Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Nantes Cathedral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This boils my p*ss

EdZE4kIXgAE48s0?format=jpg&name=mediumEdZFpXxXgAAp3db?format=jpg&name=largeEdZFpX_XkAAPzXm?format=jpg&name=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The loss of such craftsman ship and history. Soon we'll have a bland culture with no diversity and a list of banned tv shows. The world is gone to hell in a handbasket.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

biko wrote: »
    The Rwandan fella released without charge.
    Investigation continues.

And now arrested again and he has confessed.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/26/nantes-cathedral-blaze-volunteer-admits-setting-up-fire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolutely disgusting - I hope he does a long prison spell then back to Rwanda with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No smoke without fire this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Life will go on without some dusty old church. So long as nobody was injured in this attack, that's the most important thing tbh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Maybe this was covered already but have they ever found out the cause of the fire at Notre Dame.

Supposedly, it's a conspiracy theory to suggest it may have been arson. However, has any real investigation of the site occurred?

This last I heard was that investigators could not access the area due to safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

The Rwandan migrant has confessed to burning down the historic church.

Although I'm sure the usual maniacs here will still find a way to defend him.

But sure there’s nothing to defend him from? He hasn’t been accused of anything by the French authorities. He’s only regarded as the main suspect by you, even though your own bloody article says otherwise!

What’s actually laughable is your attempt at guilt by association. Save it for jesus sake, you tried, you failed. Be grand.

You mean " you failed ". Be grand.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

splashuum wrote: »

Why does his nationality mean so much to you?

• Advertisement

Why does his nationality mean so much to you?

Does mentioning the nationality of the perp offend you somehow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No, I didn’t fail anything because I didn’t accuse anyone without evidence, like you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Does mentioning the nationality of the perp offend you somehow ?

No, but then I don't have an agenda like you

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

Although I'm sure the usual maniacs here will still find a way to defend him.

So you're jumping with glee because it was a migrant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Look at those nasty BBC folks (reporting news and such like), and giving very basic details of the chap that was arrested, they must have 'de agenda' doing this (eyeroll).

2b8IsdS.png

The NYTimes and thestandard newspapers did it too (for anyone triggered by such simple news reporting of facts).
    What's de world coming too? They even gave his age, the age-ists!
    One of the news outlets called him a man also without asking, he might identify as something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It looks like the feminists and flying spaghetti monster people are off the hook this time.

So you're jumping with glee because it was a migrant.

I am indeed no way jumping with glee at this disgusting crime. I was ridiculed for suggesting that the Rwandan national was the most likely culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I am indeed no way jumping with glee at this disgusting crime. I was ridiculed for suggesting that the Rwandan national was the most likely culprit.

No, you were ridiculed, rightly, because your own article that you linked to, contradicted your assertion. That’s why I said you tried, and you failed, because you did fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Look at those nasty BBC folks (reporting news and such like), and giving very basic details of the chap that was arrested, they must have 'de agenda' doing this (eyeroll).

2b8IsdS.png

The NYTimes and thestandard newspapers did it too (for anyone triggered by such simple news reporting of facts).
    What's de world coming too? They even gave his age, the age-ists!
    One of the news outlets called him a man also without asking, he might identify as something else.

I bet they assumed his gender too, the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Has it been clarified why the Rwandan fella went for the church and not something else?
    Right now it seems like an opportunistic fire and not religious/terroistic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Apparently he was a volunteer there for quite a while already.
    But his asylum had been refused so he set the place on fire. As you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Arson investigators probe fires at Weymouth church

This was a targetted attack.
    The arson investigation at the Catholic church comes in the wake of two desecration incidents at Catholic churches in Boston last month. A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary was set ablaze outside St. Peter’s Parish in Dorchester on the same mid-July night when a barrel was placed over another Virgin Mary statue outside St. Teresa of Calcutta Parish.

While I understand that in this day and age a fair few people are not religious while the vast majority are respectful to those who are. Im Catholic and when I see these kinds of attacks feels like their intentionally ignored as they become globally visible. It makes me that sad & angry it becomes frightening. I know for a fact Im not the only Catholic who feels like this or feels these kind of emotions, but nothing reported in the media etc in the same way other religions are protected through coverage.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08/03/arson-investigators-probe-incident-at-weymouth-church/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I think his being a migrant is likely to be merely coincidental. Without further evidence I'd assume that he has got mental issues.

For it to be agenda based It'd almost absolutely have to be anti-Catholic. That's likely to be religion vs religion or militant secularism (read Communist) vs religion.

Rwanda isn't an isalmic country, nor does it have much of a communist presence there as far as I know.

Furthermore the guy confessed. I assume that if they had had enough evidence to charge him they simply would have.

Consequently I'd say that mental issues were the main thing, which essentially makes it random.

I think his being a migrant is likely to be merely coincidental.
    Yet this Cathedral hasn't been burned down by any natives for hundreds and hundreds of years.
    Without further evidence I'd assume that he has got mental issues.
    For which (i.e. he is just a mental), you make subjective assumptions with 'zero evidence' to back them.
    For it to be agenda based It'd almost absolutely have to be anti-Catholic. That's likely to be religion vs religion or militant secularism (read Communist) vs religion. Rwanda isn't an isalmic country, nor does it have much of a communist presence there as far as I know.
    This was an attack on the culture or representation of France itself, after his asylum application in France was rejected. Hence clear motive: 'Angry at France' (and it's culture, or idols/icons of France). x3 seperate ignition points shows planning, this was not an impulse based mental action. But an act of hatred and anger in direct response to an unworthy asylum applicaiton.
    Furthermore the guy confessed. I assume that if they had had enough evidence to charge him they simply would have.
    Furthermore, the guy only confessed when new additional evidence was presented to him. Pleading guility in light of new evidence is the smart thing to do in calculated attempt to reduce the pending sentance.
    Consequently I'd say that mental issues were the main thing, which essentially makes it random.
    Random? Jibberish.

Again your views are made without any evidence of lad being a 'mental' or classed with any form of insanity (temporary or otherwise).

after his asylum application in France was rejected.

Do you have any source for that? It changes a lot.

This lad Emmanuel A, was ordered to leave France in March 2020.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/26/asylum-seeker-charged-blaze-threatened-nantes-cathedral/

Immigration laws in France have closed many loopholes, and come with harsher penalties (esp for false photoID: hence the 200per day or so heading for Dover on small boats, nevermind the HGV's and car roof boxes). Time for appeals has been cut short, and process request times shortened.

https://www.france24.com/en/20180421-macron-controversial-immigration-bill-vote-parliament-weekend
    As Macron said himself in recent years:
    “France cannot take in all the misery of the world"

Ah that changes matters entirely. Revenge terrorism for fake asylum claims being refused is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As Macron said himself in recent years:

No country can manage it.

Ideologues like Merkel want all western European nations to try anyway. Politics in Europe is going to get nasty this century. It is inevitable.

So this week a Somalian has been arrested for torching churches in Norway. 2.2m in damage.
    I struggle to fathom why people still believe there is zero chance that Notre Dame was torched? Are people really that naive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

topper75 wrote: »
    No country can manage it.

Ideologues like Merkel want all western European nations to try anyway. Politics in Europe is going to get nasty this century. It is inevitable.

Politics gets nasty every century in Europe. French Revolution, Napolean, color revolutions of 1848, Scramble for Africa, Rise Communism, Rise of Fascism.
    Though on the bright side, as European international influence wanes, the rest of the world won't be sucked into European issues as much

Advertisement