Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭straight

The place is in a fair state for a man with all the talk.

https://youtu.be/-Mv6T9xLFFw

I heard some commentator say the other day that the French are getting worried about power loss over the winter. Apparently they are more vulnerable than Germany. So much for all your nuclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

All you're missing is those little fire warning signs at the side of the road saying it's a catastrophic fire risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I wouldn't be a fan of them but tis harsh enough to say the place is in a state, he was only in one field sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

They’re already in place.

Big fire last night in a paint factory in local market town 8km away. Took a few other industrial plants also and a few houses. Still burning. Honk of smoke everywhere.

You’re right. France only has 70% capacity nuclear now, and 18% renewables inc hydroelectric. Good few plants have closed with the heat because they can’t release the water used for cooling the plants because the water in the environment is already too hot and it would kill the wildlife.

I’d say that interconnector coming into Youghal from France is a white elephant now and Ireland should stop using it in their calculations of clean energy from 2025. That’ll hurt.

I saw plenty fields and there wouldn't be such overgrown ditches or weeds here. Typical of a man with alot of ground maybe. Just keep moving out the wire.

300 days grazing he said. Fair going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭jaymla627

40-44 degrees 80kph plus winds and spent 2 days in a loader covering pits with clay as major bushfires where raging all around the farm at time , different type of farming out their is all I'd say was out in western Australia around Margaret River

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Hedgerows looked fine to me in that video. I wouldn't be getting out the sprayer for what weeds were there. No harm in giving the wildlife a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭stanflt

If I was 10years younger I’d jump at the opportunity- I love every aspect of farming- dairy tillage etc and have a love of machinery- I take great enjoyment out of efficiency in both my cows and crops- unfortunately the young people of Ireland who have been educated are pushed to the grass based system of low cost- I think imo this has robbed the dairy industry of real leaders and business managers- the amount of people that have visited my farm think we are mad for having so much machinery but in reality their business model doesn’t support an easier lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ginger22

Obviously good land, when you see the old estate stone walls. They didnt build them in the bog. Plenty of nettles around the ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What's your idea of beauty Straight?

Electric fences with grazon 90 and roundup sprayed with a sprayer attachment on the loader with not one tree on a ditch.

Believe it or not Straight he's miles ahead of the game with boundaries and field edges like that. The public look at the grazon 90 and roundup as environmental and ecological damage. And it is. In the one true natural soil area of microbiology that could help the farm reduce It's dependence on artificial fertiliser. And farmers think it looks terrible. Not to mention perpetuating the commentary of Irish dairy farming choosing to make a green desert for themselves. And there's no financial burden with the farmer above having field edges that way.

Buala Bos to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lios67

His place looks fine to me

Nope, plenty biodiversity here. Have miles of hedgerows, ash, sycamore, whitethorn trees. No ragworth though. And the thistles and nettles don't come out the field. I don't know anything much about the man but I'm led to believe he preaches alot on Twitter.

Back to your opening post.

You called his farm in a fair state.

Why in your appreciation of biodiversity did you call it in a fair state then?

• Advertisement

Disclaimer.

Mise right now.

That area would be all gravel around there I'd say. Must be fairly burnt up now. Those lads were laughing at the rest of us on mixed ground for years but the wheel seems to be turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Dawg would struggle to get two robe that age I reckon, 99% of ppl would have a family at that age

Dawg doesn’t sell it as a great lifestyle either, having to work Christmas holidays himself and wife because no one else will

I'm not going to go back and look at the video again but I saw ragworth and thistles and ditches growing away out. I was surprised for a man which I was led to believe had everything done to a tee. Sorry I opened my mouth now. And for your information I don't have a sprayer attachment for the loader.

I'm not judging yourself or himself either way.

But the perceptions of what's needed or acceptable in dairy farming is changing in people's eyes. Like we're not tillage farming. We don't need ditches cut to the scut or ditches sprayed off when a run of a topper will do. It's only putting money in to the merchants pockets and showing up in water quality tests re this nonsense of rush spraying requirements. We have this unique sector of farming that can give wildlife a good home while still giving a good income. Dairy farming is the only farming sector in Ireland that can do this. No shade on yourself but the image of roundup sprayed ditches should have no place in dairy farming in Ireland. Yet it's still held as "smart" looking by some. Wildlife depends on the few thistles and nettles. It starts off the eco chain and the larger obvious wildlife is easy seen after.

Anyway again no shade on yourself. We're all on the one road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

He does a bad job selling it. All his posts on here and I don't think he's ever mentioned whether he has a pool or not.... Too many farming posts!

Got stood down there now. Two forest fires has the fire brigade stretched. Shame about one forest, it was 600ha of mature oak.

Sure you know the craic from WA. I ran a mob in NSW in the 90s. Mainly cotton and wheat. I never thought I’d see the day that N Europe would be the same.

It’d suit you down to the ground because you’ve the experience. You’d be able to hit the ground running. Whatever livestock, machinery, growing crops etc etc would be yours on the day. Ebidta would be multiples of what you’d be paying me, including all wages paid. All debt free on the day.

If there’s another year like this next year it’d be fair easy to put a fair ball of ground together. I’m pretty maxed out now machinery wise so any major expansion would need kit going out a few meters wider and rubber tracks. I’m not going to do that now at my age. I’d stay on as a non exec director for at least 10yrs.

Tax man would rape me if I sold out so a partnership would suit me

Give me a call.

It’s not a great lifestyle because I’ve no resources or family here. Either way we only milk etc on Xmas and Easter, we’ve staff for that the rest of the year. Anyhow there’s plenty other more important stuff to do.

Two things that are hardship, apart from farming in general…the natives and the total lack of resources. In Ireland I’d be able to tell you the maiden names of both your grandmothers, with one phone call. I’m totally on my own here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Watched the full video waiting to see something …..still waiting …did see lovely big mature trees and hedge grows

Yer standards must be very low lads.

I'd love to have a large estate like that with mature trees. It is mostly ash around here and the place is covered in them like weeds. When I visit national parks I bring home seeds of trees and put them in a bucket. I have a good few old Irish oak from Killarney planted around the place now. Horse chestnut, beech, and alot of sycamore. Might get to see them some way mature before I die.

As distinct from a savant like you that never did anything only carry on from daddy’s and mammys little paddock…I wait with bated breath for your unique insight into farming matters.

More like that please.

Ahh I could never be as insightful as yourself, sure what would I know about farming after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

What's people's thoughts on buying in incalf heifers as appose to rearing your own?

Easier life and more profitable if you are putting extra cows in their place. Risk of buying in disease. I wouldn't do it myself regardless of figures because I enjoy the breeding side of farming.

I’d prefer breed my own too as can breed what I want from best cows …buyers in can be hit and miss and bar a genuine clearance sale no one sells there best stock

Every farmer has a slighty different breeding policy. You'll never quite buy the ones that you'd be trying to breed yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you can find a consistent supplier of quality stock it may be a runner, although that may be difficult to do. Only dealing with cows can really streamline things and would allow you to carry the few extra. Cost wise it prob won't be cheaper for the right stock.

Risk would be TB restrictions if they occur on either side.

If looking for a seller finding someone that's selling every year would be a start. Also would prob be advisable to be vaccinating for everything to be on the safe side.

I dunno about that tbh

few guys in my dg would have sold stock over the years and they’d always tell you when you get to a stage of having surplus they’re all good and there’s not a whole pile of difference in the bunch if you’re breeding off the best 50% of the herd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I would say you'd probably find someone who would be happy to breed for you. Once you trust them to do have everything right then that should eliminate the health/disease concerns. As Grasstomilk says there will be very little difference between the best and the worst calves in any year as you're only breeding from the top cows

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m guessing you’re talking about when you convert to dairy first and buy them to get up and running, rather than buying every year as a replacement/breeding policy?

I've pondered the same thing. And I’m going to hedge my bets by buying half FR heifers and half beef calves next Spring. Might be a little cheaper to buy all FR heifers as calves and bring thru to the parlour, but the beef ones will give a lump sum to purchase in-calf FR heifers or cows closer to the time.

And as the lads said above, there’s some good stock available out there now.

There’s no right or wrong way really in my view, only what works for you and your farm. And you’ll only figure out what works in hindsight!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Don’t know …no one I know selling stock would sell From m there best cows …what there selling would still be good …lots of risks buying in stock …there will always be duds and then there’s disease risks .if your really into breeding and cow families etc you’ll always breed your own as you have all the control from bulls used to how there reared etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know one or two selling stock annually, tbh the stock they sell if looking for that type would be as good as any in the herd as they have been selectively breeding so long.

I sell 10 or 15 heifer calves every year. You could pick out the first 5 to sell easy enough. It gets difficult after that and can be a bit like choosing a child to sell towards the end. I've definitely sold a few that I shouldn't have and kept a few that I shouldn't have.

Local guy that is always giving out about the Ai companies because their stock are no good and he has no milk out of his cows wanted me to sell him a number of calves every year as replacements. You can imagine him telling the whole place in a few years that my stock are no good either.

If I went to sell half my incalf heifers in the morning I’d have a hard job picking which ones tbh. They’re all off my better cows in the herd. No matter how good a job you’ll do picking them you’ll end up selling good ones imo

But you won’t sell the best ones from your best cows …generate loads of replacements here and sell every year …lots of repeat custom and some new …only cows up to 2 years ago I wouldn’t breed from are ones with poor feet /udders and scc ..now I’ve added cows I just don’t like and heifers that just don’t have enough milk …moved away mostly from chasing high ebi figure bulls 2 years ago to strong cow families with milk and solids and type to boot …consistency I want starting to come through and at dairy sales good functional cows with ability to milk have and will command a premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

My thinking here is when I convert I can milk 60 medium output cow on my own ground here with no derogation,..but to keep at the 60 an breed my own replacements I'd have to go over the 170kg/N..really don't want to factor in relaying on derogation as a smaller new entrant

They call that a flying herd around here. You will also be at the mercy of the market when you go to buy but if you buy something confirmed in calf you have already cut out alot of risk. Disease would be the biggest risk like mortellaro. And sure if you only want mediocre cows then it should be fine.

I'd say a better policy than banking on derogation remaining anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mind-boggling given the investment in the new rotary, record high milk prices and we are only into the second week of August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

Saw that earlier ….pure bankers considering the year that’s in it …you’d imagine staff ain’t an issue there thought better of asking what volume they were doing for fear of been a negative fook😀😀

Isn't it gas how they put up the percentages and no mention of kgMs or litres.

How dare one even ask about something like volume …sure that dosnt matter all the smart arse comments start flossing in if u ask that …not worth the Agro

I would of expected protein % to be better with a x bred herd like that and dropping a few milking a a week

• Advertisement
Advertisement