Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Sacha Baron Cohen Funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Interesting that he did racist stereos types against people from Kazakhstan and muslims and it was "genius".

Now imagine he had try to do the same about Israelis/jews.

He made Borat at a time when islamophobia was on the rise, and he exploited it to the full.

He is Persian Jewish himself, I would say after his family left Iraq/Persia they have plenty of Islamophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

NO!!!! Do not post again without warning!!!
    *Reaches for Eye bleach*

For god sake what were you thinking!!!

Airbrushed I reckon. He’s not that endowed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I loved Boratm there were scenes were I didn’t stop laughing from the beginning to the end of it. The dinner scene where he brought the prossie being one.

His Borat skits from years earlier were great too, the one in the gym was fantastic, you can even see him tell the cameraman how to get into position for the shot he was looking for, all while not breaking character and giving the game away.

Sometime he funny.

And is ok for him to tell the trooff cos 'im be a member of de tribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Airbrushed I reckon. He’s not that endowed

I think you will find from the dream sequence of the opening of Ali-G movie, he dreams his member is like a babys arm holding an apple...... oh its just a dream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Interesting that he did racist stereos types against people from Kazakhstan and muslims and it was "genius".

He made Borat at a time when islamophobia was on the rise, and he exploited it to the full.

Imagine if the Borat character thought Jews could shapeshift into cockroaches and they could be appease by throwing money at them....

As with most of this "imagine if they did X now, they'd be crucified".

It was parody. Peope knew it was parody and it was fine. I doubt Kazakhstan thought it was funny though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I can't believe we're 5 pages in and no one has said "very nice, I like!" boards used to be better than this
    DX6MTXDUQAEMGnP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

He interviewed Dick Cheney as an Israeli general and told him what a hero he was and got him to sign his waterboarding gear.

Borat featured the "Running of the Jew" and plenty of anti-Semitic slurs. Did you even see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I loved the fact he exposed Paula Abdul for being willing to sit on people as chairs too. What a gowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Giving O.J. a bit a doing.
    Priceless :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://youtu.be/xKpPj8afBEc

i could not concentrate on what this old man was saying lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Never gets old

He's so good its actually disgusting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Another beautiful moment :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

He is a comedy genius and has been doing mostly great work for 20 odd years now.

Who is America has some golden moments such as the OJ clip posted above. He also fooled Sheriff Joe Arpaio pretending to be a Finnish bizarre character and was conducting the interview about guns in the style of a shopkin (kids toy) called Delic Donut.

SBC’s Finnish character is dressed like one of the presenters from the ITV 80s kids program Rainbow (Bungle etc) but he says to the sheriff that he owns a mad amount of guns himself Back in Finland. And then just casually throws in the reason as being “for the upcoming race war”. The look on yer man’s face is priceless.

He’s a smart cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Probably wouldn't sit through it for long periods but Borat and Ali G have definitely made me laugh. A lot of it walks the line between being very prescient and clever yet being completely slapstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gave me a laugh at the time, but even reading through this thread and watched some of the YouTube clips - nothing, he’s just... “meh”.

I guess it was of it’s time and was funny in that context, but like Little Britain has kinda aged badly.

paul71 wrote: »
    It took me years to appreciate him. When I first saw Ali-G I did not know he was played a character and was kind of aware of him in the background not something I sought out to watch. Borat was a revelation. I'd love to see him do an Irish theme, I'd say we would hate it and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Didn't get him at the start and never followed Ali G but yes he is funny.
    Can't wait to show my 10 year old who loves Emimem(what ever his name is) that video. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

I do find him funny but feel a bit guilty about it sometimes. He really stitches up many of the folks he talks to. He rightly ****ed over those college kids who gave him a lift in Borat. And some of his gags in Who is America were disgraceful, trying his best to get celebrities to make racist comments etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Better than Ricky Gervais.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

I do find him funny but feel a bit guilty about it sometimes. He really stitches up many of the folks he talks to. He rightly ****ed over those college kids who gave him a lift in Borat. And some of his gags in Who is America were disgraceful, trying his best to get celebrities to make racist comments etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

[QUOTE=Deleted User;114073889[/QUOTE]

Haven’t saw that clip for years now. Asking the shinner what language they speak in west Belfast and she says Gaelic. Aye right.....

timthumbni wrote: »
    Haven’t saw that clip for years now. Asking the shinner what language they speak in west Belfast and she says Gaelic. Aye right.....

Good thing that clip is (perfect quality)

I have a feeling that Terry Wogan gag was fishing for yer man to say Gerry Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Do you not realise he was shining a light on Islamophobia by doing this? Exposing it as bollox through parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

The entire Ali G series was hilarious. But when he came to Belfast I was not expecting him to know enough about Irish history to as Sammy Wilson *that* question.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n4TeNAT0Uc4
    (I'm on mobile. Will make that link an embed ASAP)

blade1 wrote: »
    Giving O.J. a bit a doing.
    Priceless :pac:

Yeah that's GIVING OJ a doing. The really good ones are when he gives them enough rope and someone completely hangs themself. OJ didn't hang himself there. He just laughed along awkwardly while SBC tried, unsuccessfully, to get him to hang himself. Not SBC's best work.

Better than Ricky Gervais.

In fairness..I'm funnier than Ricky Gervais..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Imagine if the Borat character thought Jews could shapeshift into cockroaches and they could be appease by throwing money at them....

As with most of this "imagine if they did X now, they'd be crucified".

It was parody. Peope knew it was parody and it was fine. I doubt Kazakhstan thought it was funny though.

Kazakhs were furious about his racist attitudes towards them and it was no parody. It was about portraying Kazakhs and muslims as backwards people.
    paul71 wrote: »
    Do you not realise he was shining a light on Islamophobia by doing this? Exposing it as bollox through parody.

He was in his hole doing that.

• Advertisement

Kazakhs were furious about his racist attitudes towards them and it was no parody. It was about portraying Kazakhs and muslims as backwards people.

He was in his hole doing that.

Kazakh parody would never work on a UK or US audience because we don't know enough about Kazakhstan to begin with. But theuslim,stuff in general was obvious parody. Throwing money at the cockroaches which he thought were Jews who had shapeshifted... That was parody.

Advertisement