Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire at Nantes Cathedral

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Yeah but judging violent yobs on their past actions is just not on but collectively judging entire ethnicities is common sense. Just so long as they're not ethnicities you belong to, of course, because that's the evil lefty (((cultural Marxist))) academics conspiring to destroy white people. And if you don't watch these ten hours of Youtube videos about why this immigrant definitely did this thing there's no proof of them doing, you're just a dupe for the schemes of the (((elites))).

It's like they don't realise they're all singing from the same hymn sheet and once you've seen it once before they can't fool people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

There’s no at best or at worst about it, he could have locked the place up securely but vandals being vandals and all, y’know? If they’re determined enough they’ll overcome any security, and it still wouldn’t mean this chap was responsible, either for the vandals breaking in, or for the fire that was started. Even the French authorities themselves have said -

Surely a landmark building would have an alarm system that would have alerted the Police of a break in.

So if he didn't start it he certainly helped by not properly locking the doors and not turning on the alarm system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Surely a landmark building would have an alarm system that would have alerted the Police of a break in.

So if he didn't start it he certainly helped by not properly locking the doors and not turning on the alarm system.

Yeah you’d think alright. Could think a lot of things, but in order to convict anyone of any wrongdoing, you’d have to be able to provide evidence. Simply stating that a ‘Rwandan refugee arrested for deliberately starting 3 different fires from the inside of the St Peters and Pauls cathedral’, is an obvious falsehood. Even the article splashum linked to, contradicts their own assertion.

That’s all I wanted to clear up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    The fire started in three different areas of the cathedral.

0512148_9780349144337_625.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Rwandan fella released without charge.
    Investigation continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

biko wrote: »
    Investigation continues.
    Yes, I imagine the investigation will just peter out to nothing ... deny deny deny .... no problem at all in France !!! - BIGOTS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Yes, I imagine the investigation will just peter out to nothing ... deny deny deny .... no problem at all in France !!! - BIGOTS!!!
    sorry Tom, who are bigots? Are you suggesting some sort of mass conspiracy because they have not deported / locked up / executed the immigrant at this point?

If we look at church burnings around Europe, who has been responsible?
    In Norway - Satanists.
    In 1992, members of the Norwegian black metal scene began a wave of arson attacks on Christian churches. By 1996, there had been at least 50 attacks in Norway; in every case that was solved, those responsible were black metal fans.

In US - Satanists.
    Holden Matthews, 22, admitted to starting the fires to raise his profile as a "black metal" musician, prosecutors said.
    He burned three Baptist churches in the Opelousas area over 10 days beginning in late March 2019.

That said, it seems lefties isn't leaving churches alone either.
    It would be quite a stretch to blame churches for George Floyd’s death, police brutality or Confederate memorials, yet houses of worship and religious statues are coming under attack in the protest mayhem.

Last weekend, at least four Catholic Church-affiliated buildings and statues from Boston to Los Angeles were set on fire or vandalized. A blaze that gutted the 249-year-old San Gabriel Mission, once led by Father Junipero Serra, is being investigated as possible arson.

“Given that there were four attacks on Catholic churches nationwide over a 48 hour period, from July 10 to July 12, suspicion, obviously, turns toward the left wing extremists who have been toppling statues of Saint Junipero Serra and attempting to remove a statue of Saint Louis,” Catholic Action League Executive Director C.J. Doyle said in an email.
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/15/black-lives-matter-protesters-turn-rage-churches-r/

About France itself
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/churches-destroyed-in-france/

Verdict: Miscaptioned
    While this image is often shared as if it shows all of the churches that were “destroyed” in France, this map actually documents a wide range of nefarious activity, such as vandalism, theft, and arson, that occurred at both churches and cemeteries over an apparent span of two years (not four), covering 2017 and 2018.

It should also be noted that while this map does document some relatively serious crimes, such as arson or the toppling of church statues, many of these pins correspond to graffiti-related incidents. We also found one pin related to a person’s simply interrupting a church service.

fb-meme-churches.jpg

You can find the real map on https://www.christianophobie.fr/carte
    As you can see in the image there are different icons for different attacks.
    incendie.png is "Incendie criminel" - arson

Catholic Churches Are Being Desecrated Across France—and Officials Don't Know Why

Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

its funny, newsweek comments section is very similar to here....
    the person being interviewed states
    "The pressure is coming from the radical secularists or anti-religion groups as well as feminist activists who tend to target churches as a symbol of the patriarchy that needs to be dismantled,"

the response from the comments section is filled with - "what about da muslims" rage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It looks like the feminists and Flying Spaghetti Monster people are going to be thrown under l'autobus to protect the non-whites.

It's interesting watching the deck of protected groups being shuffled like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

'Newsweak' seem to be giving the feminists a hard ride^.

Surely the Churches of France are the least of their worries, when there are still manhole covers, on every street.
    It's likely their activists have a greater manifesto to manoeuvre from, such as mandatory equal pay in the workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,645 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It looks like the feminists and Flying Spaghetti Monster people are going to be thrown under l'autobus to protect the non-whites.

It's interesting watching the deck of protected groups being shuffled like this.

Why do they need protection in relation to this incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Edit: If that is where people involved with the religion believe the trouble is coming from, I wouldn't tend to discount it.

With the "holier than thou" atheist types, bring up Christianity in any positive way (esp. the Catholic church here in Ireland) and the venom really starts to flow.

As with any angry group with a "cause", you could see a few of the stupider/younger or more violent types being inclined to take their hatred over into physical actions in the real world such as offensive graffiti/vandalism.

As for a hierarchy of protection, such people will (metaphorically) throw rocks all day at Christianity/Catholicism. Islam is immune from them IMO both due to minority faith status and the fact that Islamic fundamentalists react violently when Islam is seen to be "attacked", and doing so is a very dangerous business.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Edit: If that is where people involved with the religion believe the trouble is coming from, I wouldn't tend to discount it.

With the "holier than thou" atheist types, bring up Christianity in any positive way (esp. the Catholic church here in Ireland) and the venom really starts to flow.

As with any angry group with a "cause", you could see a few of the stupider/younger or more violent types being inclined to take their hatred over into physical actions in the real world such as offensive graffiti/vandalism.

As for a hierarchy of protection, such people will (metaphorically) throw rocks all day at Christianity/Catholicism. Islam is immune from them IMO both due to minority faith status and the fact that Islamic fundamentalists react violently when Islam is seen to be "attacked", and doing so is a very dangerous business.

I'm aware of the anti-clerical atheist types, but we've had them for a long time and they haven't bothered to burn churches. It could be them, but I find it hard to believe.

I'm suspicious of these church attacks in diverse France, and I don't underestimate the eagerness of the French authorities to keep a lid on things by suppressing information about who's really responsible, or merely by neglecting to investigate when they suspect who's responsible.

Edit: I suppose I find it amusing that the feminist groups in particular can be blamed when the alternative is to blame immigrant groups. It's like the "Karens" in the US. They spend their lives on what they think is the correct side, only to find themselves out in the cold when the narrative shifts.

The damage doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it will be quick to rebuild.

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

About France itself
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/churches-destroyed-in-france/

Verdict: Miscaptioned

fb-meme-churches.jpg

You can find the real map on https://www.christianophobie.fr/

That is very disturbing.
    I wonder how much media coverage would we get if attacks were happening on the centres of worship of some other religions. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I've twice been in Barca twice mad that I never got to the GSF. Will do someday. Only took four trips to Rome to see the Pantheon.

Piece of advice, go to the Pantheon for mass.
    The tourist throngs are not in there, you can just sit and take in the place for over half and hour.
    Great way to relax for a while from hussle and bussle of Rome.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'm aware of the anti-clerical atheist types, but we've had them for a long time and they haven't bothered to burn churches. It could be them, but I find it hard to believe.

I'm suspicious of these church attacks in diverse France, and I don't underestimate the eagerness of the French authorities to keep a lid on things by suppressing information about who's really responsible, or merely by neglecting to investigate when they suspect who's responsible.

I don't know. Was only going on that posted 2019 newsweek article about France where it was some sort of religious group interested in keeping track of this stuff (not the authorities) which was quoted as pointing a finger at anarchists and extreme feminists in particular.
    The Vienna-based Observatory of Intolerance and Discrimination Against Christians in Europe, which was founded in cooperation with the Council of European Bishops Conferences (CCEE) but is now independent said there had been a 25 percent increase in attacks on Catholic churches in the first two months of the year, compared with the same time last year.

Its executive director, Ellen Fantini, told Newsweek that while in many cases the motive for the attacks was not known, France faced growing problems with anti-Christian violence, especially by anarchist and feminist groups.

I know our "anti-Clerical" lot here in Ireland have not escalated to vandalism and desecration of churches.

The religious are supportive of rights of muslims & immigrants etc. but I think they would say so if they believed muslims were doing alot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This boils my p*ss

EdZE4kIXgAE48s0?format=jpg&name=mediumEdZFpXxXgAAp3db?format=jpg&name=largeEdZFpX_XkAAPzXm?format=jpg&name=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The loss of such craftsman ship and history. Soon we'll have a bland culture with no diversity and a list of banned tv shows. The world is gone to hell in a handbasket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Investigation continues.

And now arrested again and he has confessed.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/26/nantes-cathedral-blaze-volunteer-admits-setting-up-fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolutely disgusting - I hope he does a long prison spell then back to Rwanda with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No smoke without fire this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Life will go on without some dusty old church. So long as nobody was injured in this attack, that's the most important thing tbh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Maybe this was covered already but have they ever found out the cause of the fire at Notre Dame.

Supposedly, it's a conspiracy theory to suggest it may have been arson. However, has any real investigation of the site occurred?

This last I heard was that investigators could not access the area due to safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

The Rwandan migrant has confessed to burning down the historic church.

Although I'm sure the usual maniacs here will still find a way to defend him.

But sure there’s nothing to defend him from? He hasn’t been accused of anything by the French authorities. He’s only regarded as the main suspect by you, even though your own bloody article says otherwise!

What’s actually laughable is your attempt at guilt by association. Save it for jesus sake, you tried, you failed. Be grand.

You mean " you failed ". Be grand.:rolleyes:

splashuum wrote: »

Why does his nationality mean so much to you?

• Advertisement

Why does his nationality mean so much to you?

Does mentioning the nationality of the perp offend you somehow ?

No, I didn’t fail anything because I didn’t accuse anyone without evidence, like you did.

Does mentioning the nationality of the perp offend you somehow ?

No, but then I don't have an agenda like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

Although I'm sure the usual maniacs here will still find a way to defend him.

So you're jumping with glee because it was a migrant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Look at those nasty BBC folks (reporting news and such like), and giving very basic details of the chap that was arrested, they must have 'de agenda' doing this (eyeroll).

2b8IsdS.png

The NYTimes and thestandard newspapers did it too (for anyone triggered by such simple news reporting of facts).
    What's de world coming too? They even gave his age, the age-ists!
    One of the news outlets called him a man also without asking, he might identify as something else.

It looks like the feminists and flying spaghetti monster people are off the hook this time.

So you're jumping with glee because it was a migrant.

I am indeed no way jumping with glee at this disgusting crime. I was ridiculed for suggesting that the Rwandan national was the most likely culprit.

I am indeed no way jumping with glee at this disgusting crime. I was ridiculed for suggesting that the Rwandan national was the most likely culprit.

No, you were ridiculed, rightly, because your own article that you linked to, contradicted your assertion. That’s why I said you tried, and you failed, because you did fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Look at those nasty BBC folks (reporting news and such like), and giving very basic details of the chap that was arrested, they must have 'de agenda' doing this (eyeroll).

2b8IsdS.png

The NYTimes and thestandard newspapers did it too (for anyone triggered by such simple news reporting of facts).
    What's de world coming too? They even gave his age, the age-ists!
    One of the news outlets called him a man also without asking, he might identify as something else.

I bet they assumed his gender too, the bastards!

Has it been clarified why the Rwandan fella went for the church and not something else?
    Right now it seems like an opportunistic fire and not religious/terroistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Apparently he was a volunteer there for quite a while already.
    But his asylum had been refused so he set the place on fire. As you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Arson investigators probe fires at Weymouth church

This was a targetted attack.
    The arson investigation at the Catholic church comes in the wake of two desecration incidents at Catholic churches in Boston last month. A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary was set ablaze outside St. Peter’s Parish in Dorchester on the same mid-July night when a barrel was placed over another Virgin Mary statue outside St. Teresa of Calcutta Parish.

While I understand that in this day and age a fair few people are not religious while the vast majority are respectful to those who are. Im Catholic and when I see these kinds of attacks feels like their intentionally ignored as they become globally visible. It makes me that sad & angry it becomes frightening. I know for a fact Im not the only Catholic who feels like this or feels these kind of emotions, but nothing reported in the media etc in the same way other religions are protected through coverage.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08/03/arson-investigators-probe-incident-at-weymouth-church/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I think his being a migrant is likely to be merely coincidental. Without further evidence I'd assume that he has got mental issues.

For it to be agenda based It'd almost absolutely have to be anti-Catholic. That's likely to be religion vs religion or militant secularism (read Communist) vs religion.

Rwanda isn't an isalmic country, nor does it have much of a communist presence there as far as I know.

Furthermore the guy confessed. I assume that if they had had enough evidence to charge him they simply would have.

Consequently I'd say that mental issues were the main thing, which essentially makes it random.

I think his being a migrant is likely to be merely coincidental.
    Yet this Cathedral hasn't been burned down by any natives for hundreds and hundreds of years.
    Without further evidence I'd assume that he has got mental issues.
    For which (i.e. he is just a mental), you make subjective assumptions with 'zero evidence' to back them.
    For it to be agenda based It'd almost absolutely have to be anti-Catholic. That's likely to be religion vs religion or militant secularism (read Communist) vs religion. Rwanda isn't an isalmic country, nor does it have much of a communist presence there as far as I know.
    This was an attack on the culture or representation of France itself, after his asylum application in France was rejected. Hence clear motive: 'Angry at France' (and it's culture, or idols/icons of France). x3 seperate ignition points shows planning, this was not an impulse based mental action. But an act of hatred and anger in direct response to an unworthy asylum applicaiton.
    Furthermore the guy confessed. I assume that if they had had enough evidence to charge him they simply would have.
    Furthermore, the guy only confessed when new additional evidence was presented to him. Pleading guility in light of new evidence is the smart thing to do in calculated attempt to reduce the pending sentance.
    Consequently I'd say that mental issues were the main thing, which essentially makes it random.
    Random? Jibberish.

Again your views are made without any evidence of lad being a 'mental' or classed with any form of insanity (temporary or otherwise).

after his asylum application in France was rejected.

Do you have any source for that? It changes a lot.

This lad Emmanuel A, was ordered to leave France in March 2020.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/26/asylum-seeker-charged-blaze-threatened-nantes-cathedral/

Immigration laws in France have closed many loopholes, and come with harsher penalties (esp for false photoID: hence the 200per day or so heading for Dover on small boats, nevermind the HGV's and car roof boxes). Time for appeals has been cut short, and process request times shortened.

https://www.france24.com/en/20180421-macron-controversial-immigration-bill-vote-parliament-weekend
    As Macron said himself in recent years:
    “France cannot take in all the misery of the world"

Ah that changes matters entirely. Revenge terrorism for fake asylum claims being refused is nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As Macron said himself in recent years:

No country can manage it.

Ideologues like Merkel want all western European nations to try anyway. Politics in Europe is going to get nasty this century. It is inevitable.

So this week a Somalian has been arrested for torching churches in Norway. 2.2m in damage.
    I struggle to fathom why people still believe there is zero chance that Notre Dame was torched? Are people really that naive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

topper75 wrote: »
    No country can manage it.

Ideologues like Merkel want all western European nations to try anyway. Politics in Europe is going to get nasty this century. It is inevitable.

Politics gets nasty every century in Europe. French Revolution, Napolean, color revolutions of 1848, Scramble for Africa, Rise Communism, Rise of Fascism.
    Though on the bright side, as European international influence wanes, the rest of the world won't be sucked into European issues as much

Advertisement