Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

if he has such obvious mental decline why is trump claiming he is on drugs to prove his performance?

Trump says a lot of things, outside of their obvious entertainment value, i would not take them too seriously.

Look, just because Biden is, clearly, the more decent person, does not mean he is up to this job. The videos are scary, he seems to completely lose his train of thought, he can't remember words, he gets completely lost. It is actually worse than the republicans were making it out to be. How on earth did the choice come down to these two old men!? To an outsider, Biden appears to be a worse candidate than Hillary. I give up, but i will definitely be watching the debates, if nothing else, they do do great entertainment in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Rezident wrote: »
    Trump says a lot of things, outside of their obvious entertainment value, i would not take them too seriously.

Look, just because Biden is, clearly, the more decent person, does not mean he is up to this job. The videos are scary, he seems to completely lose his train of thought, he can't remember words, he gets completely lost. It is actually worse than the republicans were making it out to be. How on earth did the choice come down to these two old men!? To an outsider, Biden appears to be a worse candidate than Hillary. I give up, but i will definitely be watching the debates, if nothing else, they do do great entertainment in the US.

Did you watch his town hall. Compare that to Trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you mean the doctored videos that show him out of context?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

Igotadose wrote: »
    Aha. A new source of the Biden can't speak lie. Joe Rogan's show, shows doctored videos.

Watch the debate tonight, come back to us tomorrow if you think Biden can't speak.

Watch it unedited, it'll be on Youtube.

Yes I will watch it, even politics is exciting in the US!

Have you watched the videos of Biden? Are you choosing to believe that they are all fake news? Really? That sounds like something Trump would say!

Is there an alternative explanation other than to just call everything "fake news"? Seriously? If Biden does not have a medical issue here, what is the alternative hypothesis?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes I will watch it, even politics is exciting in the US!

Have you watched the videos of Biden? Are you choosing to believe that they are all fake news? Really? That sounds like something Trump would say!

Is there an alternative explanation other than to just call everything "fake news"? Seriously? If Biden does not have a medical issue here, what is the alternative hypothesis?

As a general rule for the videos of Biden that are doing the rounds , if the clips are less than about 20 seconds , they have been edited to remove context etc. to maximise the "Joe Biden is sufering from Dementia" angle.

If you look back in this thread there are/were a number of posters that would post some of these clips pretty much daily , followed shortly afterwards by someone else posting a link to a longer version of the clip that showed that there really wasn't anything to see there.

In fact I'm fairly confident in saying I don't think that there has been a single video posted here showing Bidens supposed "Cognitive decline" that wasn't thoroughly rebutted and refuted pretty quickly and easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Can you link to three of these please.

Also, watch these and tell me how Trump is any better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

^^^^^

There it is again....mention the failings of Biden, and its the usual "but trump did this...."

As if that somehow negates the mental issues of biden.

Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Cody montana

^^^^^

There it is again....mention the failings of Biden, and its the usual "but trump did this...."

Priceless.

Do you ever stop whinging?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

^^^^^

Priceless.

There it is again....mention the failings of Trump, and its the usual "but Biden did this...."

As if that somehow negates the mental issues of Trump.

Priceless.

Both sides do this - don't pretend otherwise. And why? Because both men are going head to head in this election - they are going to be compared in everything that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Can you link to three of these please.

Also, watch these and tell me how Trump is any better.

We know that Trump is mad as a brush. We know.

• Advertisement

A border wall update from CBP to prepare you for the debate tonight. -341 miles of new wall complete
    -36 miles in areas where no previous barriers existed
    -27 of those 36 miles are a secondary layer of wall.
    -Trump has said 450 miles of wall will be completed by year’s end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

A border wall update from CBP to prepare you for the debate tonight. -341 miles of new wall complete
    -36 miles in areas where no previous barriers existed
    -27 of those 36 miles are a secondary layer of wall.
    -Trump has said 450 miles of wall will be completed by year’s end.

How much of that is falling down?

How much has Mexico paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

^^^^^

Priceless.
    There it is again....pointing this out for what must be at least the 50th time

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There it is again....mention the failings of Trump, and its the usual "but Biden did this...."

Priceless.

Both sides do this - don't pretend otherwise. And why? Because both men are going head to head in this election - they are going to be compared in everything that happens.

Elections are never about "Pick the one that's perfect" they are ALWAYS about picking the one that's least worst - Everywhere the world over , always that way.

Based on the polling thus far it would seem that a majority of the electorate view Biden as the least worst of the available choices.

He is also the best suited to win this election for the Democratic party - He is a "horses for courses" choice simple as that.

He reaches sufficiently far into the GOP Overton window that he secures the swing States that others in the Democratic party could not.

He is the dull , boring, pragmatic choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

^^^^^

Priceless.

When you have to choose between eating an overcooked steak or drinking bleach it makes more sense to discuss how much worse one option is than being consumed by how the other one isn't perfect.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Elections are never about "Pick the one that's perfect" they are ALWAYS about picking the one that's least worst - Everywhere the world over , always that way.

Based on the polling thus far it would seem that a majority of the electorate view Biden as the least worst of the available choices.

He is also the best suited to win this election for the Democratic party - He is a "horses for courses" choice simple as that.

He reaches sufficiently far into the GOP Overton window that he secures the swing States that others in the Democratic party could not.

He is the dull , boring, pragmatic choice.

And this is why I anticipate a low turnout, even lower than their dreadful turnout.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    How much of that is falling down?

How much has Mexico paid for?

Mexico paid for zero.

The one falling down was via gofundme and webuildthewall.
    And the organisers and Steve Bannon got arrested for robbing some of the money.

And this is why I anticipate a low turnout, even lower than their dreadful turnout.

Totally disagree - I suspect we'll see record levels of voting.

And it's already happening
    Democrats who didn't vote in 2016 are requesting 2020 ballots at higher rates than their GOP counterparts. The most striking example is Pennsylvania, where nearly 175,000 Democrats who sat out the last race have requested ballots, more than double the number of Republicans, according to an analysis of voter rolls by the Democratic firm TargetSmart.

Though the figures are preliminary, they provide a window into Democratic enthusiasm ahead of the election and offer a warning for Republicans. While Democrats stockpile votes and bring in new supporters, Trump’s campaign is relying on a smooth Election Day turnout operation at a time when it’s confronting an out-of-control pandemic and a mounting cash crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

When you have to choose between eating an overcooked steak or drinking bleach it makes more sense to discuss how much worse one option is than being consumed by how the other one isn't perfect.
    I don't know man. That steak looks a bit over done. I know that I have to drink the bleach or eat the stake but that steak isn't as good as the one I got in rustic stone the other night.

I'm leaning towards the bleach actually. There's no way I'm eating that steak. Bleach it is.

That's what I hear whenever a Trump supporter goes on about cognitive ability or corruption.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Priceless.

I know both sides do it....thats exactly the point.
    which part of this are you not grasping.

you can compare the candidates to each other, but saying trump is this and that, does not negate biden seems to have some mental issues.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, trump might have them too, and his mental issues are another issue BUT it does not mean speaking about Trump means Bidens issues are any less,

if your reply to Bidens obvious cognitive problems is that Trump has them too....that proves my point neither of the 2 are worth a flying fu(k.

How are you not grasping this ?

• Advertisement

but it dont change my point which has always been that both of them are utterly useless,

and referring to how bleach is worse than the "overcooked steak", does not mean you should be eating the overcooked steak.,

both are bad...thats the point.
    A country like the USA unable to come up with a single decent candidate is the real issue.

but it dont change my point which has always been that both of them are utterly useless,

and referring to how bleach is worse than the "overcooked steak", does not mean you should be eating the overcooked steak.,

both are bad...thats the point.
    A country like the USA unable to come up with a single decent candidate is the real issue.

Indeed - I think everyone here will stipulate to that , but to quote Donald J Trump himself - "It is what it is"

So - Given that the choices are fixed and set , and you have to pick one , what now?

To continue the analogy from above , given the available options (which we have stipulated to , are crap) , you now only have 3 choices - Drink Bleach , Eat a mediocre Steak or starve by not making a decision.

What's it going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Going from the early casting of votes (in person I believe). there's been a million already, in 2016 at the early point of casting votes there was 96 thousand.. make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭randd1

Mexico paid for zero.

The one falling down was via gofundme and webuildthewall.
    And the organisers and Steve Bannon got arrested for robbing some of the money.

The obvious thing would have been to pay Mexico to build the wall. Not only would it have been done, it would have been done at the fraction of the cost.

And it wouldn't have made a difference to Mexico to do it seeing as they use boats and tunnels to get people across. Pure profit and it would have been a serious works programme for unemployed people from their view, and nothing would have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Indeed - I think everyone here will stipulate to that , but to quote Donald J Trump himself - "It is what it is"

So - Given that the choices are fixed and set , and you have to pick one , what now?

To continue the analogy from above , given the available options (which we have stipulated to , are crap) , you now only have 3 choices - Drink Bleach , Eat a mediocre Steak or starve by not making a decision.

What's it going to be?

Id rather "starve" than vote for someone who I don't believe in or even like to be the President and represent me or else write in my choice. If Americans want to change this 2 party system they have to stop participating in it. It doesn't make sense that you wouldn't like the candidate or believe he'll do anything for you but vote for him anyway.

What's it going to be?

If I were an American I would starve on the principle that I would be embarrassed to be in any way responsible for either being in power.

As an Irishman, my main interest is watching the Biden fans trying to pretend because Trump is worse, that biden is somehow not abysmal in his own right,

It Trumps wins, it would be hilarious in a warped way, if only to see the back peddling and the excuses coming out and of course the crying.

If Biden gets in then his inability will come to the fore and that too will be hilarious in a warped way also.

As a neutral I find the whole thing sort of fascinating and more entertaining than the sh1t shows that currently are on tv.

Going from the early casting of votes (in person I believe). there's been a million already, in 2016 at the early point of casting votes there was 96 thousand.. make of that what you will.

I'd be shocked if turnout surpasses 60%. Interest among Americans in politics is evidently quite low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

If I were an American I would starve on the principle that I would be embarrassed to be in any way responsible for either being in power.

As an Irishman, my main interest is watching the Biden fans trying to pretend because Trump is worse, that biden is somehow not abysmal in his own right,

It Trumps wins, it would be hilarious in a warped way, if only to see the back peddling and the excuses coming out and of course the crying.

If Biden gets in then his inability will come to the fore and that too will be hilarious in a warped way also.

As a neutral I find the whole thing sort of fascinating and more entertaining than the sh1t shows that currently are on tv.

Biden is an incredibly weak candidate. You'll never get the never trumpers on here to admit that but we all know deep down they realise that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭eire4

I'd be shocked if turnout surpasses 60%. Interest among Americans in politics is evidently quite low.

If voter turnout even hit 60% that would be stunning given the typically pathetic voter turnout in the US. Voter turnout is more likely in the mid 50's. In 2016 it was 55.5%. The last time voter turnout got to 60% was in 1968 when it was 60.7%.

• Advertisement

Biden getting in and making a mess of things ensures a Republican will win next time, not that I believe either party make much of a difference.

The cycle in America is that a Republican gets 2 terms and then the Democrats get back in for 2 terms.

There isn't now nor in 2016 vast support for Trump, Clinton, Biden or whoever - Americans usually vote on party lines, the way their parents voted etc.

I suspect that most Americans, outside of the outrage bubble, dislike all politicians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement