Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling people to cop on since Covid-19 arrived?

Options

Comments

Edgware wrote: »
    When you have a chance **** a few extra items in to their trolley. Its very embarassing at the checkout trying to explain why there are a few boxes of condoms in the trolley
    That's only embarrassing if you're 10, and telling someone he has a girlfriend is a sick burn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

gogo wrote: »
    It’s the families out running around tescos that drive me nuts, when did the grocery shop become a social event, its seemed to get worse since covid, now instead of her or himself out shopping, the whole family have to come and show off their masks or non masked faces in most instances.
    No where else to go? Lets all go to tesco, even during the height of lockdown, there were both parents and two kids skipping through tesco’s on my first day venturing over.
    I 100% understand that single parents have to bring the
    kids, there are some instances where it’s just unavoidable, but there are a lot of families who just don’t get it.

...and it tends to happen when the weather is good out. Surely you are better off bringing your kids to the park rather than Tesco or Lidl?

People on narrow streets not moving out of the way or having a full blown conversation with someone in the middle of said narrow street, it's simple folks, just try move a bit out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭billyhead

A bugbear of mine is the amount of disposable masks just dumped on the street. Pure filth

Glad I found this thread. I can relate to Miltiades with experiencing that 'Latent Aggression": On a Dublin Bus going into city centre, a male senior citizen boarded and sat down. He then opened a tub of yoghurt, and proceeded to dip a spoon in and eat it in prurient fashion. Did you really have to eat it on public transport, where there is only supposed to be a maximum of 17 passengers?? ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

...and it tends to happen when the weather is good out. Surely you are better off bringing your kids to the park rather than Tesco or Lidl?

Even before Covid,the number of people whose idea of an afternoon out was to drag the entire family to a shopping centre never failed to bewilder me.I can't think of anything worse than dragging my 3 kids around a packed shopping centre for a Saturday afternoon as a family outing.Hell, as far as I am concerned.Wet days were the worst, throngs of people trying to get into a jammed centre - surely staying in the house would be less headwrecking than that, especially when kids are small.

During Covid I think it became replaced by going on a trip to the local Tesco for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If anyone's not adhering to social distancing and is crowding you there's one honest and truthful sentence that I use. And it works. Every time.

"Could you back off please? There's a chance I'm infected with Covid-19"

No shouting, no drama, no spoofing, just a quiet, polite few words. Immediate affect. Maximum distancing guaranteed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Could backfire, as you shouldn't be outside if you know you're infected. If somebody told me* they suspected they were infected, I would call the guards there and then.

*I would also not be close enough to them for it to be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

s1ippy wrote: »
    Could backfire, as you shouldn't be outside if you know you're infected. If somebody told me* they suspected they were infected, I would call the guards there and then.

*I would also not be close enough to them for it to be relevant.

You should suspect everyone is infected, yourself included, safest way to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

s1ippy wrote: »
    Could backfire, as you shouldn't be outside if you know you're infected..

Good point, this happened to me.

A family of four mouth breathers (all adults when it was advised on person per household should do the shopping) were behind me and not respecting distancing when I said there's a chance I could be infected. After jumping back in shock they started mouthing off about me being infected, but someone else in the queue stood up and said he said

"there's a chance he could be infected, and there's a chance we all could be infected, we need to respect social distancing"

Turns out he was my neighbour. And my doctor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I haven't done it myself, but I was in Lidl Artane on Friday. 20ish year old man was going up aisles without mask and a man in about his 70s caught his eye and said 'how long have these restrictions been in place and you're still not wearing a mask, shame on you'. The young lad didn't reply but it was nice to see a bit of confidence from the older man. I didn't have the balls myself to say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unhappys10 wrote: »
    So have you had to do this yet and what were the circumstances?

Was just in my local Tesco and queuing up for the self service check out. This lad joins queue behind me, was literally a couple of inches away, any closer and he was going to have to buy me dinner first.

I took a step forward to leave some distance between us and he takes a step to follow. I just turned around and said do you mind.
    He said nothing and took a step back. Fella in his early 30's, old enough and this is going on long enough for him to have more cop on.

Any similar experiences out there and how did people react?

just be aware, some people are really struggling to understand these new social rules, its particularly an issue in the autism community

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wearing a mask in a shop is only a guideline right now, it will be drafted into law some year.

Shops can and some are saying no mask no entry.

I forgot the mask on Sat and no spares in the car. Went to chemist, no entry without mask, catch22. She said come in, what do you want, I said a mask and both burst out laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    just be aware, some people are really struggling to understand these new social rules, its particularly an issue in the autism community

Its not hard to understand the rules, stop making up excuses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You should suspect everyone is infected, yourself included, safest way to be.
    Agree 100%.

This message hasn't been pushed enough to get it into some people's thick heads. There's always going to be idiots who are like "I'm definitely fine" taking risks and putting everyone else at risk.

Its not hard to understand the rules, stop making up excuses.

Maybe learn about complex disorders such as autism!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe learn about complex disorders such as autism!

I'm well aware of what it is, but I'd bet the house 99% of those acting the bollix as regards the rules have nothing wrong with them.

I'm well aware of what it is, but I'd bet the house 99% of those acting the bollix as regards the rules have nothing wrong with them.

So you re aware that social rules, particularly new social rules, is one of the most common issues amongst those on the spectrum? Social rules are also an issue with other complex disorders. And you know 99% are acting the bollocks by?

So you re aware that social rules, particularly new social rules, is one of the most common issues amongst those on the spectrum? Social rules are also an issue with other complex disorders. And you know 99% are acting the bollocks by?

I’d say it’s fairly accurate. We’ve been as disgrace on the whole throughout all this. Irish people have proven to be incredibly selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ron_Swanson

Some adults will have coping mechanisms to enable them to go to the shops but that does not mean they have no processing difficulties.

Snapping/shouting at someone who has a disorder and possible high anxiety is just cruel, they could well be that 1%.

You could show support for those that have disorders and are finding these evolving social situations impossible to navigate.

From teaching my child with autism I would suggest that anyone who finds someone too close to them simply says ‘please step back’, language should be clear and not figurative/idiomatic as this can be confusing. This should help communicate to someone whether they are a ‘bollix’ or have autism hth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Some adults will have coping mechanisms to enable them to go to the shops but that does not mean they have no processing difficulties.

Snapping/shouting at someone who has a disorder and possible high anxiety is just cruel, they could well be that 1%.

You could show support for those that have disorders and are finding these evolving social situations impossible to navigate.

From teaching my child with autism I would suggest that anyone who finds someone too close to them simply says ‘please step back’, language should be clear and not figurative/idiomatic as this can be confusing. This should help communicate to someone whether they are a ‘bollix’ or have autism hth

Cmere this isn’t about autism ffs. Amazing how the pc brigade comes out for a post like this one.

Bottom line is people were idiots pre covid and are idiots now during covid.

For example, I know 2 people in work who will stand close enough to snog me. I take a step back and they take a step forward.

They are assholes. Not autistic. They are assholes. Even more so now during this ****e.

If anything this hopefully will teach people to have some level of spacial awareness.

• Advertisement

Whats PC got to do with it? Autism is part of my life and it was mentioned but then dismissed, people with autism exist and should not be dismissed like they don’t exist. Especially when its particularly relevant in a thread talking about social behaviours that people are responding too.

Are you claiming autistic people do not exist? I’m certainly aware assholes exist...more and more of them appearing by the second it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

So have you had to do this yet and what were the circumstances?

Was just in my local Tesco and queuing up for the self service check out. This lad joins queue behind me, was literally a couple of inches away, any closer and he was going to have to buy me dinner first.

I took a step forward to leave some distance between us and he takes a step to follow. I just turned around and said do you mind.
    He said nothing and took a step back. Fella in his early 30's, old enough and this is going on long enough for him to have more cop on.

Any similar experiences out there and how did people react?

People leaving too much room in front of them at the checkout is annoying too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Start coughing loudly that’ll make them move away further than needed.
    I had one in a shop and she literally was right behind me in the checkout queue and kept moving up behind me even when I tried to make some space. She was touching all the bits and pieces on the shelves too and oblivious to the distancing. I turned around and said hey it’s 2 metres not 2 feet step back. I don’t care the covidiots command no respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Frankx wrote: »

I was standing at the line marked on the floor and had to step into the self service area to get away from this lad ffs. If you'd bother to read the whole thread you'd have known I was at the front but that would have taken brains.
    Have a think there before typing a stupid reply again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

I was standing at the line marked on the floor and had to step into the self service area to get away from this lad ffs. If you'd bother to read the whole thread you'd have known I was at the front but that would have taken brains.
    Have a think there before typing a stupid reply again.

Apt username I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Apt username I see

I could think of a few more appropriate ones for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Did you read the post? Obviously not.

Plus, we have to wait at the marked line before being told we can move forward to the checkout. Is not a case of leaving too much room in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Whats PC got to do with it? Autism is part of my life and it was mentioned but then dismissed, people with autism exist and should not be dismissed like they don’t exist. Especially when its particularly relevant in a thread talking about social behaviours that people are responding too.

Are you claiming autistic people do not exist? I’m certainly aware assholes exist...more and more of them appearing by the second it seems

Nope. I’m saying they exist in a VERY small properly/actually diagnosed minority. Kinda like people who say they’re gluten intolerant.

The arseholes who walk up to you as grown functioning adults have been doing so pre and will do so post covid. Nothing to do with “autism”.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Was in Euro Giant over the weekend picking up some birthday stuff and a couple with a child in a buggy came in the door. She was masked he was eating curry chips and continued to do so for the few minutes I was there.

• Advertisement

Nope. I’m saying they exist in a VERY small properly/actually diagnosed minority. Kinda like people who say they’re gluten intolerant.

The arseholes who walk up to you as grown functioning adults have been doing so pre and will do so post covid. Nothing to do with “autism”.
    Ah okay I get ya. Not much I can say when you’re comparing with gluten intolerance though but I think you’re implying that it’s over/incorrectly diagnosed? I honestly wouldn’t have a clue if thats true but I don’t see why you view it in such black and white terms. I agree there are people that don’t respect personal space and you agree there are also people with disorders so that’s all there is to it. I think they should be approached the same way, clear communication to back off. I don’t go around assuming everyone has a disability nor do I assume everyone is an asshole...

I initially replied because in my personal experience it is 100% autism and an earlier poster pointedly said it’s not autism which is impossible for any of us to say. I have a lot of friends with kids who have disorders so in my world there are a lot of people with disabilities and every day I work hard to teach my children how to behave in social situations. Maybe you don’t know anyone with a social communication disorder so that’s why you’re so dismissive.

I thought i’d offer advice in case people just weren’t aware that standing too close (or conversely needing personal space) can be autism. As aforementioned, in my life this is the case, my child would run off and cuddle any stranger if I didn’t hold onto their hand. I know you don’t want to consider this but if anyone else reading this or indeed anyone with autism is reading this I hope they know that there are lots of people out there struggling with all these new rules and a lot of us will show compassion...just try to ignore the assholes

Advertisement