Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Tv Stick - €26.69 from DHGate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭unhappyBB

Just received mine today. It had the yellow 'not compliant with EU regulations...' sticker on it but I wasn't charged by customs.
    The customs declaration stated Android stick, value US$15.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Suckit wrote: »
    There is a negligible amount up to €26 or €6 vat.

I think it is up to their discretion whether or not they want to go after it if it is only slightly above the €26 or €6 vat.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf
    NOTE: Until 1st January 2021, no import VAT is due to be paid for goods with a customs value below €22 imported into Ireland. This exemption is abolished as of 1st January 2021. Thus, from 1st January 2021, all goods entering the EU will be subject to VAT irrespective of their value.
    If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of Customs Duty or Excise Duty.
    NOTE: This exemption is abolished as of 1st January 2021. Thus, from 1st January 2021, all goods entering the EU will be subject to VAT irrespective of the amount due and all VAT will be collected.

Does this mean they will collect vat on a €2 wish order for example, that will be the end of those type of websites. whose going to pay an post an extra 10 handling charge just to get a €2 item

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

omega42 wrote: »
    Does this mean they will collect vat on a €2 wish order for example, that will be the end of those type of websites. whose going to pay an post an extra 10 handling charge just to get a €2 item
    Loads of sites already have workarounds, although they were expected to be clamped down on this year.

I can't imagine that there will still be a €10 handling fee for every item.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

I got an email from An Post this morning looking for €16.06 to be collected. Think I'll stick with the firestick from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

omega42 wrote: »

As far as the EU are concerned, yes! Sweden did it to counteract the cheap, VAT free chinese imports https://www.thelocal.se/20180416/sweden-forced-to-return-400000-packages-to-china-and-other-non-eu-countries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

They will likely be destroyed, and not sent back.

they prob bring then home

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Liam hit me for €16.06 too.

Strange that its random.

Liam hit me for €16.06 too.

Strange that its random.
    It could be down currency fluctuation.. The days that some ordered may have fallen lower than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

How do they get the email id to send the payment notification?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    It is probably on a database with the order number so that they or the courier can contact you and get the correct information that they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

coldfire1x wrote: »

They sent a letter looking for proof of purchase, you could send the reply via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

It could be down currency fluctuation.. The days that some ordered may have fallen lower than others.
    Nope that ain't it, Revenue set exchange rates they use for every month.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭cassette50

I got the letter from An Post and sent them the confirmation email together with a copy of the transaction from my credit card statement to confirm the amount.

The total value of the transaction was $30.50/€26.04 and my package was released without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just arrived. No charge from an post either.

Heading to a funeral. Will test later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

cassette50 wrote: »
    I got the letter from An Post and sent them the confirmation email together with a copy of the transaction from my credit card statement to confirm the amount.

The total value of the transaction was $30.50/€26.04 and my package was released without charge.

You made by a penny under the 6€ limit...
    Oh what a difference a penny makes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

I paid €26.45 . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Mine arrived this morning from a seller on aliexpress, cost me €27.06, seller had marked the packet 15.00 euro though, opened it quickly this morning, found the setup strange as it didn't have Ireland as a country and the Versions of English were Indian US and Canadian.

Didn't have time to do much, so i'll have a play around after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

paddy19 wrote: »
    You made by a penny under the 6€ limit...
    Oh what a difference a penny makes...

But the limit is €22.

How were some released without charge and others charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

cassette50 wrote: »

Did you get a letter from An Post or Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    But the limit is €22.

How were some released without charge and others charged?

It's a weird one. The limit is €22 but if the VAT is less than €6 they won't look for it. :confused:

• Advertisement

Finally sent payment confirmation. Paid €26.34, have to pay €16.05 on delivery.

Got my device. It did come from Belgium but had a country of origin as CN. :s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Raoul wrote: »
    Got my device. It did come from Belgium but had a country of origin as CN. :s.

Mine is the same, WTF. Not much point in buying from an EU warehouse at what is usually a higher price and then being hit for import charges. There must be a comeback against DH here.
    Country of origin means nothing really, you could go into your local Tesco and buy something with China as Country of origin, be hard not to in fact. Point is, you are purchasing in an EU country.

Also the value on the item was 15 dollars.

Raoul wrote: »
    Also the value on the item was 15 dollars.

Yep, but Customs have every right to query that, which is why they look for a confirmation invoice.

To add insult to injury, can't get the %&@$% thing to work. Instructions are shi*e. Connects to wifi and then won't download anything because it says it's not connected to wifi. 43 euro destined for the bin methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭cassette50

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Did you get a letter from An Post or Revenue?

I received a Notice of Arrival of Post from Athlone Mails Centre and they request that you send a copy of the invoice to a revenue email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

Good idea, the folks in Revenue will just go "Hey look ! A Boardsie got a way better deal on that stick than all the others. Go him !"

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Paid An Post 16.03 today for it.
    I know its a basic model and the reviews are crap but happy I got it, I will make use of it in the bedroom or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SSeanSS

PreCocious wrote: »
    Good idea, the folks in Revenue will just go "Hey look ! A Boardsie got a way better deal on that stick than all the others. Go him !"

yeah maybe, or else they might just send "Your package has been processed and should be with you shortly.

There is no additional charge due."

who knows

Advertisement