Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What road races are going ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There's a lot more now to it that pre-Covid I'd say. And I'd say no one wants to be responsible for starting a cluster...
    Maybe they're seeing how the first few go before they confirm their events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I also think that clubs might start pulling their races if the first few races end up with clubs losing a lot of money.

I could imagine a few turning away from open races this season and maybe making them open club league races, it would certainly relieve some of the pressure financially. No prize money, no commisaires, there are a few circuits that require very few marshals. Alot of us ride for just the race rather than points or upgrades, certainly something I am considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I also think that clubs might start pulling their races if the first few races end up with clubs losing a lot of money.

Take the Michael Shiels. Two races with guaranteed 70 per race and less overheads than previous years (no food or hall fees for starters). It's hard to imagine it do less well off financially than previous years.

Concerns are around covid and getting stick locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NCW13

Take the Michael Shiels. Two races with guaranteed 70 per race and less overheads than previous years (no food or hall fees for starters). It's hard to imagine it do less well off financially than previous years.

Concerns are around covid and getting stick locally.

Worth noting that there are Hall Fees. Toilets still being provided. Just not providing a changing facility. Minor point of clarification.

As race organiser, the biggest issue was ensuring that the local community were happy for the event to take place. Once they agreed the next issue was ambulance cover. That's a bigger issue as it turns out most have been mothballed and are not insured so we had to wait for the local crew to get an additional ambulance from elsewhere.

And to ensure social distancing, there's a rather big hill !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

NCW13 wrote: »
    Worth noting that there are Hall Fees. Toilets still being provided. Just not providing a changing facility. Minor point of clarification.

As race organiser, the biggest issue was ensuring that the local community were happy for the event to take place. Once they agreed the next issue was ambulance cover. That's a bigger issue as it turns out most have been mothballed and are not insured so we had to wait for the local crew to get an additional ambulance from elsewhere.

And to ensure social distancing, there's a rather big hill !!!!

Could you post the route please?

That big hill comment is frightening.....

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Could you post the route please?

That big hill comment is frightening.....

Which race have you entered. Two different circuits.

Which race have you entered. Two different circuits.

A3 race.

A3 race.

PM me, and I'll send you map, but please don't publish it. Don't want riders living on circuit for the week. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

Demand for our races have high since entry opened on Monday.
    Peter bidwell memorial 9 spaces left
    Brendan Campbell memorial 25 left across 2 x races a1/a2 and a3jun
    A4 race not huge interest
    As per an earlier post we have promoted Brendan Campbell race in same village and circuit for 23 years but this year have brought it to a different circuit with less residinces etc and not passing through any built up areas..I have to live beside these people and don't wish to lose the support and goodwill built up over many years.so for this year quite happy to change

Anyone know if entry is open for Mondello yet or when it’s due to open?

It was on eventmaster over the weekend but is sold out now, sorry

• Advertisement

How did Mondello go in terms of protocols etc?

How did Mondello go in terms of protocols etc?

I thought it was quite good, temp checks on the way in (which I think is a placebo but how and ever), social distancing was fairly good, with I'd say 85% compliance. Comms were good and clear, seen riders pull off to the side to blow snot rockets etc. so overall, it went as well as I could have hoped from my point of view.

Downsides are that A3s are worse than A4s in regards cornering, holy f*ck. The obsession with pulling breaks going into corners was insanity. One lad grabbed a handful as we went down the descent into the 90 degree bend that has another 90 degree bend up the bump straight after. Thankfully I only had to scrub a bit of speed and just take a weird line but the inability of (most, not all) A3s to take corners well or carry speed was shocking. I think fear of sliding out was a factor but they were more likely to do this with the way they were riding. A few times I was being distanced and I came flying past again if we were near a corner with no extra effort. Disappointed I missed the break as I had been taking digs with those who made it for the first few laps. Got fed up with only a few of us working so when they went I didn't chase but by the time those with me realised, they had 20 seconds on us and were never caught by anyone. Wish I had made the effort and sprinted then but c'est la vie.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I thought it was quite good, temp checks on the way in (which I think is a placebo but how and ever), social distancing was fairly good, with I'd say 85% compliance. Comms were good and clear, seen riders pull off to the side to blow snot rockets etc. so overall, it went as well as I could have hoped from my point of view.

Downsides are that A3s are worse than A4s in regards cornering, holy f*ck. The obsession with pulling breaks going into corners was insanity. One lad grabbed a handful as we went down the descent into the 90 degree bend that has another 90 degree bend up the bump straight after. Thankfully I only had to scrub a bit of speed and just take a weird line but the inability of (most, not all) A3s to take corners well or carry speed was shocking. I think fear of sliding out was a factor but they were more likely to do this with the way they were riding. A few times I was being distanced and I came flying past again if we were near a corner with no extra effort. Disappointed I missed the break as I had been taking digs with those who made it for the first few laps. Got fed up with only a few of us working so when they went I didn't chase but by the time those with me realised, they had 20 seconds on us and were never caught by anyone. Wish I had made the effort and sprinted then but c'est la vie.

Good to hear the level of compliance from riders was good, alot rides on Mondello going well across the country.

How did you feel the Zwift legs transferred to the road?

I'm racing Sunday & wondering if the Zwift legs will hold or fold!!!

Good to hear the level of compliance from riders was good, alot rides on Mondello going well across the country.

How did you feel the Zwift legs transferred to the road?

I'm racing Sunday & wondering if the Zwift legs will hold or fold!!!

They didn't transfer at all, it felt like a typical early season race for me as if I'd done my normal winter of little training. No cobwebs but that's it. The A4s were full of riders who came off saying there was simply no comparison and Zwift greatly misled them and their capabilities.

A3 was fine for me, and I held the A2 and A1 wheels as they came through but once I heard the time gaps on the 2nd last lap I let it go. I certainly was not going to be competitive in the sprint as I burned alot of matches early on trying to break up the group or catch the breakaway riders, so I decided to just roll in the last 2.

I guess i'll look forward to falling flat then Sunday if Zwift was misleading us all as expected.

It's a pity you didn't grab wheels to hang with the break when it went, something to build on next week for sure.

As for Sunday there is a decent hill to dealt with a few times so not expecting much as i know there is a few very good riders entered so a follow wheels on the hill if i can.

I guess i'll look forward to falling flat then Sunday if Zwift was misleading us all as expected.

It's a pity you didn't grab wheels to hang with the break when it went, something to build on next week for sure.

As for Sunday there is a decent hill to dealt with a few times so not expecting much as i know there is a few very good riders entered so a follow wheels on the hill if i can.

I know NCW didn't want the circuit published in advance but surely you can tell us the height gain and distance of the climb? Also is it early in the lap.or is there warm up time ? Hate races that start straight up a hill. ...

I know NCW didn't want the circuit published in advance but surely you can tell us the height gain and distance of the climb? Also is it early in the lap.or is there warm up time ? Hate races that start straight up a hill. ...

Hill is at the end of the lap. Goes up 100m in 1.3km. Steepest part for 100m is 8%, otherwise 3 to 4%.

Hill is at the end of the lap. Goes up 100m in 1.3km. Steepest part for 100m is 8%, otherwise 3 to 4%.

Thanks for the racing today, everything went well from a riders point of view. I hope the rest did as well.

As for the race, got my ass handed to me on a tight circuit unfortunately!!!

Thanks for the racing today, everything went well from a riders point of view. I hope the rest did as well.

As for the race, got my ass handed to me on a tight circuit unfortunately!!!

Appreciate your comments. All went really well. Locals embraced the race , Covid-19 style, couldn't have asked for a better response from public or riders. Thanks for being part of it.

Appreciate your comments. All went really well. Locals embraced the race , Covid-19 style, couldn't have asked for a better response from public or riders. Thanks for being part of it.

Yes. Locals really did embrace it. Fine weather helped but there were loads out in gardens cheering as it passed. And so little traffic you'd almost be forgiven for thinking it was a closed circuit.

Don't go well from me personally but it was great to be back racing again and an enjoyable day out.

• Advertisement

Agreed on the locals, all seemed keen to have us mad folk about the place. Hopefully this will encourage more clubs to put a race or two on.

Is anyone aware of plans around the Lucan GP in September?

Is anyone aware of plans around the Lucan GP in September?

Chatting to a few Lucan riders, first they heard of it was the CI calendar. I imagine it's nowhere near decided yet

CramCycle wrote: »
    Chatting to a few Lucan riders, first they heard of it was the CI calendar. I imagine it's nowhere near decided yet

Fingers crossed it goes ahead, calender looking bleak as expected given current circumstances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fingers crossed it goes ahead, calender looking bleak as expected given current circumstances.

Look on any event as a bonus and give thanks to the dedicated volunteers who put the races on.
    Without the likes of Ger Campbell, Alice Sheratt, Gary McIlroy in Leinster and many others nationwide we would have nothing.
    If you do enter an event just remember to do everything you are asked and don't act the bollix no matter what your opinions are re any restrictions.

RobFowl wrote: »
    If you do enter an event just remember to do everything you are asked and don't act the bollix no matter what your opinions are re any restrictions.

This goes without saying.

MOD VOICE: A placeholder, going to bring over the race events from the Sportive thread, post away though

Tuesday, July 21st
    Mondello Series-Mondello Series CONFIRMED
    Corkagh Park Women’s Race Series-Corkagh Park Women’s Race Series CONFIRMED
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...4933785622632/
    Wednesday, July 22nd
    Foyle CC TT League-Round 3 UNCONFIRMED
    Saturday, July 25th
    3R Mobility Paracycling Series UNCONFIRMED
    Peter Bidwell Memorial 2020 CONFIRMED
    Sunday, July 26th
    Brendan Campbell Memorial 2020 CONFIRMED
    Tuesday, July 28th
    Wednesday, July 29th
    Foyle CC TT League-Round 4 UNCONFIRMED
    Thursday, July 30th
    EMSS Super Six League-EMSS Super Six Rd.2 CONFIRMED
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ernie-Ma...7199815/posts/
    Saturday, August 1st
    Munster Open & Para TT Championship
    Danny O'Shea Memorial 10m TT
    Mount Nugent Grand Prix CONFIRMED
    Sunday, August 2nd
    Ulster 10TT Championship
    Tuesday, August 4th
    Wednesday, August 5th
    Mayo Road championship
    Thursday, August 6th
    Limerick TT Championships 2020-Limerick TT Championships
    Saturday, August 8th
    Kerry County Championships
    Beechmount Cup
    Sunday, August 9th
    Connacht TT Champs 2020
    Champion of Champions
    Collins Christie Memorial Race
    Tuesday, August 11th
    Wednesday, August 12th
    Mayo League TTT-Mayo League RR5 Westport
    Mayo League TTT-Mayo League TTT
    Thursday, August 13th
    Clare County Championships
    Louth & Leinster Time Trials
    EMSS Super Six League-EMSS Super Six Rd.3
    Saturday, August 15th
    Boyne GP 2020
    Sunday, August 16th
    2020 Cycling Ireland Youth Road Championships
    Leinster Autumn Classic 2020
    Munster Criterium Championships (Youth and Adult)
    Tuesday, August 18th
    Thursday, August 20th
    2020 Cycling Ireland Time Trial Championships
    Friday, August 21st
    Eddie Crory Memorial Race
    Saturday, August 22nd
    2020 Cycling Ireland Junior Men Road Race Championships
    2020 Cycling Ireland Senior Women Road Race Championships

Sunday, August 23rd
    2020 Cycling Ireland Junior Women Road Race Championships
    Carlow Youth Races
    2020 Cycling Ireland Senior Men incorporating U23 Road Race Championships
    Tuesday, August 25th
    Thursday, August 27th
    Leinster and Louth Hill Climb Champs
    EMSS Super Six League-EMSS Super Six Rd.4
    Saturday, August 29th
    Laragh Classic Not running
    Sunday, August 30th
    Leinster Road Race Champs
    2020 Connacht Road Championships
    2020 Ulster Road Race Championship - John Beggs Memorial

Anyone have anymore info on the above races for me to update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Didn’t know the Laragh Classic was off. All off to the Ulster Champs for the best circuit in Ireland

Advertisement