Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Nantes Cathedral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've twice been in Barca twice mad that I never got to the GSF. Will do someday. Only took four trips to Rome to see the Pantheon.

Yeah the Sagrada Familia is an epic building as is much of Gaudis architecture all over Barcelona. When I was last there they were saying that construction on it is due to be complete in 2025. Which Im guessing makes it the longest ever construction project- they first started it in 1882 :eek:

If you're back would highly recommend a tour of Gaudis house on Las Ramblas. Walking around it is like being in some sort of fairytale, he had to have been on acid. His mushroom shaped fireplace and seating area is bizarre but at the same time genius

0d72574803bacdb94756496cd177fc1c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah the Sagrada Familia is an epic building as is much of Gaudis architecture all over Barcelona. When I was last there they were saying that construction on it is due to be complete in 2025. Which Im guessing makes it the longest ever construction project- they first started it in 1882 :eek:

If you're back would highly recommend a tour of Gaudis house on Las Ramblas. Walking around it is like being in some sort of fairytale, he had to have been on acid. His mushroom shaped fireplace and seating area is bizarre but at the same time genius

0d72574803bacdb94756496cd177fc1c.jpg

Thanks a million for the recommendation, if you ever get to Prague checkout the dancing house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

:mad:
    2u2me wrote: »
    Follows Notre Dame from last year. What exactly is so flammable in cathedrals in France recently. Apart from a few wooden benches it's mostly just a load of stone?

Wooden benches :)

Well apart from dozens of wooden pews, there's loads of flammable materials in any Church or Cathedral ....thankfully the roof didn't catch fire this time.

Arson apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Arsonists usually bring their own accelerant.

Thanks a million for the recommendation, if you ever get to Prague checkout the dancing house.
    ah yeah thats by Frank Gehry who is literally my favourite living architect. He has apartment buildings in Dusseldorf in a similar style that look like they are going to fall over. Went to see them a few years back when we went to Germany for a Borrusia Dortmund game just up the road from Dusseldorf. Theyre a real mind bend, he plays tricks on your eyes by the way he places windows at various protruding angles.

5a984fe9059e33a90b9c2a0ddbefff57efc2e922.jpg

My favourite by Gehry though is his Las Vegas Hospital for Brain Health. Its just so ridiculously off the wall. They do tours of it if you contact the hospital in advance, its been on my bucket list for a few years now.

This is the inside
    frank-gerhy-building-2.jpg
    And ouside, ironic that its a brain clinic
    LOU-RUVO.jpg

• Advertisement

ah yeah thats by Frank Gehry who is literally my favourite living architect. He has apartment buildings in Dusseldorf in a similar style that look like they are going to fall over. Went to see them a few years back when we went to Germany for a Borrusia Dortmund game just up the road from Dusseldorf. Theyre a real mind bend, he plays tricks on your eyes by the way he places windows at various protruding angles

My favourite by Gehry though is his Las Vegas Hospital for Brain Health. Its just so ridiculously off the wall. They do tours of it if you contact the hospital in advance, its been on my bucket list for a few years now.

This is the inside
    LOU-RUVO.jpg

Surreal stuff, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Multiculturalism they said, it'll be grand they said.
    Never ones to let a good tragedy go to waste, of course. Can't actually wait until the facts come out, oh no, not when you've got immigrants to hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Surreal stuff, thanks
    Yep....could you imagine the builders working on it...I'd say there was a collective "wha dafuq" :D

Yep....could you imagine the builders working on it...I'd say there was a collective "wha dafuq" :D

I'd say as Muh has suggested about another architect, they probably scratched their heads and said "what the fuq is he on".
    Incredible structures though, says as much about the talents of the builders that they could translate a drawing into such a building. Mind bending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Polar101

Multiculturalism they said, it'll be grand they said.

Thankfully the fire services were quick on scene, and special thanks to the boards.ie investigators who caught the culprit already.

• Advertisement

I'd say as Muh has suggested about another architect, they probably scratched their heads and said "what the fuq is he on".
    Incredible structures though, says as much about the talents of the builders that they could translate a drawing into such a building. Mind bending.

yeah Gehrys work is so just far out there, he did the Guggenheim muesum in Bilbao as well. Was reading that Bilbao was a sleepy backwater in terms of tourism till that building went up and then the when it was finished it featured on the front pages of magazines and newspapers worldwide. That building literally put Bilbao on the map and suddenly thousands of tourists were flocking there to see it. The local council reckon its paid for itself a few times over with the increased tourism and awareness of the city. Its now automatic that when you think of Bilbao you think of the Guggenheim muesum.

I've always wished that Dublin city council would do something similar and get a world class architect in to create a statement building for the city. Something that people would actually get on a plane to come here and see. Sadly the standards of architecture DCC permit are pretty low so it wont be happening anytime soon.

yeah Gehrys work is so just far out there, he did the Guggenheim muesum in Bilbao as well. Was reading that Bilbao was a sleepy backwater in terms of tourism till that building went up and then the when it was finished it featured on the front pages of magazines and newspapers worldwide. That building literally put Bilbao on the map and suddenly thousands of tourists were flocking there to see it. The local council reckon its paid for itself a few times over with the increased tourism and awareness of the city. Its now automatic that when you think of Bilbao you think of the Guggenheim muesum.

I've always wished that Dublin city council would do something similar and get a world class architect in to create a statement building for the city. Something that people would actually get on a plane to come here and see. Sadly the standards of architecture DCC permit are pretty low so it wont be happening anytime soon.

Dublin is pretty dismal architecture wise, we pulled down some incredible Georgian buildings. I can't think of one decent structure in Dublin built in the last 50 years.

Leo Varadkar's ego?

Built on sand, transient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Leo Varadkar's ego?
    Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I wonder what could be causing French churches to spontaneously combust? Strange things seem to be happening all across France but its not a coincidence that Churches in France are attacked, damaged and set on fire all the time. The churches and cathedrals in predominantly Christian countries like Ireland and Poland aren’t burning for some reason. What could be causing these fires in France ? There must be something an electrician did wrong maybe because these fires and attacks on Christian churches does not seem to affect mosques , synagogues or other places of worship but its specific disastrous for Christian churches. After the destruction of Saint-Sulpice and Notre-Dame, will Macron's government dare to present the Nantes Cathedral's fire as "just another accident"? I wouldn't put it past the bellend. I also wonder how long the media in France and globally, will continue to ignore these attacks as they do with the discrimination, intolerance and violence against Christians in Cyprus, Egypt, and Nigeria etc.

26 Churches have been attacked/burned in 2019 alone in France nevermind over the past decade . This is no coincidence. Sh*te smeared on the walls in Notre-Dame-des-Enfants church in Nîmes. Stained glass windows smashed and the organ at Saint-Denis Basilica just outside Paris was vandalized and a fire in Saint-Sulpice church in Paris. There is a pattern.

See pictures of thw Nantes cathedral damage here

Oh God, here come the conspiracy theories already... Do we really have to suffer through another round of entertaining the idea that there's some grand conspiracy to suppress the truth of the Notre-Dame fire? Well considering certain people get very angry when you point out that the authorities are more worth believing than some conspiracy theorist, I'm sure we will.

That's the worst thing about conspiracy theories - by their nature, the true believers will never accept evidence to the contrary. They'll claim it's been manufactured by the conspirators and you're either one of them or a witless dupe in their scehemes.
    Nantes has, alas, become a city where the nihilists, anarchists, Antifa and other scum of the same flour swarm. It is in these circles that the police investigation will no doubt be directed, which, we hope, will lay hands on the evildoers who committed this unspeakable act.
    Yep, that sounds like an unbiased source to me! Though I'm sure it plays quite nicely into the usual conspiracy theorists' ideas. Just not the ones who seem intent on twisting this into a stick to beat the devious forrins with. Not to worry, they'll find some way to blame them, light on facts and evidence as they always are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Oh God, here come the conspiracy theories already... Do we really have to suffer through another round of entertaining the idea that there's some grand conspiracy to suppress the truth of the Notre-Dame fire? Well considering certain people get very angry when you point out that the authorities are more worth believing than some conspiracy theorist, I'm sure we will.

That's the worst thing about conspiracy theories - by their nature, the true believers will never accept evidence to the contrary. They'll claim it's been manufactured by the conspirators and you're either one of them or a witless dupe in their scehemes.

Yep, that sounds like an unbiased source to me! Though I'm sure it plays quite nicely into the usual conspiracy theorists' ideas. Just not the ones who seem intent on twisting this into a stick to beat the devious forrins with. Not to worry, they'll find some way to blame them, light on facts and evidence as they always are.

Where on earth are you finding your quotes? Seems like you are the one linking and quoting what you call biased conspiracy quotes and then lamenting them. :confused:
    I believe so far that the evidence points to arson. And that an investigation will have to take place. I have heard nothing about crazy arson-loving nihilists running around Nantes, except from you.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Where on earth are you finding your quotes?
    From the article linked above my post. Just used Google to translate it, which seemed to do a decent job.
    Nantes est, hélas, devenue une ville ou les nihilistes, anarchistes, Antifa et autres racailles de la même farine pullulent. C’est dans ces milieux que s’orientera sans doute l’enquête policière qui, espérons-le, mettra la main sur les malfaisants qui ont commis cet acte inqualifiable.
    Is the original French.
    I believe so far that the evidence points to arson. And that an investigation will have to take place. I have heard nothing about crazy arson-loving nihilists running around Nantes, except from you.
    Except from the article 1800_Ladladlad linked. Perhaps if you'd looked at it yourself you wouldn't have had to project your own wild ideas onto me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

"No no no don't look at that, look over here at me"

From the article linked above my post. Just used Google to translate it, which seemed to do a decent job.

Is the original French.

Except from the article 1800_Ladladlad linked. Perhaps if you'd looked at it yourself you wouldn't have had to project your own wild ideas onto me.

Oh right, thanks. I just looked quickly at the pictures. I did not read it.

I suppose on the whole whoever did this will have to be found, whoever they are. And the situation with Church arson or defacement will have to be looked at seriously in a broader depoliticised context whereby whatever is the truth comes out.

• Advertisement

You are a new reg and judging by your militant posting style across CA, you stink to the high heavens of someone who works for a NGO.
    Oh good lord, is this the latest one? NGOs paying people to post online? What, did you hear about Russia's troll farms and decide there must be some way you can use that yourself? NGOs, now I really have seen it all...

But if I'm getting under the skin of a racist like yourself then I must be doing something right. :D

Aha, that was quite sneaky! Completely changing your post while I was responding! Can't say I'm surprised that someone like yourself would do that. Can't have people drawing attention to your agenda now, can we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Figures released by French police showed that 875 of France’s churches were vandalised last year.
    A further 129 churches reported thefts from the premises, the interior ministry said that 59 cemeteries were also vandalised.
    Every day, at least two churches are profaned.

It does look like a constant and orchestrated series of attacks.
    Bear in mind just two weeks ago Safiyya Shaikh got locked up for life, for her plans to destory St Paul's Cathedral in London.

And of those 875, who were the culprits identified? Because you appear to be making quite the leap to a conclusion without presenting any evidence for it. Bearing in mind that France and England are different countries, too, and Safiyya Shaikh is one person (not 875), I'm not quite sure what relation that has. Unless, as I say, you're drawing a conclusion from it.

Which, y'know, you are but we all have to do this idiotic dance and pretend no one could possibly see through these paper-thin covers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Historically these cathredals were built when the continent had a collective identify of Christendom. Workmen and Craftsmen came from across Europe to create these buildings in projects that lasted for decades, a collective effort that is a monument to our forebearers. That there is a spate of targetted arson across France is blow to present day EU citizens as well as the common cultural heritage.

Manach wrote: »
    Historically these cathredals were built when the continent had a collective identify of Christendom. Workmen and Craftsmen came from across Europe to create these buildings in projects that lasted for decades, a collective effort that is a monument to our forebearers. That there is a spate of targetted arson across France is blow to present day EU citizens as well as the common cultural heritage.

I have been listening to a few history podcasts recently on my walks and it is amazing how cultures have risen to greatness and then fallen to complete ruins. London, for example, was built up by the Romans between 1st and 5th century AD and then when the final announcement was made that the Empire was withdrawing (410 I think) the city, its grand buildings, and outlying villas were literally abandoned to become ruined. The only people who lived there were scavengers. We have this idea of permanence now which unfortunately has never persisted in history. The people in Britain after the Romans withdrew reverted to cruder pottery, forgot Latin, forgot how to write, could not rebuild any of the structures that crumbled and tales of how giants had once been there were used to explain the remnants. Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I fear for France looking at the situation there.

A tinder box reaching higher temperatures than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭francois

Subtext: the Muslims did it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ruth211

I hope they can repair the damage. It's sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ah yeah thats by Frank Gehry who is literally my favourite living architect. He has apartment buildings in Dusseldorf in a similar style that look like they are going to fall over. Went to see them a few years back when we went to Germany for a Borrusia Dortmund game just up the road from Dusseldorf. Theyre a real mind bend, he plays tricks on your eyes by the way he places windows at various protruding angles.

This is the inside
    LOU-RUVO.jpg

I've driven past that place loads of times and always make a mental note to look it up and always forget afterwards. So now I know, thanks!

Advertisement