Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim cleric seeks exemption for Eid event

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You mean like the Catholic church, who got an exemption?
    I had to look this up
    https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/catholic-churches-in-ireland-exempted-from-coronavirus-reopening-limits-44668
    CNA Staff, Jun 26, 2020 Churches and other places of worship in Ireland will be permitted to open to more than 50 people, following a new exception to the country’s Phase Three coronavirus reopening. The exception was announced on Thursday evening.

The Knock Basilica, which is one of the largest churches in Ireland, has a capacity of 10,000 people--yet would not have been permitted to host more than 50 people inside under the existing Phase Three restrictions.

Meeting this afternoon, the Cabinet gave approval for churches and other places of worship to be exempted from the rule which will still apply to other indoor venues.
    So all places of worship are exempt.
    Hence the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland with a capacity of 1700 people will work for Eid.
    The mosque is already exempt and has the required capacity.

Fun fact
    The Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland endorsed the No Vote for the Abortion Vote and the No vote for the removal of the blasphemy ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Simplest thing to do is pare the numbers down to whatever is allowed in outdoor gatherings, 200 I think. Sorted surely?

Or have two or three gatherings <200 to cater for everyone.

Or as @Biko said above have the ceremony in the huge mosque.

We all have our part to play in this.

An interview with the cleric Umar Al-Qadri in 2015
    I'm kinda liking this guy for his view on women.
    Al-Qadri told <him> that women were equal, didn’t have to hand over money they earned, and couldn’t be forced to cook.

And he isn't getting payouts from the wahhabists.
    Al-Qadri does stress his independence. Mosques tend to be funded by large religious organisations or wealthy scions; his Islamic centre isn’t, he says.

Instead, it’s funded by mosque members and a cut of the proceeds from his halal-certification business, he says.

Although the Sheik himself seem ok with LGBT the same cannot be said for members of the Muslim Youth Council of Ireland:
    Shaykh Al-Qadri, who is chairman of the council and imam at the Al-Mustafa Islamic Centre mosque, said members of the Muslim Youth Council of Ireland had questioned his invitation to LGBT people to take part in the Iftar.

“How can you do this? Are you condoning homosexuality?” they had asked him, he said.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/06/10/an-imam-tries-to-grow-his-influence
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/muslim-leader-criticised-over-insulting-invite-to-gay-people-1.2707041

So it went ahead.

200 men gathered (no wimmins allowed I suppose) to pray to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim to follow Allah's command to sacrifice his son.

Note how 200 men could not fit into the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland with a capacity of 1700 people.
    Instead a sportsground for 80 thousand were needed.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

biko wrote: »
    So it went ahead.

200 men gathered (no wimmins allowed I suppose) to pray to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim to follow Allah's command to sacrifice his son.

Note how 200 men could not fit into the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland with a capacity of 1700 people.

image.jpg
    Not allowed is why, max of 50 inside and outside events encouraged at present says the roadmap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

biko wrote: »
    So it went ahead.

image.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Indoor gatherings are a lot riskier.

That looks about as safe as you'll get tbh. The religious aspect, who gives a fucck. I'm no fan of the church either but I'd have no problem with Mass being done in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

There were women at the event, both speaking and praying, but they were segregated from the men.

Hopefully, seeing this backwards sight on their teles this morning will frighten a lot of middle-aged folk and pensioners into voting for the National Party next time out.

521742.jpg

521743.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I thought the GAA didn't allow foreign sports in their grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well it's done now and looks safe enough to me. As I said in an earlier post 200 outdoors should always have been the max allowed, and thankfully it was. Otherwise it would have set a precedent.

Move on now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Agreed - it's a non-story despite what some wish to make of it

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement