Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Ireland gets to keep the €13 billion Apple money tomorrow

Options
  • 14-07-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,701 ✭✭✭✭
    M

So tomorrow the General Court of the European Union will decide whether Ireland is owed €13 billion in tax from Apple.

I prupose that everyone in the country is given a €2500 voucher to spend on Apple tat to lighten the blow on the company and promote technology in the country.

Any other ideas on what to blow the money on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

How much will be left after all the other EU states make their claim for a share.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,701 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much will be left after all the other EU states make their claim for a share.

Feck them, the money is resting in our account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Give every adult 3500 cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

An Irish Space program

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

We could do something boring and pay off 1/12th of our national debt?

Dull, but maybe slightly improves things for future generations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,938 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d be amazed if the ruling went our way first off. Big business over the last 10 years have dictated policy of our governments, I wouldn’t be surprised if they could influence our courts.

Secondly, what ‘payment plan’ might the courts insist on ‘if’ they rule in the states favor ?

Apple has about 270 BILLION In cash assets as of 2019... still, I’d be amazed if this went our way... if it did though it might be years following appeals and arguments.

Invest in health, sport, transport, primarily. Nationwide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Some necessary infrastructure projects.

Boards fantasy wishlist - fighter jets, a new prison, a nuclear power plant and settling the dail bar tab

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

An Irish Space program

We already have that in the shape of Round Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

As an expat, I am always surprised (never shocked) at the lack of basic understanding about this issue by the average Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d be amazed if the ruling went our way first off. Big business over the last 10 years have dictated policy of our governments, I wouldn’t be surprised if they could influence our courts.

Secondly, what ‘payment plan’ might the courts insist on ‘if’ they rule in the states favor ?

Apple has about 270 BILLION In cash assets as of 2019... still, I’d be amazed if this went our way... if it did though it might be years following appeals and arguments.
    Our way? You do know that the Government are arguing that the money isn't due.

It will be appealed, either way.

• Advertisement

Hurling classes for all

Reeducation camps for rugby goys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

An Irish Space program

id like a death laser attached to a satellite please.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Strumms wrote: »

Invest in health, sport, transport, primarily. Nationwide.

Payment plan? The full amount is already in escrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Fix the sanitation/sewerage system, do the Limerick-to-Cork and Derry-to-Dublin roads. Move Ireland down into the bay of Biscay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

As an expat, I am always surprised (never shocked) at the lack of basic understanding about this issue by the average Irish person.

As a boards user, I'm not surprised about your surprise at the lack of basic understanding about this issue by the average Irish person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If Ireland did win, I would love for us to tell all the other EU countries to chase Apple for any taxes owed in their countries. But the bestest boys in the EU will never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Even if we’re awarded it, we’ll just be the executor for the other greedy eu countries.
    If we could keep it though, it’d lessen the blow from covid19 seeing as the package of measures proposed for covid19 will be voted down by same greedy eu members. Also, they’re gonna force us to harmonise the corporate taxes so we should keep it as compensation for the fall out that is going to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

By the time the Dublin Children's hospital and Dublin Metro and 2nd Dublin Airport Runway get built there won't be much left.

You didn't really think BAM downed tools last week because of site safety reasons did you? They got a whiff of a few more billion in the pot.

By the time the Dublin Children's hospital and Dublin Metro and 2nd Dublin Airport Runway get built there won't be much left.

You didn't really think BAM downed tools last week because of site safety reasons did you? They got a whiff of a few more billion in the pot.

But if I had a wish list it would be:

National Broadband Scheme accelerated to be complete by end of 2021.

Complete the motorway web in 4 steps:
    Limerick to Mitchelstown.
    Cahir to Rosslare.
    Thurles to Athlone.
    Galway to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

We could do something boring and pay off 1/12th of our national debt?

Dull, but maybe slightly improves things for future generations?

Feck future generations. What about us here now? I will take a 3 grand check thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We will be lucky to get a couple of Million

Anyone with sense should be hoping that Apple wins this case, otherwise expect a mass of unemployment in Ireland as the US companies pull out....our European friend will pick us dry

AMKC wrote: »
    Feck future generations. What about us here now? I will take a 3 grand check thank you.

You won’t get a penny....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭thomil

Our way? You do know that the Government are arguing that the money isn't due.

It will be appealed, either way.

This is already the appeal, so whatever way the ECJ decides tomorrow, it will be final.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    This is already the appeal, so whatever way the ECJ decides tomorrow, it will be final.

No it’s not, it will be at least 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Monorail??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You won’t get a penny....

Oh I have no interest in a penny sure what would I do with that. A few grand do could end up employing a few people for that and creating some work for a week or two while I get a few jobs done and the money would go back into the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Fix the welfare system.

Fix the hospital system as its leaking money left right and center.

Increase the 3.5 rule to 4.5 for buying property.

Build affordable housing.

Fix the rural broadband situation once and for all.

That's just a few ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Move away and suddenly think you're better than us, do ya?

NSAman wrote: »
    Monorail??

Also known as the Dublin Metro to bring workers
    that no longer exist from empty office blocks in Dublin City center to an airport operating at 25% of pre-covid/zoom demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An Irish Space program
    But we already have one. :confused:

We'll be launching a satellite soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement