Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's not caring about who is telling the truth because for all we know they could both be lying. It's about who am I more inclined to believe and in this instance I believe his version of events, simple as.

As for it being on CNN, it's an interview with a person so CNN aren't saying anything in this instance as it's not a CNN reporter or employee speaking. It's the person speaking that I am interested in not the medium that it is being delivered through.

What does Trump do when someone speaks out against him, whether those accusations be true or not? Look at what happened to Alexander Vidman. Do you think that is an environment that encourages people to speak out when they have concerns. That whistleblower had nothing to gain but everything to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Biden's townhall went well. Pretty standard fare and not a complete shambles like the Trump one. Looks like the main attack points from the Trumpists are that Biden got within 6 feet of Anderson Cooper on the stage - the irony being Trump hosting mega super spreader events with no social distancing at all. And the other angle is just straight up manipulation of video like this pathetic effort by the official Trump campaign twitter account. Absolutely embarrassing.

This blogger, a long-time rabid anti-Trumper, did capture the disease hypocrisy inherent in the #IMPOTUS behavior at his Nuremberg rallies and cheered on by his clapping seals:

"The next governor who doesn't want Donald Trump to have one of his experimental virus incubator rallies should insist that they'll allow it on one condition: Trump has to descend from the podium and greet people. No f***** mask. No f****** gloves. He has to walk among the unwashed, untested, unsafe masses and inhale their stench and, possibly, their disease. That's it. You do that, *************, and you go right on and encourage your followers to play death-virus roulette."

https://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2020/09/trump-in-battle-to-death-our-deaths-not.html

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah I would still vote for Trump because I could never vote for Biden and not voting isn't an option for me.

Why couldn’t you vote for Biden?

Pedro K wrote: »
    Does anybody know where one can watch the whole Trump Town Hall with ABC?

I linked to all the QA clips earlier in the thread, on the night in question about one hour behind broadcast if you want to scroll back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Overheal wrote: »

Maybe he is working class.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

That’s no answer. I’m working class and millions of working class Americans will be voting for him. I’d like to hear from the poster who said it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

President Turd has won an Ig Nobel prize (well he shares the prize with a few other fukwits ) so another feather in his cap .
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/09/bellowing-alligators-and-frozen-poop-knives-the-2020-ig-nobel-prizes/
    MEDICAL EDUCATION

Citation: "Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Narendra Modi of India, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the USA, Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan, for using the COVID-19 viral pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can."

"The citation tells the story, which is both large and simple," master of ceremonies (and editor of the magazine Annals of Improbable Research) Marc Abraham told Ars about this prize. "Part of what we're doing, always, is trying to make it easy for people to start thinking about, and really discussing factual things. Sometimes a little vagueness makes it easier for them to spark a good discussion." So what do all the aforementioned countries have in common? National leaders who ignored scientific expertise, instituting disastrous policies for dealing with a global pandemic. The result: those countries combined have over 18 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and more than a half-million deaths to date—and counting. (The US alone accounts for nearly 200,000 of those deaths.) "Especially in this case we hope people will discuss the difference a single decision has made and also might still make as things continue to unfold," Abraham added.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Overheal wrote: »

I think he's a terrible candidate 40+ years in public office and what has he achieved?

Therefore, I don't see how he will be able to achieve anything if he's given the chance to be president.

I'm not saying that Trump is a way better candidate either as he clearly has his own faults.

This presidential election is like that south park episode when they had 2 options to choose from: A Giant Douche or a Turd Sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think he's a terrible candidate 40+ years in public office and what has he achieved?

Therefore, I don't see how he will be able to achieve anything if he's given the chance to be president.

I'm not saying that Trump is a way better candidate either he clearly has his faults.

This presidential election is like that south park episode when they had 2 options to choose from: A Giant Douche or a Turd Sandwich.

You really should familiarize yourself with the US system of government.

Biden's a Senator. "Achieved" is a tough one, as it's up to Congress to pass legislation a Senator might introduce. Like the ADA, which Biden championed. Or the ppACA which he helped get votes for.

But, you're right, there's currently a Turd Sandwich in the WH that needs badly to be flushed. Even Mr. Cranky the Christmas Poo would be better.

Igotadose wrote: »
    You really should familiarize yourself with the US system of government.

Biden's a Senator. "Achieved" is a tough one, as it's up to Congress to pass legislation a Senator might introduce. Like the ADA, which Biden championed. Or the ppACA which he helped get votes for.

But, you're right, there's currently a Turd Sandwich in the WH that needs badly to be flushed. Even Mr. Cranky the Christmas Poo would be better.

That last paragraph made me chuckle :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why?

Did Trump or the GOP do something to help the Working class that I missed?

Because they are worse off under Trump than there were under Obama
    More than half of Americans had to make ends meet in 2018 on less money than in 2016, analysis of new income and tax data shows.

The nearly 87 million taxpayers making less than $50,000 had to get by in 2018 on $307 less per household than in 2016, the year before Trump took office.

That 57% of American households were better off under Obama contradicts Trump's often-repeated claim he created the best economy ever until the pandemic.

But for the wealthy??

Those making $50,000 to $100,000 for example, paid just three-fourths of 1 percentage point less of their incomes to our federal government. People making $2 million to $2.5 million saw their effective tax rate fall by about three times that much.

Now let's compare two groups, those making $50,000 to $100,000 and those declaring $500,000 to $1 million. The second group averaged nine times as much income as the first group in 2018.

Under the Trump tax law, the first group's annual income taxes declined on average by $143, while the second group's tax reduction averaged $17,800.

Put another way, a group that made nine times as much money enjoyed about 125 times as much in income tax savings.

Seems to be a lot of confirmation bias in that, as you can't be seriously implying that his career has 0 achievements. That said, is it intellectually honest to compare the role of a single Senator (where everything is by definition a group effort), or even the Vice President (who is, in effect, just a swing vote in the Senate) to the Presidency? Hardly. As if suggesting Senator Romney's inability to pass such and such bill, for example, is proof positive that he would be an ineffectual leader once given disposal to issue vetoes, executive orders, sign bills into law, command the armed forces, etc. and indeed any minority party legislator right now could be accused of "doing nothing" because literally hundreds of bills sit on the Senate Majority Leader's desk who has the sole prerogative of bringing matters to the floor of their chamber or not, and thus acts currently as a proxy veto for the President.

Now, if I'm mistaken and you actually had an open mind to discuss his career accomplishments we could actually do that, or, you can go easily find lists of those accomplishments already compiled online. To say or imply he's done effectively nothing is an intellectually lazy argument, and that would apply as well for anyone arguing that Trump has achieved naught either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

What policies does Biden advocate that would hurt the working class, especially in opposition to Trump?

What policies does Trump have that are explicitly designed to help working class and lower income families?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Biden had a very embarrassing senior moment which clearly showed his dementia when he discussed the principle biological methods of two possible vaccines (RNA/DNA molecular structure versus immune system enhancement) and also details of the chemical specifics in how they have to be stored and transported. Morto for him and not a patch on Trump's intellectual "herd mentality" statement. :pac:

I watched the whole thing. Nope, that did not stand out for me as you described it. I thought he had good insight into the two vaccines (described the difference between them) and how one of them had to be stored at minus 70 or something??? i.e. that the logistics of getting them disseminated could not be underestimated....versus what Trump is saying about "everyone will get a vaccine"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

amdublin wrote: »
    I watched the whole thing. Nope, that did not stand out for me as you described it. I thought he had good insight into the two vaccines (described the difference between them) and how one of them had to be stored at minus 70 or something??? i.e. that the logistics of getting them disseminated could not be underestimated....versus what Trump is saying about "everyone will get a vaccine"

I think there was some sarcasm there.

A contrast between the constant suggestions that Biden isn't up to the task with his ability to communicate complex subjects to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

amdublin wrote: »

It was sarcasm to play off the usual Trumpist angle that Biden has dementia and has no idea what's going on around him.

The silence around Biden's townhall is deafening from the usual suspects. It was grand, nothing spectacular, but about a million times better than Trump's fiasco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It was sarcasm to play off the usual Trumpist angle that Biden has dementia and has no idea what's going on around him.

The silence around Biden's townhall is deafening from the usual suspects. It was grand, nothing spectacular, but about a million times better than Trump's fiasco.

Lol! Thanks for clarifying. Went way over my head lol

I agree with your summary above

The most I've heard said are conspiracies being floated by Bill O'Reilly and others that he rehearsed the whole thing and knew the questions ahead of time.

I just think they weren't prepared for a Biden that is well versed on the subject matter and speaks cogently. Trump has spent the last year+ setting the bar so low for Biden's cognitive function that he could drive over that bar with a Roomba at this stage. Either way these are the tactics they will use until election day to perpetuate Qanon nonsense and contest the base legitimacy of Biden's campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

It was not grand. It was very low energy and uninspiring.

He looks very fragile and you have to take your Joe blinkers off and realise that.

He looks very fragile and you have to take your Joe blinkers off and realise that.

Where was he low energy and uninspiring? Can you point out any particular moments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

How do you move between your reality and ours without getting stuck? Is it some kind of quantum bridge? How do you overcome the possible transfer of exotic particles between one reality and the other?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He spoke in fully coherent sentences.
    He had empathy and compassion.

You might not be used to it with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Aren't those the exact words Fox news used to describe Trumps town Hall? Or was it his acceptance speech?

As for fragile lol, the man was out riding a bike while Trump struggled to walk down a ramp!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Aren't those the exact words Fox news used to describe Trumps town Hall? Or was it his acceptance speech?

As for fragile lol, the man was out riding a bike while Trump struggled to walk down a ramp!

Biden stood for virtually the entire townhall while Trump was rooted in a chair during his. Fragile lol :pac:

Biden stood for virtually the entire townhall while Trump was rooted in a chair during his. Fragile lol :pac:

Afraid he would fall over....Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭briany

When pushing the idea that Joe Biden has dementia, longform video of him speaking does not aid that endeavour. That is instead achieved with short video clips, strung together to make it seem like his whole speeches are gaffe-fests, which Trump supporters lap up, because they are, in the main, in no way bothered to question what is being put in front of them.

Afraid he would fall over....Timberrrrrrrr

If I were Biden I'd start messing with Trump supporters and start hopping on one leg... While saying "person woman tv".

If I were Biden I'd start messing with Trump supporters and start hopping on one leg... While saying "person woman tv".

Peter piper picked a pick of pickled peppers

Your turn Mr Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Peter piper picked a pick of pickled peppers

Your turn Mr Trump

Or just ask him to name the state he is in, I wonder what this one would sound like if he tried to read it of a teleprompter: Arkansas

• Advertisement

Don't know if this has already been posted but it's a great ad by the Trump campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement