Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Sacha Baron Cohen Funny?

Options
  • 18-07-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

Do you find Sacha Baron Cohen Funny?

He might not be everyone's cup of tea.

The only comedian to impersonate a white man ..impersonating a black man ..and no blackface was involved.

Or do you think he insulted people and went too far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He has an amazing ability to make me both laugh and cringe at the same time. He's a very smart guy, and close to comedy genius at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Some of his early Ali G stuff (not the flim) and Bruno were up among my favourites of all time.
    Don't care if it's immature or offensive, it's hilarious.

More hit and miss with his later works though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Has he ‘apologised’ for Ali-G?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

It took me years to appreciate him. When I first saw Ali-G I did not know he was played a character and was kind of aware of him in the background not something I sought out to watch. Borat was a revelation. I'd love to see him do an Irish theme, I'd say we would hate it and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He's very good. Even The Dictator, which wasn't particularly good, was still an enjoyable watch. He is also very good in The Spy which is a serious film where he plays a Jewish spy in some Muslim country, Iran or Egypt I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

His 'Kazakh' is hebrew and i am pretty sure he uses yiddish in that clip.:D

Has he ‘apologised’ for Ali-G?

It was him impersonating a white guy ...trying to be black...so er no.

It was him impersonating a white guy ...trying to be black...so er no.

I think Rodney was on the same page as you....

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    I think Rodney was on the same page as you....
    Maybe he will make a parody apology.

Yeah as a Jewish guy parody of a Muslim Trump acolyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ali G and Borat were very good.

Bruno, not so much.

But yeah, he's a funny guy.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Yes his film The Dictator is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

it wouldve been interesting to see him as Freddie Mercury, as it was initially him and not Remi Malek, but i think queen didnt want him to turn it into a r rated movie

paul71 wrote: »
    Yeah as a Jewish guy parody of a Muslim Trump acolyte.
    Him as Jared Kushner would be better.

I used to love Ali G. The Borat movie is class and he's excellent in the spy. His R rated version of Freddie Mercury would've been great to see as well. If nothing else he's bumping uglies with Isla Fisher so hat tip to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

His te-bagging antics raised a titter or two.

Ali G and Borat were genius.

Didn't care much for Bruno but this clip is up there with his Ali G or Borat stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yes. And handsome.

• Advertisement

Yes. And handsome.
    Lol I thought I was the only one who thought that!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Wasn't he originally cast to play Freddie Mercury in the recent film. Id say he would of been good. weees will rock you bruv

No, that wouldn’t be well received I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The dude is banging Isla Fisher. Lucky fücker.

The dude is banging Isla Fisher. Lucky fücker.

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Borat is the most I’ve ever laughed in the cinema. My stomach hurt from laughing.
    Yes. And handsome.

Yeah, he IS handsome. I’ve never really thought about that before because he’s usually in character when I’m watching him.

No, that wouldn’t be well received I suspect.

that would make it even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

it wouldve been interesting to see him as Freddie Mercury, as it was initially him and not Remi Malek, but i think queen didnt want him to turn it into a r rated movie

There are two stories:
    The first is Sacha Baron Cohens: He met the remaining members of Queen and they told him all the stories we never heard. Sacha said cool lets make story. Queen said no you cant make that story!!!! Sacha said Try and stop me. They said fine, but you will have to make it without the music for the sound track.......... Then Baron-Cohen realise "****!" Baron Cohen has spent about a year method acting being Freddie Mercury. Imagine poor Isa Fisher waking up to next to Freddie Mercury for a year?!?!? All that effort wasted.

The second story is that Queen didn't like where Baron-Cohen was going and he wanted to totally sensationalise it.

What was the truth? There was no way Queen was cool with Freddies lifestyle and were understanding that he was HIV positive. So I guess the truth was somewhere in between. I believe bands have high hi's and low lo's and tempers were more fraught and they well knew about Freddies peccadilloes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm particularly fond of the time the anthem from Borat was accidentally used in real life at medal awarding ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I think he's funny, others don't, however, nobody can deny that he's balls of steel. Here's a clip of Borat singing a spoof version of the Kazakhstan anthem to the tune of the Star-Spangled Banner in front of a hostile US rodeo audience.

Advertisement