I'm sure I saw a manual/advanced setup option when I was connecting mine but didn't need it thankfully

Connecting to the 2.4gHz SSID was enough

Didn't notice that option. Cant even imagine how you would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Happy enough with this stick also the fact it works off the tv usb for power helps. Now if only I could get sky go to work on it i'd be sorted .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

A lad I know went to the shop of photos and created a proof of purchase document for less than €22, the stick was delivered and didn't have to pay any extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ooter wrote: »
    A lad I know went to the shop of photos and created a proof of purchase document for less than €22, the stick was delivered and didn't have to pay any extra charges.
    Loads do and have done that. It's not worth it imo.
    If you get one person who is a stickler for everything you will be facing a massive fine, and once it is submitted, no turning back if they see another invoice from the seller that doesn't match. They sometimes also ask for bank statement and/or paypal transaction ID.

• Advertisement

Not impressed with these at all, can't get all 4 on it or BBC iPlayer or VM player, rte player installed yesterday and worked but won't work at all for me now. Haven't tried Netflix but YouTube seemed to work fine anyway.
    Only positive is I can put my IPTV app on it so I might get some use out of it.
    Doesn't seem to be any way to sideload apps on to it. :(

Not impressed with these at all, can't get all 4 on it or BBC iPlayer or VM player, rte player installed yesterday and worked but won't work at all for me now. Haven't tried Netflix but YouTube seemed to work fine anyway.

You can sideload, I'm sure all the usual methods work.

One way is to install TV File Commander, log into one of your cloud storage accounts in that, and then install APKs you've uploaded from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nah.... I don't buy that at all mate. :cool:

McMurphy wrote: »
    Nah.... I don't buy that at all mate. :cool:

Honestly, I've no reason to lie, I was watching the young offenders on it yesterday and today that app wouldn't even load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Suckit wrote: »
    If anyone still looking for one of these, it's available here for €21.61 with code QPONY828
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001176444488.html

Tried that code there not valid I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

While there is no native All4 app you can still cast from your phone as it has a built in chromecast, and same with BBC iPlayer if you have VPN. As for RTE Player I have noticed the native app pretty much never works, not sure why but I normally get a tiny android logo in top left corner and that's it. I put it down to a bad app from RTE but again you can still cast from your phone so it's not a big deal. You can also use the remote to pause, rewind, fast forward etc when you're casting apps so you don't have to keep using your phone as a remote.

This is based on the older MiBox S which I'm happy with. With the mi stick you're basically getting a chromecast with a remote and a device you can do a hell of a lot more tinkering with for the same price so from that perspective it seems like a no brainer imo. Also you should be able to sideload apps handy enough, just not using physical media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

grimm2005 wrote: »
    While there is no native All4 app you can still cast from your phone as it has a built in chromecast, and same with BBC iPlayer if you have VPN. As for RTE Player I have noticed the native app pretty much never works, not sure why but I normally get a tiny android logo in top left corner and that's it. I put it down to a bad app from RTE but again you can still cast from your phone so it's not a big deal. You can also use the remote to pause, rewind, fast forward etc when you're casting apps so you don't have to keep using your phone as a remote.

This is based on the older MiBox S which I'm happy with. With the mi stick you're basically getting a chromecast with a remote and a device you can do a hell of a lot more tinkering with for the same price so from that perspective it seems like a no brainer imo. Also you should be able to sideload apps handy enough, just not using physical media.
    Does Dplay work on the stick?

grimm2005 wrote: »
    not sure why but I normally get a tiny android logo in top left corner and that's it.

Yeah that's what I was getting yesterday. I have the rte player on a now tv stick and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Honestly, I've no reason to lie, I was watching the young offenders on it yesterday and today that app wouldn't even load.

It was a joke - the RTE player app is....

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Got mine today, no customs charged. Package said TV Stick value $15 and had a postage label from Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

same no customs charge .. got the email from customs and sent the screen shot of 26 euro got email saying no fee..RTE app working so far.. running well happy with it to date

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

How are people finding the stick?

I haven't had an android tv device before, I was using Kodi. Definitely it is great for IPTV, using Amazon Prime it does lag a bit and sometimes the stream stalls/buffers whereas it didn't previously using other streams on Kodi. It would tempt me to go for a better Android box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've tossed it in a box of bits, barely used.

Works fine when in same room as the router, then when I'm 1 floor away (above the router) it'll connect to SSID but have no internet - renders it pretty useless for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Grassey wrote: »
    I've tossed it in a box of bits, barely used.

Works fine when in same room as the router, then when I'm 1 floor away (above the router) it'll connect to SSID but have no internet - renders it pretty useless for me.

Stick it up on adverts or something.

I do think for streaming movies or that, you really want ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Watching a few YouTube videos last night. There was a definite lag in the voice sync. Plugged in Chromecast and it was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Have used it only for plex so far, no lag but certain files have very low sound think its a certain codec is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Got a registered letter from An Post today asking if I had received this and asking me to confirm as they had a query from Brussels! I did get it and paid the import fees so wonder what thats about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

tnegun wrote: »
    Got a registered letter from An Post today asking if I had received this and asking me to confirm as they had a query from Brussels! I did get it and paid the import fees so wonder what thats about?

Just the EU keeping tabs on you! Never heard of anyone getting a letter like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

I refused to pay the import fees - opened a dispute with DH gate and managed to get a full refund. Just for anyone in the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

tnegun wrote: »

Same, on Friday. First time ever getting one. Odd one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

fdevine wrote: »
    Same, on Friday. First time ever getting one. Odd one

Anyone reply to this. What's it about? I got one now. Paid the duty on it already

Is anyone else getting an annoying screen constantly popping up asking to point the remote at the tv and press the buttons either side of the back button?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i have mine a few weeks... firstly got away with no customs. got the email off them and sent them the invoice showing Euro 26... no charge.
    super easy to setup . only use it for netflix / youtube / rteplayer and one app i side loaded ( using downloader) ...all work well. have a firestick in the other tv and much prefer this.. especially as i couldnt get a firestick off amazon directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Is this still available ? How does it compare to 4gb/32gb chinese boxes in performance ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is this still available ? How does it compare to 4gb/32gb chinese boxes in performance ? Thanks
    It will work well with official apps but will struggle with others.
    It depends on what other boxes and firmware you are referring to.
    In most cases, it wouldn't compare to them for performance..
    The Mi Box S (for example)is 2gb/8gb and is better for often only €12 more.

https://9to5google.com/2020/09/08/xiaomi-mi-tv-stick-review-android-tv/

Advertisement