Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It really needs to be cut down to 4 or 5 days from a racing perspective.

Economically speaking 7 days is great

• Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

everyone knows galway isn't group racing but theres always some idiot every year telling us how awful it is, at least its competitive unlike gosden and o'brien hoovering up

The meeting at Galway tomorrow is a little better than the meeting at Ayr.

It's competitive yet elliot or mullins win the top races at Galway most years

Same thing no?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Absolute bog standard racing taking place on a dog track. It's a social event and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

lemush wrote: »
    Absolute bog standard racing taking place on a dog track. It's a social event and nothing else.

This man knows his stuff. Galway is a kip too. Come to Dublin, where the stout won't make you pout.

This message was brought to you by Tourism Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Every year the same non sense repeated over and over again.

Summer National Hunt. Not winter.

Summer flat with a very tough track, 1m 2 constantly turning.

I'm really sorry if you lost your bollocks in prior years :):):D:D

Just ignore it ok. Knock yourself out at Goodwood. Its not much better bar the panama hats and its soul-less - Ive been then 3 times. Utter shaight bar the view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

everyone knows galway isn't group racing but theres always some idiot every year telling us how awful it is, at least its competitive unlike gosden and o'brien hoovering up

That's the problem. 'Everyone' doesn't know. When you have the national broadcaster elevating it to an almost mythical status, yes, I do despair.

It is a social occasion, dragged out for 7 days to give as much economic benefit to the local area. It is not Leopardstown at Christmas or February's Dublin Racing Festival or the 2 days in September, Irish Champion Weekend. That's top quality racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

I don't see the problem with 7 days, what would be the difference in moving it back to 4 day and put the same races on in Tramore or mallow or wherever the other days.

I think the likes of Galway and for others Listowel is where people would love to have a winner, it might not have the graded races but it has a wide range of races, 2 50-70 races today there never going to be world beaters but someone owns them and is paying to have them trained and many a small owner would lover to have a runner in Galway or Listowel.

Somebody mentioned Ayr as a comparison have a look at the prize money differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Day Two Selections:

18.15 - Mythologic - 8/1 E/W
    18.45 - Njord - 10/1 E/W
    19.45 - Mulzamm - 5/1
    20.15 - King Pellinor - 16/1 E/W

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's really suffering this year because of the lack of crowds. No matter how they tried on RTE coverage, they get away from the fact that three of the four races they should yesterday were bog standard low grade handicaps that would every other day of the year would never be near RTE tv coverage and they don't have all the usual social stuff to cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's good competitive racing just cause you can't back a winner doesn't mean its ****e and considering the ****e that ran at ascot goodwood will be no better

You can't be serious

Galway is a social event, nothing more. Racing is bang average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

Think the drop back to 7f will benefit Auxilia 5.45. Likes to be up with the pace and if can break well from stall 8 could be hard to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

This guy!!!
    I love Galway, I prefer Galway, but.... In terms of quality Galway is to Goodwood what Offaly to the Dubs!!
    Stradivarius and Battash are running at Goodwood.
    By contrast the favs for the 2 big races at Galway are Easy Game and Aramon FFS man

LEAVE OFFALY OUT OF THIS ROGER

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cal4567 wrote: »
    When you have the national broadcaster elevating it to an almost mythical status, yes, I do despair.
    Don't let it get to you, it's not worth it.

They are lashing into Charlie Byrne's horse in the last anyway. Crazy price considering the number of entries in a handicap race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

they lashed into CB's horse in the last yesterday and it came down the field so I'm going e/w on JOBs horse BLIGH in the last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

They are lashing into Charlie Byrne's horse in the last anyway. Crazy price considering the number of entries in a handicap race.

Where are you seeing this?

He opened up at 5/2 last night. He's still that and 9/4?

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this?

He opened up at 5/2 last night. He's still that and 9/4?
    I saw 5's on oddschecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

GALWAY 18:15
    5. In From The Cold
    7/1

GALWAY 18:45
    2. Georgeville
    10/1

GALWAY 19:15
    3. Darkened
    15/2

GALWAY 19:45
    8. Loaded - Win
    12/1

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

Only one I backed today is Tauran Shanan in 6.45 for Jesse 5/1. C&D winner and recent spin at Cork should have him spot on here. Yard confident of a big run but you also need a lot of luck around Galway so not going in big

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Very keen on King Pellinor in the last for JOB and JP.

Big Baby Bull in the 'big' one too. Won with any amount in hand last time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

akelly02 wrote: »
    LEAVE OFFALY OUT OF THIS ROGER

Offaly sorry old chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Galway Plate

I've only had eyes for Mortal in this all week. I fully expect him to run to his potential at some stage, and this trip and ground should be just about right. The jockey has a great 40% win for Joseph. 33/1 is bigger than I hoped for

2 Points EW 33/1 6 places paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭deeks

I think Magnetic North has a real e w chance in the next at 12/1. Ran well a couple of times at Galway including in this off a few pounds higher last year and trip too long the last twice. Has to be there or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Saltonstall 10/1 in the Mile Handicap may be my small dabble tomorrow...

Can we get a "giddy up"!!

RTE describing a 63 rated handicapper with a strike rate of 1-29 as an eyecatcher is one of the highlights thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

lemush wrote: »
    RTE describing a 63 rated handicapper with a strike rate of 1-29 as an eyecatcher is one of the highlights thus far.

He was punted from 20s last night into as short as 11/2 today. He missed the break completely and finished like a train passing around 10 horses in the last 2f to finish third.

What other way would you expect them to describe the horse? He was an eyecatcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Can we get a "giddy up"!!

Well done bud had €5ew on him and nice return at 10/1 . Thought he was beat on the line and with long wait of Photo finish was thinking DH .. well done againðŸ‘

Motivator wrote: »
    He was punted from 20s last night into as short as 11/2 today. He missed the break completely and finished like a train passing around 10 horses in the last 2f to finish third.

What other way would you expect them to describe the horse? He was an eyecatcher.

Meet Dance Emperor. That's exactly what he does, an eyecatcher he certainly wasn't, he ran his usual race there's a reason he's 1-28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

GALWAY 18:15
    5. In From The Cold
    7/1

GALWAY 18:45
    2. Georgeville
    10/1

GALWAY 19:15
    3. Darkened
    15/2

GALWAY 19:45
    8. Loaded - Win
    12/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Very keen on King Pellinor in the last for JOB and JP.

Big Baby Bull in the 'big' one too. Won with any amount in hand last time out.

With you on KP, think they've found the key with him and will be quite a bit higher in the handicap both on the flat and over hurdles in a few months. Think the money will arrive right about now 😁

Advertisement