Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kerry2021

if I was you I wouldn’t let the milk truck driver get away with that. He does sound like a bad type. It would take him less than 1 minute to put the tank washing. Our truck drivers nearly always put the tank washing. Like I’d understand if it was a brand new man in the job and he genuinely didn’t know how to put it washing or whatever. Put it in writing to both your co-op and the employer of the truck driver that he is leaving the tank on cooling when empty and when/if this leads to a fire you will be holding that man’s employer responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Only 2 switches here? 3 second job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭straight

No I'd say the machine itself is faultless. Might change the air filters now alright though. Clusters were falling off a few last year, still falling off those few and a few more heifers this year. They all have the same "High type" sire....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I was just going to suggest something similar - write it down formally, if you haven't already done so, and send it up the chain of command in the co-op. Phone them as well but get it on paper and create a paper-trail.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭green daries

Absolutely 💯 it's vacuum problems no matter what clusters you have they should stay on the cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What may or may not be in a drivers job discription is dependent on his employer. I presume that the wash cycle on a tank is automated, you press a button and the machine dose the rest. The farmer makes sure the detergent compartments are filled all the time.

Many milk lorries now arrive late evening and night as collection lorry's are contracted out and going sometimes 24 hours a day. It .ay seem simple to you but in many situations the farmer will only know the collection time to +/-2-4 hours.

I do not imagine the driver is expected to spend 30 minutes on site washing a tank. I expect he is only expected to turn a lever or two, and press a couple of buttons, 2-5 minutes at most.

Now on the other hand a fifty or two at the end of the milking season sweetens many palms

I always bet on the sub 70-100 cow man before the 150+ man. Labour cost is a killer, contracting out easier work costs money as well, the further o er 100 cows you go the more complicated the system can become. Zero grazing, maize, straights as well as serious workload around calving.

After 70-100 cows I be concentrating on tge beef operat

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Have a few HOL x NR and I'm very happy with them, have the first generation of the HOL x NR x MO in the calf shed so I won't know for a while.

Before we built the new parlour we got our milk lorry driver to have a look so he couldn't be giving out after we built it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭ginger22

The thing is when you go the 3 way cross you could get anything, very variable, depends on which line they take after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I’d say they sold a lot of robots for lely. They were the last people I thought would go back to a parlour.

A lad not far from here put in 2 robots, they were great. Then he put a 3rd one at the other end of the shed. Pure disaster. Milk wouldn't flow right as it was a fair distance and other problems. He put in a new parlour, there was talk he was suing them, don't know what for

Post edited by whelan2 on

To collect the milk he is meant to turn off the cooling and put the tank agitating. On most tanks it’s just push one button and put a cup on the outlet. 5 seconds. If the man collecting my milk was deliberately leaving the tank cooling I’d block his truck with a tractor until the issue was cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

Have you part time labour that will look after robot if your away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

cows first day to grass 2024:)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

Where I live when bulk milk collection started many moons ago all farmers pressed the button to put the tank washing themselves except where the farmer was maybe going to a wedding etc and he would ask the driver to put the tank washing to do him a favour in return the driver would get a very good present usually at the end of the year now what has happened is most farmers just expect it to be done automatically by the driver and with changes of drivers etc it can happen that the driver might forget or not know about washing the tank but where I come from its not in the drivers contract to wash the bulk tanks its a private arrangement between farmer and driver

Some young dairy farmers need to realise that you need to have curtisoty towards others including lorry drivers instead of throwing tantrums every day or else change and maybe be a tillage farmer or beef finisher and nobody will come into your yard and do any task in your yard for free and then you complain if he doesn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Lightweight clusters are better for yourself as well. No need of weight, repetitive strain the only oucome.

SoSome of your older cows may not transition well to lighter cluster however, and may take quiet some time to milk out..b

• Advertisement

Most tanks now are very modern, just push a button to start wash. A good few farmers dont live on farm so if wash cycle takes 40 minutes it can hold up milking. Up to a few weeks ago milk man was collecting milk at 4am here,grand tank washed for me when I'd go out. Now he's here just after 8am, suits me as I dont have to pay for fully cooling the milk. He puts it on wash.. . He has also rang me at 4am to say there was a cow in difficulty calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You are a very young fellow.

Where I live when milk collection started. An open flat bed lorry pulled up to your gate and the driver and his helper rolled 10 gallon milk cans onto the lorry.

Then bulk milk collection started out of tanks. The driver would mostly give the inside of the tank a rinse of the water pipe beside, after collection, before the farmer when they arrived to put the water and detergent in and wash with a brush the inside of the tank.

Now Grass10 you are complaining of turning two knobs. And this you say is not normal for you. It's normal for as long as automated wash has been on tanks and milk collected.

Your some boy grass10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭older by the day

Blast it its only press two buttons. What is the big deal. Before the automatic washer, the tank driver used to open the cover and give it a splash of the water hose to stop the milk sticking. But now this fuuucker won't press a button. Jesus it's a pity he wasn't calling to my yard. Then again he wouldnt try that Crack here.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

I've no issue with pressing a button I am not a lorry driver nor have ever been I was merely responding to a rant by another poster who is not getting on with his lorry driver and it's very simple you either press the button yourself or arrange with the driver to do it but if you are not getting on with him its still your problem to ensure the tank is washed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

your not grasping my issue re leaving the chiller on, he hasnt put the wash on the last 5 collections i genuinely didnt care i put it on, but now he's trying to damage my equipment, but you cant seem to wrap your head around that, you have another agenda anyway i think ranting about dairy farmers been precious and soft, in any other industry where your providing circa 1 months work for a tanker and driver yearly youd be able to call the shots, why should i be beholden to the above driver

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Ive a fair few nr and there udders and teat placement are a disaster.There great cows otherwise but i wont use anymore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

JJust curious have you discussed this with the driver

Just make him go to the trouble of calling you to move the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

i think Jay has an all picture no sound relationship with the driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

thats a shocking repose from your milk manager jay, he could be as much of your issue as the driver…..its common practice since i started milking the driver puts on the tank, the driver can arrive at any time of day or night, we appreciate each other…respect is everything in business….

every new driver that gets trained the owner of transport show them how to put on the wash on each tank, we never asked, were in food production hygiene is everything and a tank should always be closed, who knows what could crawl into it…

are you on the advisory committee? can you ask for it to be made mandatory….as its the standard every where outside loais

the biggest problem i see in tirlan is the inability to be able to sit down with anyone internally to resolve an issue, no matter how simple or complex they go on the defensive…..you'l have to go through council and board to get any satisfaction and you'l need as many people ringing them about it or they simply wouldnt bother….you have 3 issues milk manager, transport company and the individual driver…..

Advertisement