Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufferable beer snobs.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

OP seems triggered

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

imagine being upset at more choice when going for a drink !
    imagine being upset that somebody likes a different or more complex taste in their beer .

Bet that lad insisted on telling you the specials in the restaurant that evening too, the bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i dont want a barman/waiter to offer me things when i've already told them what i want. Just pour the f*cking pint, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Typically craft beers are produced by small locally run businesses...I have visited a few over the years, the one thing I get from them...is that it's a passion of theirs...the owners work in the brewery and know all the staff...I enjoy craft beer as well as mass produced beer...

I find that all the folks who wax lyrical on the negative side of craft beers, are the sort of folks who hammer down 8 pints...also couldn't discribe the flavour of one larger or stout

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Really enjoy Craft beer myself, it sells very well in supermarkets and off licences so clearly people must like the taste and variety of it.

If you want to only drink Guinness thats fine, but dont see the problem with people liking some variety, or trying out a local beer in Ireland like you would anywhere in Europe.

Never had anyone push a particular craft beer on me either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

After drinking a nice full flavored hoppy IPA that's infused with hints of grapefruit and coriander, larger just tastes like sh/t. I don't know how people can shovel pints of crap down their mouths

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oranage2 wrote: »
    After drinking a nice full flavored hoppy IPA that's infused with hints of grapefruit and coriander, larger just tastes like sh/t. I don't know how people can shovel pints of crap down their mouths

Are you saying "lager" in a severe Essex accent, or is that a typo? Anyway, if I wanted a fruit salad 'tisn't a pint I'd be ordering! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oranage2 wrote: »

Lager and IPA are two completely different drinks, I don't know why people compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah this nugget.

Guinness is brewed and crafted in Dublin and shipped worldwide from there.

So you're going to come back with Diageo, wel that's just modern day business. Plenty of company's have foreign ownership. Penneys being another one.

I don't get why a successful product gets so much criticism just because you most likely don't like the taste.

Indeed it is (modern day business).

For the record i like Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I drink Heineken, Guinness and Craft ales - whatever the humour takes me.
    I get laughed at by some friends for drinking "wanker" beers.....

I will drink what I like - the opinion of others does not bother me

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    As to what does Guinness tastes like - It depends.

Any Guinness drinkers I know say it changes from place to place and even pub to pub! They claim that one pub serves a 'bad' pint and another a good one!

How can this be?

Poor hygiene standards, not washing out pipes, barrels kept at incorrect temperatures. Even layout of the pub can have an effect. If the cellar is too far from the tap, it warms up en route.

Any of these will result in a bad pint. That in itself can have a cumulative effect whereby a pub that serves bad pints, people don't drink as many of them so it takes longer to empty the barrel and it goes stale.

Meanwhile, a pub that serves a good pint, people drink lots more, barrels get refreshed more often so its always fresh.

Guinness tastes like a watery ashtray before you get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

"I was in France and walked into a Wine bar. This onion wearing, Gauloise smoking waiter took my order. I asked for a dozen oysters and a bottle of their cheapest californian wine. The waiter suggested that they have far nicer French wines available, but I was firm and wanted my Californian red.

"The waiter offered that I can try a good wine, on the house, and see what I've been missing out on, but I declined, only wanting my californian red. I proceed to drink 8 bottles of the stuff. What is wrong with the French and their wines? Can't they see that I just my plonk and don't want any of their fancy award winning stuff. How dare they?"

Guinness tastes like a watery ashtray before you get used to it

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it is an acquired taste. I drank it for thirty years, and then when I gave up smoking about three years ago I went off it to a large extent. I mostly drink Carlsberg now, the Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi of beer, although I do love a few pints of Guinness now and then.

I also enjoy various craft stouts and ales - the Crane Lane here in Cork serves a lovely chocolatey stout quite unlike the usual ones, and yet eerily similar.

"I was in France and walked into a Wine bar. This onion wearing, Gauloise smoking waiter took my order. I asked for a dozen oysters and a bottle of their cheapest californian wine. The waiter suggested that they have far nicer French wines available, but I was firm and wanted my Californian red.

"The waiter offered that I can try a good wine, on the house, and see what I've been missing out on, but I declined, only wanting my californian red. I proceed to drink 8 bottles of the stuff. What is wrong with the French and their wines? Can't they see that I just my plonk and don't want any of their fancy award winning stuff. How dare they?"

Yes, that's totally the same thing as a fella wanting to enjoy a few pints of Guinness in West Cork and having a concoction pushed on him that he knows full well that, on balance, he probably won't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jimgoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't go quite that far, but it is an acquired taste. I drank it for thirty years, and then when I gave up smoking about three years ago I went off it to a large extent. I mostly drink Carlsberg now, the Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi of beer, although I do love a few pints of Guinness now and then.

I also enjoy various craft stouts and ales - the Crane Lane here in Cork serves a lovely chocolatey stout quite unlike the usual ones, and yet eerily similar.

Are you Alan Partridge by any chance?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are you Alan Partridge by any chance?

Not on Wednesdays, no. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

L1011 wrote: »
    Guinness drinkers probably have the most mythology and bolloxology of any beer drinkers at all. That's where you'll find your large group of beer snobs to aim at.

It's just bizarre. Grown men who equate some alright tasting stout with everything it means to be Irish. It's a nice enough drink with an acquired taste. Nothing more insufferable than someone harping on about the black stuff...but maybe I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

currently very trendy for 'craft' beers but its actually quite hard to make one that tastes good. That is why most of them taste dire, often when they go wrong, they just add a load of hops to try to hide the bad flavour.

Not to be a pain, but surely for consistency it's the waiter who should be pushing the rancid Californian wine, and the customer who should be ordering the local, fairly renowned beverage? Otherwise you're just making up a completely different story.

• Advertisement

Rezident wrote: »
    currently very trendy for 'craft' beers but its actually quite hard to make one that tastes good. That is why most of them taste dire, often when they go wrong, they just add a load of hops to try to hide the bad flavour.

The hops are the flavour. "oh the chocolate is just there to cover up the cake" It's a chocolate cake.

Many craft beers I've tried are not great, but sometimes there are amazing ones. They are not the kind of beers you grab a six pack of to drink down at the beach or wherever, but beers to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Wicklow Wolf Elevation is lovely but a fecking rip off in cans

Not to be a pain, but surely for consistency it's the waiter who should be pushing the rancid Californian wine, and the customer who should be ordering the local, fairly renowned beverage? Otherwise you're just making up a completely different story.

Possibly, but I wasn't putting that much effort into it.

I've never found a craft bar that has pushed a sour beer though unless they know already you like sours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Captcha wrote: »

Totally agree - I used to get it as a 'treat' when in 500ml bottles. Not paying 3.25 for 440ml.

There are usually decent 4 for a tenner offers for other ales

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Wasn't Guinness funding loyalist terrorists to murder Irish people? hardly an irish hero...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Captcha wrote: »

They have a lovely red ale called Arcadia that I used to buy bottles of. Now they are change 3.80 for a 440ml can of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Eight pints?

Some sort of featherweight?

gourcuff wrote: »
    Wasn't Guinness funding loyalist terrorists to murder Irish people? hardly an irish hero...

Arthur Guinness was a stalwart Irish Unionist, but I don't think he funded actual terrorists.

Very few smithwicks drinkers about....it seems :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Rezident wrote: »

Not really, nó.

Advertisement