Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What road races are going ahead in 2020?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

@cramcycle - Mount Nugent grand prix is going ahead, entries are filling up fast though so please book today to avoid disappointment.
    I hope to update about Kilmessan Races on the 8/9th August later on this evening or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not a single women's open race has been held in the country this year :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Did mondello last night. Felt strange but very safe. Temp taken on way in and checklisted in lieu of sign on. Race itself nice and fast and near full field. No hanging about after which was a little od but needs must.
    Height of respect to the organisers keeping racing on the road in these bizarre times.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NCW13

eeeee wrote: »
    Not a single women's open race has been held in the country this year :(

As a race organiser I'm more than happy to include a women's race and plan on incorporating one at my August 8th race. (Due to be listed tonight). At last week's event we had 5 ladies and we gave them 4 mins head start, a lead car and two motorbikes. So well looked after. What's disappointing is the number of ladies entering. One could argue, put it on and they'll show up. But the evidence points to the contrary. I will set a closing date and a minimum of 25, not unrealistic. Let's see if the ladies enter.

And what did I get for providing a 4 minute handicap last week? A volley of emails from one riders complaining about how they were treated.

NCW13 wrote: »
    As a race organiser I'm more than happy to include a women's race and plan on incorporating one at my August 8th race. (Due to be listed tonight). At last week's event we had 5 ladies and we gave them 4 mins head start, a lead car and two motorbikes. So well looked after. What's disappointing is the number of ladies entering. One could argue, put it on and they'll show up. But the evidence points to the contrary. I will set a closing date and a minimum of 25, not unrealistic. Let's see if the ladies enter.

And what did I get for providing a 4 minute handicap last week? A volley of emails from one riders complaining about how they were treated.

The numbers for running a separate race and a "well if there's enough we'll run one if not we'll throw ye in with the A3's/4's) are completely and utterly different.
    Never, in 5 years of road racing would I travel for the latter, but I almost always travel for the former. 90% of women are the same. I have never, in 5 years been in a bunch smaller than 25 women.

The biggest growth in competitive licenses at the moment are women. The first race of the year last year there were 62 off us at it.
    Routinely more women than A1's turn up to race last year but yet the amount of races they get v us is huge. There's no real justification for it.
    It should be a condition of approval putting on a race that you run a separate women's race. Ther carrot isn't working its time for the stick. Not a handicap, or a ahh I'll throw ye in with the A what ever s, but a separate race.
    The numbers have jumped hugely the last 2 years, there were over 50 at corkagh park last Tuesday. That there aren't numbers is a red herring. Things have changed. They're are more women on bikes than ever before, and far more women with CI licenses race than men proportionally.

Not a single race for us this year, before or after lockdown. Hopefully a progressive, forward thinking race organiser puts one or some on before the year is out. We'll be waiting!
    I'm so glad I'm not a road rider (it helps with fitness for my chosen discipline, which doesn't suffer from the same bullshyte as road racing), or I'd be seriously pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It should be a condition of approval putting on a race that you run a separate women's race. Ther carrot isn't working its time for the stick. .
    If you think that's the way to get more races, you are in need of a serious reality check

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The numbers at Corkagh park this week were very impressive. it may not be the same outside of Dublin of course, Good honest racing and a real community spirit. Surely the road races can tap into that?

Is it a reward vs hassle debate?

The numbers for running a separate race and a "well if there's enough we'll run one if not we'll throw ye in with the A3's/4's) are completely and utterly different.
    Never, in 5 years of road racing would I travel for the latter, but I almost always travel for the former. 90% of women are the same. I have never, in 5 years been in a bunch smaller than 25 women.

The biggest growth in competitive licenses at the moment are women. The first race of the year last year there were 62 off us at it.
    Routinely more women than A1's turn up to race last year but yet the amount of races they get v us is huge. There's no real justification for it.
    It should be a condition of approval putting on a race that you run a separate women's race. Ther carrot isn't working its time for the stick. Not a handicap, or a ahh I'll throw ye in with the A what ever s, but a separate race.
    The numbers have jumped hugely the last 2 years, there were over 50 at corkagh park last Tuesday. That there aren't numbers is a red herring. Things have changed. They're are more women on bikes than ever before, and far more women with CI licenses race than men proportionally.

Not a single race for us this year, before or after lockdown. Hopefully a progressive, forward thinking race organiser puts one or some on before the year is out. We'll be waiting!
    I'm so glad I'm not a road rider (it helps with fitness for my chosen discipline, which doesn't suffer from the same bullshyte as road racing), or I'd be seriously pissed.

Interesting response. I've run several women's races. Including at least two stage races. Getting pre-entry. IMPOSSIBLE!! Support from Women's commission. Jog on. And get your facts right. There is a separate women's race on the calendar. Look again. Jumping to conclusions. As for making it a mandatory to run a women's race, can I suggest you run one. Just once. Please. I'll help you.

And before you launch again. I, yes me, was the person who got separate underage championships for girls. And that was despite a lot of opposition from various commissions. And when they said' let's make the girls champs 'exhibition' in year 1 as its the first year they'll have separate champs. My response. No, make the boys the exhibition champs as they were the guests in the girls champs all these years and this will be their first year with separate champs. Amazingly they gave us separate full champs for both Boys and Girls. All the while a very prominent campaigner, or so she'd have you believe for women's racing sat in the room and said nothing. So don't lecture me on what to do! Do what I did, start promoting. Then, share your learnings and we all move forward together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Irish 2,500km ultra race to go ahead with domestic and foreign riders
    The 2,500km TransAtlantic Way ultra-race has been confirmed for 2020 and will start on September 3rd.
    However, the race will only accept entries from Irish residents or riders from the 15 “green listed” countries that have been deemed safe to travel to by the Irish Government without the need for quarantine.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-2500km-ultra-race-to-go-ahead-with-domestic-and-foreign-riders/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd be in favour of CI promoting one womens race a week/fortnight/month. Any club could apply and one a week or month chosen and CI would stump up the cost of the Commisaires and Expenses for the womens race. Put all entries for the womens race towards their prizes, simples.

I think my idea would be a nice motion for the CI AGM, a bit like affirmative action, by positively discriminating until numbers are better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

NCW running another race on August 2nd, open tomorrow. A savage tough course & well worth suffering there.

NCW13 wrote: »
    Interesting response. I've run several women's races. Including at least two stage races. Getting pre-entry. IMPOSSIBLE!! Support from Women's commission. Jog on. And get your facts right. There is a separate women's race on the calendar. Look again. Jumping to conclusions. As for making it a mandatory to run a women's race, can I suggest you run one. Just once. Please. I'll help you.

And before you launch again. I, yes me, was the person who got separate underage championships for girls. And that was despite a lot of opposition from various commissions. And when they said' let's make the girls champs 'exhibition' in year 1 as its the first year they'll have separate champs. My response. No, make the boys the exhibition champs as they were the guests in the girls champs all these years and this will be their first year with separate champs. Amazingly they gave us separate full champs for both Boys and Girls. All the while a very prominent campaigner, or so she'd have you believe for women's racing sat in the room and said nothing. So don't lecture me on what to do! Do what I did, start promoting. Then, share your learnings and we all move forward together.

Interesting response. Our experiences differ so greatly...
    Putting on a race is a big effort, I don't dispute that. But the old 'women don't turn up' is absolute tosh, and an excuse that doesn't wash anymore.

Everyone has a responsibility to push road racing forward, it's not doing well at the moment (Covid is giving a very rosy picture at the moment with there being nothing for most of the year so far). Road racing, and promoters in my experience, are interested in male road racing in the majority. The sport will wither and die as long as that is the focus. Women and youths are neglected, especially young women. There are pathways for young and junior men but none for women.
    There's a really, really strong crop of young women coming through at the moment, and nothing for them. That's not good enough.
    Other disciplines do it well. They provide space for women and we fill it. There were more women competing at the national track champs than men this year. If you build it we will come.

Structurally, the sport has issues. The women's commission at the moment is deeply, deeply flawed. I hope it can be saved, it's not doing what it was set out to do in any way shape or form, it's not advocating for our sport at all.

I would personally get rid of all underage national champs untill U16 like most other sports. An U12's champsionship is far too much seriousness at a young age IMO. But parity is essential, so well done on getting that.

It's not a lecture, it's the genuine, lived experience of a woman in this sport. I can tell stories of how shyte we are treated at races - at a national series race our race was stopped 3 times - 3 times! we passed the A4's once and ALL of the giving out was the A4's being stopped for us that day :rolleyes:. And that's just the tip of the iceberg- I have plenty more stories where that came from!

It's 2020. It's inexcusable that our sport is so utterly one sided. There have been a couple of weekends racing already since lockdown, and one or two before lockdown. Not a single women's race yet, none next weekend either. What other sport can get away with that in this day and age? I remember when I started and the Ste4phen Roche GP advertised itself as having equal prize money for women and men. I was absolutely blown away this wasn't usually the case (I'd get rid of monetary prizes full stop but that's another debate) in this day and age.

Things have to change. Whether people like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭elchupanebrey

dahat wrote: »
    NCW running another race on August 2nd, open tomorrow. A savage tough course & well worth suffering there.

Where'd you hear about this race. CI site seems to be very slow in putting details up about events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Where'd you hear about this race. CI site seems to be very slow in putting details up about events

Newcastlewest own Facebook site I think

Incidentally Munster TT champs is day before and registration is live now on eventmaster

Facebook as below, got mullered there last week so I might just go back again for the same.

Details will be posted today. CI only received them last night.

burger1979 wrote: »
    @cramcycle - Mount Nugent grand prix is going ahead, entries are filling up fast though so please book today to avoid disappointment.
    I hope to update about Kilmessan Races on the 8/9th August later on this evening or tomorrow.

7no tickets left for Mount nugent grand prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

Boyne gp will run August 15th
    And 90% sure leinster autumn race will run following day 16th subject to being able to call on the usual suspects to help..
    Want to get this weekend out of the way before we start planning anything further

Boyne gp will run August 15th
    And 90% sure leinster autumn race will run following day 16th subject to being able to call on the usual suspects to help..
    Want to get this weekend out of the way before we start planning anything further

Mount Nugent grand prix being run by Navan is now sold out, reserve list only from now on. Race is off at 7pm on the 1st August 2020. Still sorting out some details on the races being run in Kilmessan the following week, road works going on at the moment on the route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mick Lawless is not going ahead, as far as I know the Womens commission is still going ahead with their race on the day but there will be no other open races. Thanks

Almost sure leinster road race championship is being rescheduled at present..will.be possibly 20th

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mick Lawless is not going ahead, as far as I know the Womens commission is still going ahead with their race on the day but there will be no other open races. Thanks

Aw, sorry to hear that. Too much logistical arranging?

Did Ras Cill Mocheallog today, suffer fest each time on the climb. I just got back on 1k out for the bunch kick but needed another 200 to recover a bit.

All credit to Kilmallock CC for having a full compliment of races.

Also had a cracking chase back with a Dolmen CC rider on the last lap, I'll owe him & a few others a turn someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Did Ras Cill Mocheallog today, suffer fest each time on the climb. I just got back on 1k out for the bunch kick but needed another 200 to recover a bit.

All credit to Kilmallock CC for having a full compliment of races.

Also had a cracking chase back with a Dolmen CC rider on the last lap, I'll owe him & a few others a turn someday.

Steve was saying you played a big part in your group getting back on.

Great race. It's hard but always enjoyable.... in the sadistic sort of way That's 5 years on the trot I've done it now. This year was the fastest yet as my lap times will attest.

Indeed a great race,I'll be back next year a little wiser with the hill. The second part was where I lost the group each time.

If we had one more body earlier in the chase we would have made well before the bunch kick started.

Good legs coming at season end but that's how the year has been unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Indeed a great race,I'll be back next year a little wiser with the hill. The second part was where I lost the group each time.

If we had one more body earlier in the chase we would have made well before the bunch kick started.

Good legs coming at season end but that's how the year has been unfortunately.

Yes I believe you were almost on there. Race lit up from the final time up the climb all the way back to the line so a chase back on was never going to be easy.

On every lap I hit the front about 1km before the turn left off the main road and was easily able to hold position to the bottom of the climb. Then let myself slide back.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

National Hill Climb Champs are off the calendar, would have thought that they would be easier to organise during Covid than road races. Mind you I don't actually organise any races...

Advertisement